Winch rope extension question

Woodscavenger
Model Year: 2014

Winch rope extension question

Post by Woodscavenger » Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:13 am

Have searched, browsed, looked, googled and amazoned.

I want roughly a 50- 100' synthetic winch rope extension. On amazon I can find 3/8" synthetic "winch ropes" for about $100. They have a loop on one end but a metal lug on the other to bolt up to the winch drum. When I look for ropes with loops at both ends the prices dramatically shoot up and the prices usually double. Am I missing something? Is it that difficult to create a double loop or is there no demand?

Do I just by the first option then create a DIY loop on the lug end of the rope?

NovA ProspekT
50_Posts
50_Posts
Model Year: 2007

Re: Winch rope extension question

Post by NovA ProspekT » Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:56 am

AMAZON can sometimes have inconsistent pricing depending on which vendor has a certain product in-stock. Which lines are you looking at exactly? Are you comparing apples to apples?

Here are a few options:
$305.00 - Master-Pull Classic Synthetic Winch Line, No Hook, 3/8" x 100'
$305.00 - Master-Pull Classic Synthetic Winch Line Extension, No Hook, 3/8" x 100'

$510.00 - Master-Pull SUPERLINE Synthetic Winch Line, No Hook, 3/8" x 100'
$485.00 - Master-Pull SUPERLINE Synthetic Winch Line Extension, No Hook, 3/8" x 100'

Viking Offroad Synthetic Winch Line Extension 3/8" x 50'
WARN Spydura Synthetic Winch Line Extension 3/8" x 50'

A word of caution, NEVER use anything metal(shackle, hook, etc.) to connect winch line/rope together.
2007 DODGE POWER WAGON: 5.7L Hemi V8/Auto, Quad Cab, Flame Red
- Spintech Super Pro Street 9000 Muffler, Electronic Exhaust Cutout, Transgo Shift-Kit
- COOPER S/T MAXX(37x12.5R17), Carli High Clearance Control Arms, Carli HD Ball-joints
- Aluminess Front Bumper, Back Rack w/ Side-rails, Truxedo LoPro QT Tonneau Cover
- JW Speaker TS4000 Driving Lights, Grote 30" LED Off-road Light Bar, Bosch Compact 100 Fog Lights
2004 JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE OVERLAND: 4.7L High Output PowerTech V8, Quadra-Drive, Inferno Red
- OME HD 1.5" Lift Coil Springs, Bilstein 5100 Shocks, JKS HD Trackbar, Core4x4 Tier4 Control Arms
- Nokian Hakkapeliitta 9 SUV(245/70R17) Winter Tires, 3" Exhaust w/ Magnaflow Cats/Y-Pipe & Muffler
- JW Speaker TS4000 Driving Lights, Hella 350 LED Wide Beam Light Bar
1998 JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE 5.9 LIMITED: 5.9L Magnum R/T V8, Quadra-Trac, Deep Slate Black
- H&R Sport Progressive Springs w/spacers(Stock height), Bilstein 4600 Shocks, OEM Euro Headlamps
- Doug Thorley Tri-Y Long-tube headers, MOPAR M1 Intake, BBK Power Plus twin 52mm Throttle Body
[My Flickr] - [Power Wagon Build Thread]
“The death-knell of the republic had rung as soon as the active power became lodged in the hands of those who sought, not to do justice to all citizens, rich and poor alike, but to stand for one special class and for its interests as opposed to the interests of others.” ~ Theodore Roosevelt

verdesardog
500_Posts
500_Posts
Model Year: 2006

Post by verdesardog » Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:05 am

but the less expensive one and splice your own loop on the end..... :cheers:
2006 Big Horn 2500 Ram CTD. IMAGINE ALL THE PEOPLE LIVING LIFE IN PEACE

Low_Sky
500_Posts
500_Posts
Model Year: 2015

Post by Low_Sky » Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:22 pm

You'll have a hard time finding an extension among the importers selling synthetic ropes on Amazon. Look for a shop that sells winch ropes and you'll have plenty of options to choose from.

If you're going to be using synthetic winch rope, you should have the tools and know-how to splice it. If the best deal you can find is on a main line (eye at one end, and a drum attachment at the other), buy it and splice your own eye.
John
Alaska
2015 PW on 2.5" Thuren Kings
My build thread

coder
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by coder » Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:40 pm

NovA ProspekT wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:56 am
A word of caution, NEVER use anything metal(shackle, hook, etc.) to connect winch line/rope together.
What are you supposed to use then? If you use a damper or two not sure why this is a problem please advise.
Vehicle: 2007 Power Wagon Quad Cab - Factory Options (Inferno Red, Premium Cloth Bench Seat, Light Group, Automatic Transmission, Leather Steering Wheel)
Suspension: Carli 3" Hemi Coils, Carli Control Arms, Carli King 2.5 Pin-Tops, Carli Stainless Steering Stabilizer, Carli Trackbar | Synergy 1" Rear Shackle
Performance: Magnaflow Muffler | Magnaflow Y-Pipe
Wheels/Tires: Yokohama X-A/T 35x12.5x17
Steering/Drivetrain/Axles: Carli Front Diff Guard | Dynatrac Ball Joints | Mopar HD Steering Gear
Miscellaneous: Line-X Bedliner | Locker Bypass Switch | Mopar Rock Rails | Odyssey Extreme 65-PC1750T | Performance Friction Brake Pads | Weathertech Digital Fit Mats | Winch Thermal Protection Bypass

Low_Sky
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by Low_Sky » Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:48 am

coder wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:40 pm
NovA ProspekT wrote:
What are you supposed to use then? If you use a damper or two not sure why this is a problem please advise.
Zip ties ‘n’ duct tape.

Or soft shackles. Or loop the eyes together with a wood dowel, rolled up magazine or newspaper stuck through. I wouldn’t say “never”, but a screw pin shackle wouldn’t be my first choice to join two ropes because of the likelihood of loading the shackle sideways.
John
Alaska
My build thread

Reloaderguy
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2016

Post by Reloaderguy » Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:13 am

Low_Sky wrote:
Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:48 am
coder wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:40 pm
NovA ProspekT wrote:
Zip ties ‘n’ duct tape.

Or soft shackles. Or loop the eyes together with a wood dowel, rolled up magazine or newspaper stuck through. I wouldn’t say “never”, but a screw pin shackle wouldn’t be my first choice to join two ropes because of the likelihood of loading the shackle sideways.
I was wondering the same thing. Shackles are easily cross loaded when joining a winch rope and extension (or strap) and can become a rather heavy projectile if they break. However, it is generally accepted in other types of applications (high angle rigging/climbing) that joining soft rigging with soft rigging (soft eyelet winch rope with soft shackle / rope through a sling) should be avoided because the union creates friction which in turn reduces the load rating. The eyelet through eyelet you mentioned is essentially a square knot with an obstruction to keep it from tightening. Square knots reduce the breaking strength of the line (at the bends) by 45% (eyelets in straps are often reinforced).

Low_Sky
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by Low_Sky » Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:25 pm

On the square knot, if the strength is reduced by half(ish) where the line is doubled (at the eye), aren’t you right back where you started.

My extension has chafe guards in the eyes and my soft shackles are a lot stronger than my winch rope, so chafing through my rigging isn’t something that worries me. I haven’t had to do any really hard pulls with the winch, but the light winching I have done hasn’t put any significant wear on my soft rigging components.
John
Alaska
My build thread

Reloaderguy
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by Reloaderguy » Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:36 pm

I don't know the answer. I would use the soft shackle but I'd like to know how it's supposed to be done. I've rapped off some seriously sketchy tat when needed, some times you have to make do.

TwinStick

Post by TwinStick » Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:16 pm

I have used D-clevis's my whole life when wincing, with no issues. I just go slow & make sure everything is straight and proper before putting full force on your rigging. Yes, sometimes you need to make many trips up and down your rigging but slow & steady wins the race when winching.

NovA ProspekT
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by NovA ProspekT » Sun Mar 25, 2018 3:50 pm

Suppose you are extracting a stuck vehicle and the conditions require the length of two straps, they are joined together in the middle by a steel shackle. Should one of the straps fail while under tension, that heavy metal shackle is now flying through the air in the opposite direction of the broken strap, constrained only by the length of that strap. The concern isn't so much that the shackle itself will fail. It's much the same reason why a steel winch line should never be run with out a weighted damper. Now, I suppose that if you have no other choice but to join straps with a metal shackle, you'd be fine with a weighted damper over it, but it's still a bad-habit to get into. I personally have several of the GatorJaw synthetic shackles, which have many other uses as well.

Here's a good PDF on the subject: How to Join Recovery Straps

...and another: BillaVista's Recovery Bible
- Spintech Super Pro Street 9000 Muffler, Electronic Exhaust Cutout, Transgo Shift-Kit
- COOPER S/T MAXX(37x12.5R17), Carli High Clearance Control Arms, Carli HD Ball-joints
- Aluminess Front Bumper, Back Rack w/ Side-rails, Truxedo LoPro QT Tonneau Cover
- JW Speaker TS4000 Driving Lights, Grote 30" LED Off-road Light Bar, Bosch Compact 100 Fog Lights
2004 JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE OVERLAND: 4.7L High Output PowerTech V8, Quadra-Drive, Inferno Red
- OME HD 1.5" Lift Coil Springs, Bilstein 5100 Shocks, JKS HD Trackbar, Core4x4 Tier4 Control Arms
- Nokian Hakkapeliitta 9 SUV(245/70R17) Winter Tires, 3" Exhaust w/ Magnaflow Cats/Y-Pipe & Muffler
1998 JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE 5.9 LIMITED: 5.9L Magnum R/T V8, Quadra-Trac, Deep Slate Black
- H&R Sport Progressive Springs w/spacers(Stock height), Bilstein 4600 Shocks, OEM Euro Headlamps
- Doug Thorley Tri-Y Long-tube headers, MOPAR M1 Intake, BBK Power Plus twin 52mm Throttle Body
“The death-knell of the republic had rung as soon as the active power became lodged in the hands of those who sought, not to do justice to all citizens, rich and poor alike, but to stand for one special class and for its interests as opposed to the interests of others.” ~ Theodore Roosevelt

Bill2014
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by Bill2014 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:52 pm

NovA ProspekT wrote:
Sun Mar 25, 2018 3:50 pm
Suppose you are extracting a stuck vehicle and the conditions require the length of two straps, they are joined together in the middle by a steel shackle. Should one of the straps fail while under tension, that heavy metal shackle is now flying through the air in the opposite direction of the broken strap, constrained only by the length of that strap. The concern isn't so much that the shackle itself will fail. It's much the same reason why a steel winch line should never be run with out a weighted damper. Now, I suppose that if you have no other choice but to join straps with a metal shackle, you'd be fine with a weighted damper over it, but it's still a bad-habit to get into. I personally have several of the GatorJaw synthetic shackles, which have many other uses as well.

Here's a good PDF on the subject: How to Join Recovery Straps

...and another: BillaVista's Recovery Bible
No doubt winching has the potential to be dangerous. How many people die each year by getting hit with a failed projectile shackle? I searched around for a while and couldn't find any. But I do believe it could and does happen. Looks like cable breaks, strap breaks, chain breaks, and parts breaking free from the recovered items are the most common.

I only use straps with loops that are rated well above the max pulling capacity of any winch or crane I'm using - regardless of how big or small the item is that I'm trying to move. I connect loop straps together by looping them through themselves - you can't break a shackle if you don't ever use them.

As far as the Power Wagon winching goes, the winch itself is the weakest link. I'll continue to use my steel line and hook with the latch - and connect the hook directly to the strap loop(s). Maybe I've just been lucky over the past 50 years ;)

If suddenly I disappear from the forum, you'll know what happened :D
2014 Power Wagon Laramie
Titan V5 2.5" Receiver Pintle Hook
Warn wireless winch controller
.188" DOM White Knuckle Rock Sliders
Locker Bypass & Nanny Kill Switch

Moab 2006

NovA ProspekT
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by NovA ProspekT » Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:57 pm

Bill2014 wrote:
Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:52 pm
No doubt winching has the potential to be dangerous. How many people die each year by getting hit with a failed projectile shackle? I searched around for a while and couldn't find any. But I do believe it could and does happen. Looks like cable breaks, strap breaks, chain breaks, and parts breaking free from the recovered items are the most common.

I only use straps with loops that are rated well above the max pulling capacity of any winch or crane I'm using - regardless of how big or small the item is that I'm trying to move. I connect loop straps together by looping them through themselves - you can't break a shackle if you don't ever use them.

As far as the Power Wagon winching goes, the winch itself is the weakest link. I'll continue to use my steel line and hook with the latch - and connect the hook directly to the strap loop(s). Maybe I've just been lucky over the past 50 years ;)

Of course, there are risks inherent to everything we do in life. Maybe I'm a Safety Sally, but I believe in doing everything possible to stack the deck in your favor. Using proper equipment, that is properly rigged, sure, there shouldn't be an issue, but as a wise-man once said: "shit happens". As you noted above, recovery gear can and has failed.

Alright, so, peep this:

Maybe your buddy's Ferd Craptor is stuck in a pothole in the mall parking lot, it's late at night so visibility is poor, that massive vape cloud isn't helping either. You don't want to get your truck too close to his for fear of catching AIDS, so you decide to attach your strap to your buddies with a properly rated steel shackle. You still haven't realized that your buddy has a history of poor judgement; his budget-brand strap has been sitting exposed to the elements in the back of his "truck" for years now. "Good to go" you think, before putting the Almighty Power Wagon in gear and unleashing all four hundred and ten horsepower. The strap is pulled taught, before failing(like his truck), sending that beefy steel shackle back towards his "truck" where it skips off of the aluminum hood(causing $10,000 worth of dents) and through the windshield. The shackle barely misses your buddies head, but not before ruining his favorite pair of Oakley's and effecticely totaling his "truck'.

Colibri
1000_Posts
1000_Posts
Model Year: 2009

Post by Colibri » Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:42 pm

Thanks nova, I love story time lol
Central Texas and Houston area
2009 5.7 auto quadcab
Carli 3” coils deaver leafs 3” kings with 4 tube bypass rear and fr/rr hydro bumps
Howe steering pump and gear with hydraulic ram assist
Custom tube bumpers and white knuckle sliders
Creative fab trussed axle. rem polished and cryoed 5.13 gears with arb lockers fr/rr
Sharadon stage 2 545rfe with 3000 stall edge converter
Lots of other stuff lol

nts007
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2008

Post by nts007 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:52 pm

NovA ProspekT wrote:
Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:57 pm
Bill2014 wrote:
Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:52 pm

Of course, there are risks inherent to everything we do in life. Maybe I'm a Safety Sally, but I believe in doing everything possible to stack the deck in your favor. Using proper equipment, that is properly rigged, sure, there shouldn't be an issue, but as a wise-man once said: "shit happens". As you noted above, recovery gear can and has failed.

Alright, so, peep this:

Maybe your buddy's Ferd Craptor is stuck in a pothole in the mall parking lot, it's late at night so visibility is poor, that massive vape cloud isn't helping either. You don't want to get your truck too close to his for fear of catching AIDS, so you decide to attach your strap to your buddies with a properly rated steel shackle. You still haven't realized that your buddy has a history of poor judgement; his budget-brand strap has been sitting exposed to the elements in the back of his "truck" for years now. "Good to go" you think, before putting the Almighty Power Wagon in gear and unleashing all four hundred and ten horsepower. The strap is pulled taught, before failing(like his truck), sending that beefy steel shackle back towards his "truck" where it skips off of the aluminum hood(causing $10,000 worth of dents) and through the windshield. The shackle barely misses your buddies head, but not before ruining his favorite pair of Oakley's and effecticely totaling his "truck'.
This is entirely incorrect. The moment said friend bought a ftrd crapper he was automatically added to the non friend list. You may see said non friend and just carry on driving by being sure to drive close enough for him to see and recognize you making sure to hit the giant puddle he was trying to avoid initially causing said pothole envelopment covering his truck and him with wet nasty slushy mud like substance since his window was down. Be sure to toss a wave as you carry on with your normal unspoiled non bad choice day.....
08 ctd--mini max--thuren 3" coils and LT Leaves--4.56 gears and lockers in pw axles--some lights--afe intake system--bd super b turbo--Banks w/m Injection--Dynatrac Balljoints--king 2.5"s--37" Hankook Dynapro MT--DOR Long arms--Custom emf track bar--Manual T-case swap--Full PW Under armor--PSC Hydro Assist and so much more

nts007
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2008

Post by nts007 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:54 pm

And I've had 2 ford tow hooks break off when winching them.
08 ctd--mini max--thuren 3" coils and LT Leaves--4.56 gears and lockers in pw axles--some lights--afe intake system--bd super b turbo--Banks w/m Injection--Dynatrac Balljoints--king 2.5"s--37" Hankook Dynapro MT--DOR Long arms--Custom emf track bar--Manual T-case swap--Full PW Under armor--PSC Hydro Assist and so much more

Low_Sky
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by Low_Sky » Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:56 pm

My favorite part was the reduced visibility due to vape cloud.
John
Alaska
My build thread

NovA ProspekT
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by NovA ProspekT » Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:01 am

nts007 wrote:
Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:54 pm
"BUILT FORD TOUGH".
:rofl:

Reloaderguy
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by Reloaderguy » Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:57 am

nts007 wrote:
Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:54 pm
I'm not surorised.

adeluca73
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by adeluca73 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:27 pm

Suggest tagging and bookmarking the Army Manual on rigging and winching linked below---I'll spare the pedantic resuscitation of force calcs, but suffice it to say, there's math to be done if you're concerned about breaking strengths.

Army Manual FM 5-125
2014 Ram PW SLT: 1st year of the Best Gen
<Build Thread>

TommyG
250_Posts
250_Posts
Model Year: 2012

Post by TommyG » Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:44 am

adeluca73 wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:27 pm
Suggest tagging and bookmarking the Army Manual on rigging and winching linked below---I'll spare the pedantic resuscitation of force calcs, but suffice it to say, there's math to be done if you're concerned about breaking strengths.

Army Manual FM 5-125
Thanks for the link.
2012 Power Wagon
White Knuckle Sliders, myoung locker bypass, Thuren Track Bar, Thuren Control Arms, Toyo Open Country RT 37x12.50, Method Race Wheels

trk4sale
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by trk4sale » Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:02 am

This is a great price for synthetic rope, if you don't mind green
https://www.westmarine.com/buy/samson-r ... cordNum=18

Never mind, they only have 5 feet of it! WTF?
Preview

2005 white Q.C. Power Wagon #1716
AEM Brute Force intake
Gibson CAT back exhaust
Super Chips Flashpac Tuner
Wet Okole seat covers
35" Nitto Trail Grappler Tires
Line-X bed coating
Trac Rac Sliding Lumber Rack
Dual Batteries w/ Hellroaring Technologies Isolator/Combiner
Extreme Outback Magnum on board air compressor
H2 rims

Low_Sky
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by Low_Sky » Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:43 pm

Lol, I went into my local West Marine when I saw them put that on sale a month or two ago. Had them try to get a hold of the store that had it. When my guy never called me back I assumed they had a less-than-usable quantity. If it looks too good to be true. . .
John
Alaska
My build thread

trk4sale
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by trk4sale » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:46 am

Last time it was on sale I got 40 feet to make soft shackles. Must have been lucky.
Preview

AEM Brute Force intake
Gibson CAT back exhaust
Wet Okole seat covers
Line-X bed coating
H2 rims

trk4sale
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by trk4sale » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:52 am

Damndest thing: clicked the link for kicks and was able to get 40 feet. Do some splicing and it will be a nice winch extension.
Preview

AEM Brute Force intake
Gibson CAT back exhaust
Wet Okole seat covers
Line-X bed coating
H2 rims