Retired BLM Rig
1000_Posts
1000_Posts
Model Year: 2008

Abel Components Full SmartBar Bypass® $699

Post by Retired BLM Rig » Sun Feb 07, 2021 3:26 am

This post was last updated on 7/19/23 - Email: AbelComponents@yahoo.com

Abel Components Full SmartBar Bypass® - $699
The Full SmartBar Bypass combines the Locker Bypass and the Sway Bar Bypass into one component that still uses all the factory switches and is completely plug and play with no cutting or splicing of any factory wires. It gives you full control of the lockers and disconnecting sway bar, at any speed, in any transfer case range. It works on 2006-2018 Power Wagons (NOTE: This does not work on 2005 or 2019+ trucks). Installation takes 2-3 hours depending on your skill level and specific configuration.

Here’s a link to a short video I made bench testing the FSB: https://www.youtube.com/shorts/0bfFXOsUV7A

IMG_3193.JPG

For 2005 the standard Locker Bypass and Sway Bar Bypass will work to give you full control. 2005 is the only year that came with a separate factory sway bar switch and I've tried multiple times to make it work, only to end in frustration.

On 2019+ trucks these systems are controlled on the high speed CAN-Bus data stream and not with traditional switches. The only way to modify these systems on a 2019+ truck is to change the software (I'm not a software guy) or hardwire them with dedicated switches. The standard Abel Components Sway Bar Bypass works perfectly on 2019+ trucks. I also offer hardwired locker harnesses if you want to use your own switches.

As all of these trucks age and these systems fail and parts become obsolete, this is a viable option to restore proper function using the factory switches. Even if your locker/sway bar system is completely dead with no lights on the factory switch, I can build a kit that will bring it back to life for less than half the cost of a new Final Drive Control Module/SmartBar from the dealer.

To order any of the components that I offer here, contact me at: AbelComponents@yahoo.com :patriot:

A portion of the sale of these products is donated to Power Wagon Registry each month. :winchmob:
Last edited by Retired BLM Rig on Thu Jul 20, 2023 1:02 am, edited 8 times in total.

PWJouster
250_Posts
250_Posts
Model Year: 2018

Re: Abel Components Full SmartBar Bypass® $699

Post by PWJouster » Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:43 am

Abel just took 4th gens to the moon.
2018 Powerwagon-6.4 Hemi
Nanny kill switch and Locker Bypasses
Thuren Tuned King 3.0 & 2.5 Pintop Stage 3/2
17 Method NV-Toyo RT 37
Evo On-Demand Air Swaybar Disconnect
S&B Intake-Mufflex-Magnaflow/resonator delete
SPOD Bantam
On-Board air ARB CKMTA12
Baja design and Rigid Industries
Purple Cranium Spider dif guards
Pedal Commander

LockedandLoaded

Post by LockedandLoaded » Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:09 am

Just got mine installed. This is how the truck should have been from the factory! :cheers:

ScubaSteve
50_Posts
50_Posts
Model Year: 2016

Post by ScubaSteve » Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:03 pm

I'm assuming that there is not much that carries over from the Locker Bypass kit you have? If I were to upgrade to this setup, the only thing I would be able to retain would be the run to the rear locker, correct? Full control over the sway bar is looking very tempting.

Retired BLM Rig
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by Retired BLM Rig » Mon Aug 02, 2021 2:05 am

ScubaSteve wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:03 pm
I'm assuming that there is not much that carries over from the Locker Bypass kit you have? If I were to upgrade to this setup, the only thing I would be able to retain would be the run to the rear locker, correct? Full control over the sway bar is looking very tempting.
I was recently able to find a supply source for the connector that plugs into the back of the factory dash switch. I have a new prototype that's being installed and tested soon on a 4th gen. This new setup would eliminate the indicator light issues caused by wiring harness changes that occurred on the 4th gens. I'll send you an email to discuss some possible options for upgrading to this new system.
:patriot:

ThomasKeife

Post by ThomasKeife » Wed Sep 08, 2021 4:11 pm

I am currently dealing with my Ram dealer having my stock 2018 power wagon in and out of shop for four weeks now. It all started when the lights on the control knob for the front and rear lockers started flashing like they where trying to engage, while driving with the knob in off position in 2 wheel drive. Technician said a code was active: "C144E- front differential position sensor performance" so the nightmare began. The shop at dealership where I purchased my power wagon began trouble shooting. They started by servicing both axels and attempting to clean out any metal fragments from lockers magnetics. Then they replaced the front locker actuator claiming it had shorted out. Then they told me that the shorting out of the actuator sent a surge of power back to the smart bars control module damaging it. So I said ok replace the control module but the technician told me that they couldn't just replace the module they had to replace the entire sway bar and electronic disconnect assembly as the module was only available connected to the assembly. Feeling I had no other option at the time I agreed and allowed them to replace the smart bar sway bar entire assembly including the new control module $2900. Mind you the repair cost is climbing I'm well over $3,500 now and the lights are still flashing on the knob that controls the lockers. The electronic sway bar disconnect and the lockers still won't function for more than a few seconds before the truck disables them again. The lights still are flashing regardless of position of switch/knob. Now the dealership says they have to consult Ram engineering as everything they have done according to their procedures should have corrected the problem and they are stumped meanwhile I'm without my truck. This all started about 2,000 miles after the trucks warranty had expired. I am curious about this new full smart bar bypass kit including locker bypass that connects to the stock switch to bar and knob to lockers with out warning light and codes. Could this kit possibly fix my problem? Being able to use my sway bar disconnect and lockers at my discretion regardless of drivetrain position or vehicle speed sounds amazing and is how all my older 4x4s where built to work. I don't like having a computer control all my off-road components. I can do basic wiring with with good instructions but I am no technician. Please help!?

Bigbrokenzj

Re: Abel Components Full SmartBar Bypass[emoji2400] $699

Post by Bigbrokenzj » Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:11 pm

While I can’t speak to the smart bar bypass, I installed the locker bypass and nanny kill last week. The components are super well made and Abel components is a fantastic to deal with. Everything worked perfect out of the package. Well worth it.
2018 PW

Retired BLM Rig
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by Retired BLM Rig » Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:48 am

ThomasKeife wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 4:11 pm
I am currently dealing with my Ram dealer having my stock 2018 power wagon in and out of shop for four weeks now. It all started when the lights on the control knob for the front and rear lockers started flashing like they where trying to engage, while driving with the knob in off position in 2 wheel drive. Technician said a code was active: "C144E- front differential position sensor performance" so the nightmare began. The shop at dealership where I purchased my power wagon began trouble shooting. They started by servicing both axels and attempting to clean out any metal fragments from lockers magnetics. Then they replaced the front locker actuator claiming it had shorted out. Then they told me that the shorting out of the actuator sent a surge of power back to the smart bars control module damaging it. So I said ok replace the control module but the technician told me that they couldn't just replace the module they had to replace the entire sway bar and electronic disconnect assembly as the module was only available connected to the assembly. Feeling I had no other option at the time I agreed and allowed them to replace the smart bar sway bar entire assembly including the new control module $2900. Mind you the repair cost is climbing I'm well over $3,500 now and the lights are still flashing on the knob that controls the lockers. The electronic sway bar disconnect and the lockers still won't function for more than a few seconds before the truck disables them again. The lights still are flashing regardless of position of switch/knob. Now the dealership says they have to consult Ram engineering as everything they have done according to their procedures should have corrected the problem and they are stumped meanwhile I'm without my truck. This all started about 2,000 miles after the trucks warranty had expired. I am curious about this new full smart bar bypass kit including locker bypass that connects to the stock switch to bar and knob to lockers with out warning light and codes. Could this kit possibly fix my problem? Being able to use my sway bar disconnect and lockers at my discretion regardless of drivetrain position or vehicle speed sounds amazing and is how all my older 4x4s where built to work. I don't like having a computer control all my off-road components. I can do basic wiring with with good instructions but I am no technician. Please help!?
As you know I already responded to your email. For the benefit of others reading this thread: Yes this bypass system would solve your problem and give you full control of these critical Power Wagon accessories. It takes basic skills and 2-3 hours to install.
:patriot:

Mountaingoat1

Post by Mountaingoat1 » Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:56 pm

Will this full smart bar bypass work on a 2021 or is that where you said it’s a software issue? I just traded my 2018 in on a 21’ and I am missing the locker bypass already! It worked flawlessly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Retired BLM Rig
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by Retired BLM Rig » Sat Sep 18, 2021 2:05 am

Mountaingoat1 wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:56 pm
Will this full smart bar bypass work on a 2021 or is that where you said it’s a software issue? I just traded my 2018 in on a 21’ and I am missing the locker bypass already! It worked flawlessly.
The 2021 stock allows the rear locker to work in 2H, 4H and 4L. The front locker only works in 4L. You have to be traveling less than 3 MPH to engage them. Once it's locked, you're good to go. The only way to bypass the new trucks is to hardwire them, because they're controlled on the CAN-Bus high speed data stream.

stvnqn

Post by stvnqn » Thu May 04, 2023 5:42 pm

I have a 2018 PW I’m looking for the kit that will let me control the lockers.

trailwagons

Post by trailwagons » Fri May 05, 2023 4:05 pm

Email sent from codyjash@gmail.com

I'm needing this full smartbar bypass kit for my 2016 PW that's giving me fits.

Demon85z

Post by Demon85z » Fri May 26, 2023 9:55 pm

I must have been one of the lucky ones to never experience any smartbar related issues. If I followed the very very strict ram rules,the blinking lights would go solid and the lockers and swaybar would perform as advertised. I decided I didn't wanna live by rules set by another, and Abel gave me back the truck I paid for! The power wagon comes with lockers and a swaybar disconnect, but with all the safety measures in place it makes it hard to use the truck for what it's meant for. I highly recommend this kit to anyone that knows what they are doing and wants to use their truck how they see fit. Say goodbye to the 10 step process and hello to the flip of a switch..a factory switch at that! I also picked up the nanny killswitch. I took a few breaks, ate some dinner, and still had this all installed in about 4 hours from start. I received everything extremely well packaged and labeled. Instructions were step by step with pictures. I had every last bit of what I needed to install it all in the kit. I really appreciate all the hard work and time that has been put into this. The attention to detail and hassle free install can't be beat with this kit. Thanks David!
2016 flame red slt
S&B cold air intake
Mufflex muffler delete
Moes 87mm throttle body/afe spacer
Diablosport pulsar tuner
Abel components full smartbar/nanny killswitch
Purple cranium front and rear half spider guards
Dethloff mfg rear sway bar spacer kit
Dodge offroad steering brace
Thuren front and rear track bars
Thuren 1.5 front coil springs
Thuren front and rear sway bar endlinks
Thuren king steering stabilizer
Bilstein 5100 front and rear shocks
Thuren front boogie bumps
Synergy drag link and tie rod
CJC method gold 315s nitto 35 ridge grapplers
Powerstop z36 front and rear brakes and rotors
Retrax pro xr bed cover
Optima yellow top
Randy ellis front light bar mount 30" rigid bar
Rigid dual pod fog lights
Rigid d2 pro rear bumper lights
Rigid 4" 360 ditch lights sdhq brackets
Led hi/lo headlights leds through entire truck
Arb twin on board air desert does it seat mount
Uniden cb firstik antenna
Factor 55 2.5 hitchlink and ultra hook
Weathertech front and rear floor mats
*Future*
White knuckle sliders
Yakima overhaul hd rack
Leather heated seats
Dethloff mfg transmission skid plate

DesertExplorer75
Model Year: 2017

Post by DesertExplorer75 » Wed Jul 19, 2023 10:23 pm

Email sent.....pray this work!
2017 Tradesman Power Wagon in Bright White
Thuren .5 Front Springs -Thuren tuned Fox 2.0 shocks Thuren Front Track Bar - Thuren Rear Track Bar
Synergy Drag Link - Fox 2.0 ATS Steering Damper
AEV Salta HD Wheels with BFG KO2 37x12.5x17 tires
AAM 5.13 Gearing front and rear
Leer 100XL Camper Shell with Yakima/Whispbar Crossbars
Front and Rear bumpers Line-X'd
Baja Designs flush mount reverse lights in rear bumper
Line-X in bed
Morimoto bi-LED Headlights and LED Fogs
Factor 55 Prolink for the winch
Firestone Airbags with Daystar Cradle
Undercover Swing Case in truck bed
Front window tint 35%
Mopar all-weather floor mats
White Knuckle Sliders
SDHQ A-Pillar Brackets with Baja Designs XL80s
SPOD Bantam
Abel Full Smartbar Bypass with power via SPOD

Retired BLM Rig
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by Retired BLM Rig » Thu Jul 20, 2023 1:00 am

Email response sent.
If your axle actuators are capable of working, then the FSB will solve your problems. It replaces all the electronics except for the axle actuators and the factory dash switch.