Towing a smaller 5th wheel. Issues to be aware of?

quicksandatl
Model Year: 2019

Towing a smaller 5th wheel. Issues to be aware of?

Post by quicksandatl » Wed Sep 09, 2020 3:44 pm

I have a 2020 PW. I'm in the market for a 5th wheel around 28-34' length. The hitch weight on these runs around 1200-1700 lbs, the upper of which is going to max out my payload. Either way I want to invest in timbrens or airbags. Can someone offer me any advice about what to be aware of running a 5th wheel on a PW?

RustyPW
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2008

Re: Towing a smaller 5th wheel. Issues to be aware of?

Post by RustyPW » Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:43 pm

You have to watch out for the top of the bed on the truck. Make sure you have enough clearance. One guy, can't remember who. Damaged the bed and the camper when he made an off camber turn.
PWOC #53
2008 POWER WAGON RC

My build thread. http://forum.powerwagonregistry.org/vie ... =13&t=2826 :cash: :cash:

Moab '09, '10, '12, '14.
Rausch Creek - Summer '10, Spring-Fall '11, Spring '12, Summer '13, Summer '14, Summer '15, Summer '16, Summer '17, Summer '18, Summer '20, Summer '22,
AOAA Summer '19.

Russ
NRA - Benefactor, Golden Eagle. :lockedandloaded:

FirerescuePW
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by FirerescuePW » Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:13 pm

RustyPW wrote:You have to watch out for the top of the bed on the truck. Make sure you have enough clearance. One guy, can't remember who. Damaged the bed and the camper when he made an off camber turn.
This, for sure! The extra height of the PW could be a problem. Look at pin height, frame height, etc. Try to buy one you won't have to modify for extra height. Trailer and frame manufacturers will dump the warranty at the first sign of mods.

You already accept that you need supplemental suspension, so you're on the right track there.

Weight police alert- check pin, dry, gross, and axle weights and do ALL the math. People and gear count towards gross weight. Some will insist that you show your work. LOL!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

'05 Mineral Gray Power Wagon QC #1005

WINCH MOB PROUD!

SuperChips FlashPaq; DT ProFab Steering Brace; 08.5 Steering linkage (twice); Toyo Open Country M/T 35/12.50x17; Carli front diff guard; Rockcrusher rear diff cover; White Knuckle Offroad Rock Rails; Carli 3"coils, track bar, and High Clearance Control Arms; Carli King 2.5" Remote Resi Shocks; Reflex spray-in liner; Extang Trifecta tonneau cover; Pop Lock electric tailgate lock (OOS); Tekonsha Prodigy brake control; LEDS & Strobes & Siren; Winch TPS Bypass; Warn Wireless Remote; Dog hair, and a BIG Wish List!

ScubaSteve
50_Posts
50_Posts
Model Year: 2016

Post by ScubaSteve » Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:26 pm

Airlifter bags and Daystar cradles are the way to go to retain all of your Power Wagon articulation goodness while increasing your carrying capacity. Also bear in mind your local/state laws because while it is a 2500, and has all the appropriate framework and running gear, the door plate does specify a fairly mediocre GVWR and payload capacity. You probably won't ever get a second look, but if you ever got pulled over and you're over weight, that could potentially spell trouble.

As others have mentioned, watch out for the bedsides. Some 5th wheels sit awfully close to the bedsides and tailgate even on lower trucks, and smacking them will be costly. Some 5th wheel trailers can be adjusted ride-height wise so you're not just raising the pin box, but that also means higher center of gravity.

Personally I would rather have a tag trailer than a 5th wheel with the Power Wagon, but ideally I would want a gooseneck, but gooseneck campers aren't really a thing as far as I've seen, aside from the redneck toy hauler setup.