Locker Bypass Improvements

Retired BLM Rig products
Retired BLM Rig
1000_Posts
1000_Posts
Model Year: 2008

Locker Bypass Improvements

Post by Retired BLM Rig » Thu May 30, 2019 2:49 am

I've been making some changes to the Locker Bypass. There's already a few of these out in the wild with some good feedback.

New Control Box - 2.jpg
The first improvement is a control box that's 30% smaller giving it some better mounting options.

New Control Box - 1.jpg
The new box is square instead of rectangular making it symmetrical so the box can be rotated 90º on the flanged base to provide improved wire harness routing options. The supplier is CNC machining the cutout for the bulkhead connector for me, which gives it better fit and finish.

New Control Box - 3.jpg
It's still a rugged, heavy duty waterproof enclosure. There's a silicone gasket that fits in the groove of the base.
New Control Box - 4.jpg
New Control Box - 5.jpg
Once the gasket is pushed to the bottom of the groove it's barely noticeable.
The 12 pin connector I use is also rated for outdoor, waterproof applications. There was one person that had some water get inside the box. The only way I can imagine that it got in there would be if the electrical connector was facing up and rain water was allowed to pool on the connector and then as the enclosure was exposed to expansion and contraction, heating and cooling cycles in the engine compartment, some moisture was drawn in around the wires. So word to the wise, try to keep the electrical connector at a downward angle to shed water rather than collect it. I also pressure test each unit once it's assembled. If anyone else has had any issues like this, please let me know so I can address it and maintain QC.

Previously I was using two different control boxes for 3rd and 4th gen trucks, but now with this smaller enclosure... one size fits all.
:patriot:

AceMan
Site Admin
Site Admin
Model Year: 2006

Re: Locker Bypass Improvements

Post by AceMan » Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:47 am

test test

Retired BLM Rig
1000_Posts
1000_Posts
Model Year: 2008

Post by Retired BLM Rig » Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:39 am

One of the ways I was able to downsize the control box was to downsize the components inside the box. The relays on the left are the original ISO style that Morgan was using and the ones on the right are what I'm currently using. They are the same brand and type found in your factory fusebox and have the same amp rating.

IMG_1996.jpg
Comparing the difference between Mini and Micro relays.

Also Morgan's relays weren't easily replaceable, but now mine are.

Using smaller relays has made room for more components. Here's what the inside of the new "Full SmartBar Bypass" looks like.

IMG_2520.jpg
Inside the new "Full SmartBar Bypass"

Mule007
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by Mule007 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:50 am

Nice work Retired BLM rig 🌞👍
:patriot:2005 Mineral Grey; QC- #0666: "Laramie", power heated Leather seats, tow mirrors, dual zones, Alpine 9 speaker surround sound, steering wheel cruise control, music & volume controls; remote start, 6 CD player, AC; dark charcoal silver interior.
Additions: Frame mounted .188 DOM 3" steel rock rails, low profile steps;1.5” Skyjacker leveling kit; Bully Dog GT Platinum A-pillar mount programmable performance chip, monitor,& tuner; Linex Platinum OTR HD bed & rock panel coating; Red Ryder matching cab high fiberglass canopy; 2” Linex brush guard w/4-4” Halogen off road lights; Hopkins Trailer Mate brake controller; Bearcat Pro 68XL CB; Mopar black fender flares; PW winch accessory kit/remote control.
Tools: hand tools, 60” Extreme High Lift; rigging; straps; shackles; F&R chains; (2ea) rear wheel well NATO 20 L narrow gas cans & 5# extinguishers
Updates: Jasper Remfgr’d 5.7 Hemi Engine; Open Range AT 35x12.5 x17 MP3 10 ply E tires; Moog HD U/L front axle ball joints & wheel bearings; new link, sway, y bar & bushing assemblies; fuel pump; A/C exhaust fan & compressor;1 ton HEMI transmission cooler; OEM radiator; front pinion seal & bearing; Denso 180-amp alternator; Megatron 850 CCA HD battery; water pump, serpentine belt, Bilstein 2 5100 shocks/HD steering damper; F&R locker assembly & sensors/u joints; 3" Magna flow cat back rear exit dual exhausts; Performance Brake/slotted rotor/caliper/pads