KC Lights intermittent on while switch off

Discussions including Electrical / Lighting & Accessories / Onboard Air
SimonandSimonBeast
250_Posts
250_Posts
Model Year: 2013

KC Lights intermittent on while switch off

Post by SimonandSimonBeast » Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:06 am

Just experienced a new problem on the way into work this morning.

We've had a bit of freezing rain/sleet/snow overnight, so there is a bit of moisture. Anyway, driving in this morning I noticed reflection of my lights flashing on and off in the tailgate of the truck in front of me.

At first I was thinking my automatic headlights because it is overcast. I then determined it was my KC spots (halogen) in the middle of my lightbar, which narrows it to 1 circuit. The 2 spreads on the outside are on their own circuit w/ their own relay and switch, and appear not to be affected.

So, those 2 lights are on their own circuit with a switch in the cab. They are wired in the configuration to only be connected into the battery (stand alone). Not connected into high beam circuit.

I guess I know my answer, but I will pose it here. Do you guys just think it is short somewhere. i.e. common wire is making contact somewhere, or water is somehow bridging to complete a circuit?

I've used dielectric grease on all connectors and relays. I only installed these last year. Could a wire be worn through already?

For now I disconnected the connectors for those 2 lights so my battery doesn't die while I'm at work.

Any positive advice is welcomed.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

:rockon: :chug:

verdesardog
500_Posts
500_Posts
Model Year: 2006

Re: KC Lights intermittent on while switch off

Post by verdesardog » Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:56 am

could be a bad relay if you are using them for all circuits.
I had an intermittent light also. It was the relay, I opened up the relay and found a way small surface mount relay wired inside???wtf?? Was supposed to be a 30A relay .....
2006 Big Horn 2500 Ram CTD. IMAGINE ALL THE PEOPLE LIVING LIFE IN PEACE

SimonandSimonBeast
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by SimonandSimonBeast » Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:20 pm

verdesardog wrote:could be a bad relay if you are using them for all circuits.
I had an intermittent light also. It was the relay, I opened up the relay and found a way small surface mount relay wired inside???wtf?? Was supposed to be a 30A relay .....
I'll have to check that out. Yes, it has a relay block that came with the wiring harness. That should be easy enough to test. Thanks.

RustyPW
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2008

Post by RustyPW » Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:56 pm

Like Dog said. Check the relay. Also, where is your relay located at. If it's in an area that can get moisture and water. Move it.
PWOC #53
2008 POWER WAGON RC

My build thread. http://forum.powerwagonregistry.org/vie ... =13&t=2826 :cash: :cash:

Moab '09, '10, '12, '14.
Rausch Creek - Summer '10, Spring-Fall '11, Spring '12, Summer '13, Summer '14, Summer '15, Summer '16, Summer '17, Summer '18, Summer '20, Summer '22,
AOAA Summer '19.

Russ
NRA - Benefactor, Golden Eagle. :lockedandloaded:

Bill2014
1000_Posts
1000_Posts
Model Year: 2014

Post by Bill2014 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:47 am

Or if the relay is mounted where there is significant vibration - Move it. Do you get the behavior when you are sitting still? :popcorn:
2014 Power Wagon Laramie
Titan V5 2.5" Receiver Pintle Hook
Warn wireless winch controller
.188" DOM White Knuckle Rock Sliders
Locker Bypass & Nanny Kill Switch

Moab 2006

SimonandSimonBeast
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by SimonandSimonBeast » Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:24 am

Bill2014 wrote:Or if the relay is mounted where there is significant vibration - Move it. Do you get the behavior when you are sitting still? :popcorn:
Bill,

It is mounted on a pre-existing bolt on the engine compartment behind the battery. Yes, it was still doing it after I parked at work and turned the truck off. It is very solid where it is mounted. I would have to extend the lines (which would add potential failure points and resistance) to mount it anywhere else. I am using the wiring harness that comes with the pair of lights. I'm going to take the relay out this coming weekend while I have daylight. I will see if there are any signs of cracks or water penetration. If that is the case, maybe find a way to wrap it to keep water out.

SimonandSimonBeast
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by SimonandSimonBeast » Sun Dec 08, 2019 5:45 pm

I removed the relay today. There are no signs of cracks or corrosion. As it has been working fine for more than a year, I am suspicious about water penetration around the pins since we had that crappy freezing rain type weather when it began to act up. So, I decided for now to load up this area with dielectric grease to prevent infiltration. I put it back together and for now it seems to not be flickering on by itself. I will keep an eye on it. If it starts acting up again, I will put in a new relay.

SimonandSimonBeast
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by SimonandSimonBeast » Tue Dec 17, 2019 7:19 pm

Update 10 days later. We have had plenty of wet conditions and haven't seen this problem rear it's ugly head again.

RustyPW
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2008

Post by RustyPW » Tue Dec 17, 2019 11:25 pm

Hopefully you fixed it.

I had KC HiLiters on one cheby truck I had years ago. In the truck, I had a cb radio with a 500 watt linear. The antenna was mounted in the center of the roll bar, between the lights. Everytime I keyed the mike on the cb with the linear on. The lights would glow. :lol:
PWOC #53
2008 POWER WAGON RC

My build thread. http://forum.powerwagonregistry.org/vie ... =13&t=2826 :cash: :cash:

Moab '09, '10, '12, '14.
Rausch Creek - Summer '10, Spring-Fall '11, Spring '12, Summer '13, Summer '14, Summer '15, Summer '16, Summer '17, Summer '18, Summer '20, Summer '22,
AOAA Summer '19.

Russ
NRA - Benefactor, Golden Eagle. :lockedandloaded: