Not your typical TIPM/battery drain issue...

Discussions including Electrical / Lighting & Accessories / Onboard Air
Max Power
Model Year: 2007

Not your typical TIPM/battery drain issue...

Post by Max Power » Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:58 pm

Ok folks, I've been dealing with some rather significant parasitic loss for far too long now on my 07 Wagon. I've tried everything I can think of, including taking it to the (st)dealer. Any more ideas out there?

Symptoms:
- Fall of 2017 one incident of all external lights not turning off. The switches didn’t affect it and pulling the fuses didn’t shut it off but unplugging the brake controller did.

- After this, the left rear taillight stopped working as a marker light but it still works with brakes and left turn signal.

- After this, I noticed a parasitic drain on the battery. Deployed in Feb 18 to Nov 18 and truck was in storage.

- Parasitic loss has gotten worse and the truck will often not go more than two days unless it is run that day or the battery is disconnected.

- Since Nov18, the 4WD position light stopped working. I replaced the sensor but it didn’t fix the issue. No dash light illuminates regardless of the position of the 4WD lever. I thought it might have been the locker bypass but I unhooked it and still have issues.

- Most recently, the mirror defrost light blinks constantly but it still works as it should

What have I tried/checked?

- I used a meter in series with the negative terminal to confirm a significant draw at ignition off. I suspected the TIPM so I pulled all fuses in the TIPM with the meter connected and no change.

- I pulled the TIPM and checked the internal board and didn’t see any burned connections.

- I've checked lights, tried unplugging various connections under the hood, checked the alternator, the starter, the smart bar and the winch.

- I even took it to the dealership and they couldn't find it.

It's not throwing any codes or indicator lights. I still get no light when I shift the transfer case, even though 4LO lights up with the bypass switch.

:wtf:

Max Power

Re: Not your typical TIPM/battery drain issue...

Post by Max Power » Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:04 am

Forgot to mention, I replaced the battery too. It's a new red top.

Retired BLM Rig
1000_Posts
1000_Posts
Model Year: 2008

Post by Retired BLM Rig » Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:18 am

If you have aftermarket accessories that aren't properly tied into the truck it can cause the cabin compartment node (CCN) not to go to sleep with the key off. I had the same problem when I installed an aftermarket auto dimming rear view mirror, until I corrected my wiring error.

If that's not the case in your situation, my first suspicion would be a faulty CCN, also known as the instrument cluster. Unplug your cluster and see if your parasitic draw goes away.

Max Power

Post by Max Power » Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:18 pm

BLM, thanks for the tip! I just took my dash all apart again. I ran the self test for the instrument cluster and it seems to spit out the same junk as other folks on some of those "other" forums.
5 37
= 323
C 542
Near as I can tell, this is a software version as it looks like other trucks have the same outputs. Anyone familiar with these?

I did leave the cluster unplugged so we'll see if it's drained again by tomorrow night.

Max Power

Post by Max Power » Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:59 pm

well, pppsssshh. Took the dash apart and tried unplugging the cluster while watching the meter through the windshield and nothing. I even went back and tried all the fuses in the TIPM again. Any idea what items are wired outside of the TIPM? I'm tracking the alternator but not sure of others.
thanks

Max Power

Post by Max Power » Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:20 pm

ok, well I think it may be time to install a battery disconnect/kill switch on this thing until I can figure it out. Anyone have experience with them? I'm thinking a negative side switch mounted somewhere up under the dash.

Retired BLM Rig
1000_Posts
1000_Posts
Model Year: 2008

Post by Retired BLM Rig » Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:47 am

Max Power wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:59 pm
well, pppsssshh. Took the dash apart and tried unplugging the cluster while watching the meter through the windshield and nothing. I even went back and tried all the fuses in the TIPM again. Any idea what items are wired outside of the TIPM? I'm tracking the alternator but not sure of others.
thanks
What if you disconnect electrical connectors from the TIPM until the draw disappears and trace it out that way? It might be a relay or transistor stuck on inside the TIPM.