PowerSteps

If it's about Power Wagons, all generations, this is where it'll go. This is the original PWR Forum Power Wagon Technical Discussion Section. And this includes everything that doesn’t fit in any one of the other categories related to the truck goes here!
HockeyWagon
Model Year: 2019

PowerSteps

Post by HockeyWagon » Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:29 pm

Hi-
Anyone install Powersteps on their PW? Do you like them? Do they fold up out of the way enough for off-roading?

Retired BLM Rig
1000_Posts
1000_Posts
Model Year: 2008

Re: PowerSteps

Post by Retired BLM Rig » Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:40 pm

HockeyWagon wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:29 pm
Hi-
Anyone install Powersteps on their PW? Do you like them? Do they fold up out of the way enough for off-roading?
My answer to all of your questions is yes.

SeppW
50_Posts
50_Posts
Model Year: 2016

Post by SeppW » Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:54 pm

I have them, but off road worthiness is uncertain. As long as it's light to moderate should be okay. But if doing something where the rockers would contact ground, rocks, stumps, or stuck in mud to the point the frame is submerged, then they would be more than likely damaged in some shape or form. All parts are replaceable and available though. There are some special maintenance actions required, but nothing out of the ordinary. All day job if you DIY and not without challenges. Just make you sure you follow the directions to a tee. If you muck up the rivet nuts you're not screwed, but you will be in a world of hurt to fix it. The rivet nuts are very soft and easily stripped. Rivets are also used to secure the linkages to frame, these are tough to install on the front linkage with their close proximity to the cab body mounts. Need to use a small drill with 90 degree chuck. There a number of ways to interface with truck electrical to trigger steps to deploy and stow. I recommend buying a Y cable and interface with the OBD II harness. Clean and no splicing into factory harness. AMP sells an OBD interface, but it has to remain plugged into port and it would not fit my port for some reason I can't recall, which is why I went with the Y harness. The Y harness keeps the OBD port open so diagnostic and programming devices can be attached. One additional tip, if after installing and the steps hit the pinch weld seam, deploy the steps, stand on them over the idler linkages, and bounce up and down a few times. That'll force the idler linkages to "settle" and it will clear the pinch weld.

I went with AMP Research. I think a 1 or 2 others make them, Bestop is another. Likely would have not done it all had wife not been complaining about getting into and out of truck, but after installed she was happy and I have to come like them too.

FordyceCreekTrail
500_Posts
500_Posts
Model Year: 2014

Post by FordyceCreekTrail » Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:43 pm

Rock Sliders are amazing as steps on these. I can simply walk into the cab. Hard to believe considering how hard it is to get in stock!
2018 Flame Red, Moon Roof, Dual Alternators, Ram Boxes sadly Ram ran out of, Luxo Package with 8.4 UConnect, Enter and Go with remote start, Auto Wipers and Lights. Added missing skids and White Knuckle sliders. 35" BFG KM3s. Procal and Warn wireless remote for winch.

Punishher7
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by Punishher7 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:10 am

FordyceCreekTrail wrote:Rock Sliders are amazing as steps on these. I can simply walk into the cab. Hard to believe considering how hard it is to get in stock!
Do you have WK sliders? I didn’t think they were low enough to be good steps? I’m still planning on getting them mainly for protection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FordyceCreekTrail
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by FordyceCreekTrail » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:57 am

Yes, I have WK. To be honest on all my other 4x4s sliders are actually a HINDRANCE to getting in! My Monteros, 4 Runner....But for what ever reason its perfect on the Power Wagon. I can walk up, step on the sliders and get in with out using the grab handle or anything else. If you had told me that before like I am telling you I would have laughed at you. To be honest, I love big 4x4s, but getting in before these was so miserable I really hated that. I even injured my arm jumping to grab that oh shit handle. Its pretty silly these trucks dont have something from the factory.
2018 Flame Red, Moon Roof, Dual Alternators, Ram Boxes sadly Ram ran out of, Luxo Package with 8.4 UConnect, Enter and Go with remote start, Auto Wipers and Lights. Added missing skids and White Knuckle sliders. 35" BFG KM3s. Procal and Warn wireless remote for winch.

Punishher7
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by Punishher7 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:04 am

FordyceCreekTrail wrote:Yes, I have WK. To be honest on all my other 4x4s sliders are actually a HINDRANCE to getting in! My Monteros, 4 Runner....But for what ever reason its perfect on the Power Wagon. I can walk up, step on the sliders and get in with out using the grab handle or anything else. If you had told me that before like I am telling you I would have laughed at you. To be honest, I love big 4x4s, but getting in before these was so miserable I really hated that. I even injured my arm jumping to grab that oh shit handle. Its pretty silly these trucks dont have something from the factory.

Great info, thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bill2014
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by Bill2014 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:06 am

All of the new 2019 Power Wagons on the dealer lots (that i've seen) do have some sort of steps. And it's definitely not a robust rock slider! :doh:

I'd rather have the step(s) as optional from the factory so the buyer can put on something appropriate based on their intended use (rocks or mall)
2014 Power Wagon Laramie
Titan V5 2.5" Receiver Pintle Hook
Warn wireless winch controller
.188" DOM White Knuckle Rock Sliders
Locker Bypass & Nanny Kill Switch

Moab 2006

KevinABQ
250_Posts
250_Posts
Model Year: 2018

Post by KevinABQ » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:12 am

With the plates the WKs are fine for the mall. Not as nice as some of the electric ones I’ve seen, but not bad.
2018 White Rambox, Diamondback HD bed cover, White Knuckle sliders, Carli and Purple Cranium diff guards, masterpull 11mm superline, 37 Toyo MT.

FordyceCreekTrail
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by FordyceCreekTrail » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:42 pm

The Raptor comes with a rock ready steps. Not sliders exactly, but I would take em. The cheap nerf bars they have are not appropriate. The PW deserves an innovative rock slider/step. May not be as nice as electrics, but they wont rip off as easy or be expensive to repair.

SeppW
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by SeppW » Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:44 pm

Bill2014 wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:06 am
All of the new 2019 Power Wagons on the dealer lots (that i've seen) do have some sort of steps. And it's definitely not a robust rock slider! :doh:

I'd rather have the step(s) as optional from the factory so the buyer can put on something appropriate based on their intended use (rocks or mall)
That stuff is usually for aesthetics and serve no functional purpose except lighten the pocket, especially if a dealer add-on.

HockeyWagon

Post by HockeyWagon » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:11 pm

Thanks all for the comments. I need the steps to help my parents step into the truck.

StefanB
Model Year: 2017

Post by StefanB » Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:58 am

Depending on the passengers size and physical fitness you definitly need steps on the Power Wagon, even more when you start increasing cab height with 35" or more tires and suspension mods.
I went with power steps because I love the ground free look of the truck with them tucked in and I hardly have the chance for ground contact with cab and frame where I go.

HockeyWagon

Post by HockeyWagon » Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:23 pm

Thanks Stephan. That’s what I’m thinking.

HockeyWagon

Post by HockeyWagon » Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:23 pm

Thanks Stephan. That’s what I’m thinking.

RustyPW
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2008

Post by RustyPW » Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:48 pm

Drove a 2019 1500 4x4 with power steps the other day. Didn't know it had the power steps. Open up the driver's side door, and the steps comes out and cranks me right in the shins. :shock: That got my attention.
PWOC #53
2008 POWER WAGON RC

My build thread. http://forum.powerwagonregistry.org/vie ... =13&t=2826 :cash: :cash:

Moab '09, '10, '12, '14.
Rausch Creek - Summer '10, Spring-Fall '11, Spring '12, Summer '13, Summer '14, Summer '15, Summer '16, Summer '17, Summer '18, Summer '20, Summer '22,
AOAA Summer '19.

Russ
NRA - Benefactor, Golden Eagle. :lockedandloaded:

POk3s

Post by POk3s » Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:46 pm

I also have them and like them. I was worried and was told “ah you’ll just rip them off.” Or I had a buddy tell me that during the winter Is hate them and that I’d end up ruining them. Well I’ve had the truck with them on it for over a year now and except for a few times they were frozen against the cab or had so much mud build up on them that they wouldn’t “close”, that’s been the only times they haven’t worked flawlessly.

They were frozen against the cab for about a week and I was worried they were ruined but after thawing our they went right back to performing flawlessly.

Side note- make sure you watch the faces on your first time passengers. It’s a good belly laugh when that step pops out and scares them to death.

HockeyWagon

Post by HockeyWagon » Sat Sep 21, 2019 7:59 pm

POk3s wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:46 pm
I also have them and like them. I was worried and was told “ah you’ll just rip them off.” Or I had a buddy tell me that during the winter Is hate them and that I’d end up ruining them. Well I’ve had the truck with them on it for over a year now and except for a few times they were frozen against the cab or had so much mud build up on them that they wouldn’t “close”, that’s been the only times they haven’t worked flawlessly.

They were frozen against the cab for about a week and I was worried they were ruined but after thawing our they went right back to performing flawlessly.

Side note- make sure you watch the faces on your first time passengers. It’s a good belly laugh when that step pops out and scares them to death.
👍

OffRoadRescue

Post by OffRoadRescue » Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:13 pm

I've been really happy with a Aries action track steps that way you have door ding protection and they drop another 8 in so it's almost like having two steps to get into the truck works great.
"YOU CAN GO FAST-I CAN GO ANYWHERE" :rockon:

HockeyWagon

Post by HockeyWagon » Thu Oct 03, 2019 1:34 pm

OffRoadRescue wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:13 pm
I've been really happy with a Aries action track steps that way you have door ding protection and they drop another 8 in so it's almost like having two steps to get into the truck works great.
Thanks. Those look great but appear to be more expensive? A drop of 8” on a PW isn’t too low?

SeppW
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by SeppW » Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:50 pm

The AMP power steps have safety switch that stops deploy/stow when a certain level of voltage is exceeded. You can also force the steps to stay deployed by stepping on them, apply pressure, and shut door. They'll stay deployed until you open and close door. Not sure what good that does, you really can't reach the roof top standing on the steps. AMP also makes bed steps for side and rear, but they are manual fold out and pricey (what isn't nowadays). I think the 2019s have a factory bed step now. Comes in handy getting into and out of bed. Can't jump into it like I did when I was younger, way younger.

POk3s

Post by POk3s » Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:10 pm

SeppW wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:50 pm
You can also force the steps to stay deployed by stepping on them, apply pressure, and shut door. They'll stay deployed until you open and close door. Not sure what good that does, you really can't reach the roof top standing on the steps.
Its rare that I have the answer to anything on this site but I have the answer to that! There’s no other way to clean the steps off or clean that area of the underside of the truck off without keeping the steps deployed. It may not seem like a big deal until you have 10 tons of mud under there.

OffRoadRescue

Post by OffRoadRescue » Sat Oct 26, 2019 6:33 pm

the action track steps you can turn them on or off where they stay up or stay down clean the roof they are expensive but I have a disabled wife and they work.. they're worth every penny
"YOU CAN GO FAST-I CAN GO ANYWHERE" :rockon:

HockeyWagon

Post by HockeyWagon » Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:40 am

I now have had the PowerSteps for about a week. Absolutely love them. They tuck out of the way helping the keep the original look of the PW and at the same time provide the perfect height when deployed for anyone to use. So far everyone who has seen and used them on my truck loves them.

HockeyWagon

Post by HockeyWagon » Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:40 am

I now have had the PowerSteps for about a week. Absolutely love them. They tuck out of the way helping the keep the original look of the PW and at the same time provide the perfect height when deployed for anyone to use. So far everyone who has seen and used them on my truck loves them.