2007 Winch Parasitic Drain on Battery

Discussions including Electrical / Lighting & Accessories / Onboard Air
coder
1000_Posts
1000_Posts
Model Year: 2007

2007 Winch Parasitic Drain on Battery

Post by coder » Sat Jan 30, 2021 12:50 pm

For the last year or more my wich has be doing a parasitic drain on my battery. At first I thought is was the battery so I replaced that, then the alternator so I replaced that, however persisted the drain continued about 30% of a full battery overnight. Finally I took it to a local shop and they were able isolate the drain to the winch.

I called Warn tech support and asked them about possible causes for the parasitic drain. They indicated that a bad solenoids, cross-wiring of the control pack to the solenoids or even plugging in the remote and leaving it there all night would cause that much of a drain.

I am not an electrical guru by any means. I'm going to move the winch today check all the wiring positive and negative to the battery so possible grounding and double check the control pack to the solenoid setup. Do any of you guys have any thoughts/ideas and what else I might need to do to troubleshoot the issue?

The winch works, is in a relatively good and rust free condition since I live in SoCal.
Vehicle: 2007 Power Wagon Quad Cab - Factory Options (Inferno Red, Premium Cloth Bench Seat, Light Group, Automatic Transmission, Leather Steering Wheel)
Suspension: Carli 3" Hemi Coils, Carli Control Arms, Carli King 2.5 Pin-Tops, Carli Stainless Steering Stabilizer, Carli Trackbar | Synergy 1" Rear Shackle
Performance: Magnaflow Muffler | Magnaflow Y-Pipe
Wheels/Tires: Yokohama X-A/T 35x12.5x17
Steering/Drivetrain/Axles: Carli Front Diff Guard | Dynatrac Ball Joints | Mopar HD Steering Gear
Miscellaneous: Line-X Bedliner | Locker Bypass Switch | Mopar Rock Rails | Odyssey Extreme 65-PC1750T | Performance Friction Brake Pads | Weathertech Digital Fit Mats | Winch Thermal Protection Bypass

Bill2014
1000_Posts
1000_Posts
Model Year: 2014

Re: 2007 Winch Parasitic Drain on Battery

Post by Bill2014 » Sat Jan 30, 2021 5:36 pm

After the truck has been sitting off for a few hours, see if the winch solenoid is slightly warmer than everything around it. The hand held infrared thermomitors are great for this but your hand may feel the difference if it is draining your battery that fast.
:rockon:
2014 Power Wagon Laramie
Titan V5 2.5" Receiver Pintle Hook
Warn wireless winch controller
.188" DOM White Knuckle Rock Sliders
Locker Bypass & Nanny Kill Switch

Moab 2006