Kanati trail hog review

POk3s
Model Year: 2017

Kanati trail hog review

Post by POk3s » Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:16 am

Somewhere, I swear I had a post about this already but I can’t find it. I even went through all my posts on my profile and nothing. Anyway, about a year and a half ago I gambled on some 315/70/17 kanati trail hogs and caused a little bit of dismay among some users. In fairness, it probably would’ve caused some dismay to me too if I was on the outside looking in. 4 flats on the duratrash within a few months including one ruined tire. I then found some used Firestone’s (I forget the model but they were the mud tire) from a guy for $400 and ran them for a while. Figured out those mud terrains are just flat terrible on the snow and ice. Needed to find out first hand I guess.

Okay enough with the backstory. I figured I would take everyone’s advice and bump up to a 35” tire. But I went “cheap” and got the kanatis due to not finding one single bad review on them. They were somewhere around $900 shipped to my house. I put them on at somewhere around 49,000 miles and just took them off at 76,500 on the odometer. I never got my odometer recalibrated with the bigger tires so I figure it’s more like 29,000 miles instead of the 27,500 the simple math will show. I had two flats in the tires. Both of them nails so couldn’t do much about that. Lots of off road driving and lots of towing my little boat. Never really had a problem with them and would honestly buy them again. This go around I went with the Cooper discoverer at3 as they were $1100 shipped to my house and I hope to get a little more life out of them plus a little better reputation. Anyway, I wanted to round out a solid review on them so that’s what this is. Almost 30,000 miles (basically no tread left), no flats while off roading. Beyond this they are a bit loud comparing them to these coopers that are pretty much silent! They also didn’t like to stay in balance real well it appeared. Seemed I always had a slight shake at about 70mph after a weekend of hunting. Maybe that’s the stock wheel’s fault. I’ll find out soon enough.

ghaugo
50_Posts
50_Posts
Model Year: 2012

Re: Kanati trail hog review

Post by ghaugo » Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:27 pm

Thanks for the review POk3s! I have been looking into some of the off-brand tires lately, and the Trail Hogs were one that interested me. How were they in snow? They seem to look a lot like the Duratracs, but the 3 ply sidewall interested me. I am running Cooper STT Pros, and they are wearing pretty well at just under 20k miles. I have had them in lots of off road, towing, and day to day driving. They are great on everything except maybe ice, but I don't get that a bunch where I am at. Did you get the Cooper XLT AT3's or just the standard AT3s? I was looking at those too. Thanks for the update.
2012 Power Wagon
Frame-welded Aluminess Rock Sliders, Kenda Klever RT (35/12.50R17), ARE Z-Series Topper, DeeZee Tailgate Assist, Husky X-act Contour Mats, Purple Cranium Diff Covers Front and Rear, Dodge Offroad Steering Brace, Thuren Track Bar, Thuren Short Arms, Thuren Fox 2.0 Remote Reservoir Shocks, Airlifter Ultimate 5000 airbags, Daystar Cradles, High Country Customs Bumper, Dynatrac ball joints, WWSP HD Towing Valve Body, PML Transmission pan, Thuren XD Swaybar Links, Thuren XS front coils, Abel Components Full Swaybar Bypass, All AMSOIL fluids from Code4Synthetics.com

POk3s
Model Year: 2017

Re: Kanati trail hog review

Post by POk3s » Wed Nov 25, 2020 6:04 pm

ghaugo wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:27 pm
Thanks for the review POk3s! I have been looking into some of the off-brand tires lately, and the Trail Hogs were one that interested me. How were they in snow? They seem to look a lot like the Duratracs, but the 3 ply sidewall interested me. I am running Cooper STT Pros, and they are wearing pretty well at just under 20k miles. I have had them in lots of off road, towing, and day to day driving. They are great on everything except maybe ice, but I don't get that a bunch where I am at. Did you get the Cooper XLT AT3's or just the standard AT3s? I was looking at those too. Thanks for the update.
Sorry for the late reply! They were as good as I could expect in the snow and ice. I drove more on ice than on snow, but with how closely the tread patterns are with these all terrains, I think you’re splitting hairs. I never had a problem in the snow I drove in. They felt really great coming from the mud terrain tire which were terrible...as advertised.

I went with the XLT. We’ll see if I like them better than the kanatis. So far they’re worth the little bit of price increase just for the fact they’re SILENT on the road.