(New) Toyo A/T III

Alakablamo
50_Posts
50_Posts

(New) Toyo A/T III

Post by Alakablamo » Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:58 am

URL: https://www.toyotires.com/product/open-country-at3

3PMSF (I think all A/T tires should conform to that standard), and the tread layout more closely resembles the Duratrac approach that so many others have adopted (packed inner treads with pronounced outer lugs).

Under "More Evenly Distributed Void Area", one of the listed benefits is "Provides better worn appearance". I find it interesting how much visual appeal plays into modern tire design, particularly with Toyo and Nitto, and even in regards to the progression of tread wear.

TankerZak
500_Posts
500_Posts
Model Year: 2016

Re: (New) Toyo A/T III

Post by TankerZak » Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:48 am

Alakablamo wrote:URL: https://www.toyotires.com/product/open-country-at3

3PMSF (I think all A/T tires should conform to that standard), and the tread layout more closely resembles the Duratrac approach that so many others have adopted (packed inner treads with pronounced outer lugs).

Under "More Evenly Distributed Void Area", one of the listed benefits is "Provides better worn appearance". I find it interesting how much visual appeal plays into modern tire design, particularly with Toyo and Nitto, and even in regards to the progression of tread wear.
Interesting. Outter lugs should be bigger, imho. More like the Kanati Trail Hog.

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk

2016 Granite Crystal Metallic Power Wagon Laramie, graphics delete, debadged, Thuren front and rear coils, Thuren rear swaybar links, Thuren front and rear trackbars, Traxada rear 1 inch spacers, King 3.0 (Stage 4) front and 2.5 (Stage 3) rear shocks, Boogie front bump stops, Cooper STT Pro 37x13.50R17 on XD Machette 17x9 +18 wheels, Centramatics, 5.13 gears, DOR steering brace, Thuren truss, Thuren King Steering Damper, Synergy Steering Kit, Thuren PW front bumper, Thuren rear bumper, White Knuckle rock sliders, Dethloff skid plate, Dethloff rear sway bar spacers, Purple Cranium Half Spider front and rear diff guards, Airlift 5000 Ultimate airbags with Daystar cradles, Bakflip Revolver X2 tonneau, Factor55 Ultrahook with 100ft 7/16 A.R.E. Spidersilk synthetic winch line, Zroadz Grill with slim 20 inch light bar, DDM Tuning LEDs/HIDs, Rigid Side Shooter ditch lights, KC rock lights, Rigid fog lights, Baja Designs rear lights, Magnaflow 19200 modified with upgraded resonator and after axle dump, tinted front windows 35%.

Bill2014
1000_Posts
1000_Posts
Model Year: 2014

Post by Bill2014 » Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:02 am

I think that's a nice open tread for an AT...

Looks like at this point (March 2020) they only offer two 17" tires that might suit our trucks: our stock size and 35x12.50
AT III.jpg
2014 Power Wagon Laramie
Titan V5 2.5" Receiver Pintle Hook
Warn wireless winch controller
.188" DOM White Knuckle Rock Sliders
Locker Bypass & Nanny Kill Switch

Moab 2006

olyelr
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by olyelr » Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:45 am

Yea, the only issue right now is available sizing is extremely limited. But that will change.

Should be a great tire!
2016 Ram Power Wagon Laramie - Granite Crystal Metallic - Ramboxes - 35” AT3W - TazerRAM

:patriot:

TankerZak
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by TankerZak » Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:36 pm

Bill2014 wrote:I think that's a nice open tread for an AT...

Looks like at this point (March 2020) they only offer two 17" tires that might suit our trucks: our stock size and 35x12.50
AT III.jpg
Check out that Kanati Trail Hog. Very wide outter lugs.

2016 Granite Crystal Metallic Power Wagon Laramie, graphics delete, debadged, Thuren front and rear coils, Thuren rear swaybar links, Thuren front and rear trackbars, Traxada rear 1 inch spacers, King 3.0 (Stage 4) front and 2.5 (Stage 3) rear shocks, Boogie front bump stops, Cooper STT Pro 37x13.50R17 on XD Machette 17x9 +18 wheels, Centramatics, 5.13 gears, DOR steering brace, Thuren truss, Thuren King Steering Damper, Synergy Steering Kit, Thuren PW front bumper, Thuren rear bumper, White Knuckle rock sliders, Dethloff skid plate, Dethloff rear sway bar spacers, Purple Cranium Half Spider front and rear diff guards, Airlift 5000 Ultimate airbags with Daystar cradles, Bakflip Revolver X2 tonneau, Factor55 Ultrahook with 100ft 7/16 A.R.E. Spidersilk synthetic winch line, Zroadz Grill with slim 20 inch light bar, DDM Tuning LEDs/HIDs, Rigid Side Shooter ditch lights, KC rock lights, Rigid fog lights, Baja Designs rear lights, Magnaflow 19200 modified with upgraded resonator and after axle dump, tinted front windows 35%.

Bill2014
1000_Posts
1000_Posts
Model Year: 2014

Post by Bill2014 » Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:47 pm

That Kanati Trail Hog tread pattern is remarkably similar to the Duratrac pattern. :D
2014 Power Wagon Laramie
Titan V5 2.5" Receiver Pintle Hook
Warn wireless winch controller
.188" DOM White Knuckle Rock Sliders
Locker Bypass & Nanny Kill Switch

Moab 2006

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor
Model Year: 2011

Post by DamageWagon » Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:05 pm

I love Toyo but I need to see these be a big improvement over the AT II before I would consider them over my STT Max’s. The AT II is about the most disappointing tire Toyo makes.

TankerZak
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by TankerZak » Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:27 pm

Bill2014 wrote:That Kanati Trail Hog tread pattern is remarkably similar to the Duratrac pattern. :D
Except with much stronger sidewall and much bigger outter lugs!! Yes!! The failings of the Duratrac..

PWJouster
250_Posts
250_Posts
Model Year: 2018

Post by PWJouster » Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:18 am

DamageWagon wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:05 pm
I love Toyo but I need to see these be a big improvement over the AT II before I would consider them over my STT Max’s. The AT II is about the most disappointing tire Toyo makes.
have you ventured to the toyo RT yet?
they fulfilled everything i was worried about with the ATs, yet kept me far enough from the chatter of the MT...

i still want to step up to MTs next once i get a second daily, but for now, the RT fills the capable/comfortable daily void.
2018 Powerwagon-6.4 Hemi
Nanny kill switch and Locker Bypasses
Thuren Tuned King 3.0 & 2.5 Pintop Stage 3/2
17 Method NV-Toyo RT 37
Evo On-Demand Air Swaybar Disconnect
S&B Intake-Mufflex-Magnaflow/resonator delete
SPOD Bantam
On-Board air ARB CKMTA12
Baja design and Rigid Industries
Purple Cranium Spider dif guards
Pedal Commander

Alakablamo
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by Alakablamo » Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:07 am

I have the Toyo AT2 (285/75R17) and I am happy with them, so far. I am coming up on 6k miles, and getting ready to rotate for the first time.

I have found that these particular tires perform very differently depending on air pressure. At 40 PSI front, 30 PSI rear (unloaded) I find that they do just fine in the wet and snow. At higher pressures, the rigid carcass of the tire prevents it from conforming, and adhesion suffers more noticeably than other tires.

TankerZak
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by TankerZak » Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:34 am

PWJouster wrote:
DamageWagon wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:05 pm
have you ventured to the toyo RT yet?
they fulfilled everything i was worried about with the ATs, yet kept me far enough from the chatter of the MT...

i still want to step up to MTs next once i get a second daily, but for now, the RT fills the capable/comfortable daily void.
My RTs were phenomenal (35s and 37s). EXCEPT... to get them to be good in ice they needed to be siped and chunked near the end of their life because of it. And they sucked in mud (the clay type, voids didn't evacuate) and they sucked in deep snow... not enough big voids on the edges. I've begun to think a true hybrid type tire is tight siped center lugs for snow retention (for snow traction, snow sticks to snow) and surface contact on ice and great big outter lugs for clearing mud and deep snow. Similarish to a Cooper STT Pro. (Which could use more siping in the center also)

OffroadTreks
Model Year: 2015

Post by OffroadTreks » Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:54 am

I never liked my Toyo AT II's. They were good on the highway and that's it. They were noisy. Were okay on dirt forest roads. Mud, nope. Moab rock, ok if you had traction. Wore okish. Rain, mhem.
2015 Power Wagon Laramie - "ROCKLANDER"
-------
[Build Thread] [Instagram] [Youtube]
------
Full-Size Off-Road Events & Overland Adventures

PWJouster
250_Posts
250_Posts
Model Year: 2018

Post by PWJouster » Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:16 am

i concur with the fact the my toyo RT in 35s and 37s have been phenomenal with zero issues truly.

I live in south florida where our mud is swampy and sandy, and our roads are ice free....hence why a summer climate may be the best bet. I have never had any issues with Mud with the Powerwagon, and ive never had a moment of doubt with the traction.

Yet ive lived North and what i do know is any vehicle really needs a winter set, and true winter tires...they just work so well, why not? I can see the ATIII being a solid daily driving tire, but no way it stands up to the powerwagon task with longevity, like the RT has shown and the MT has proven.
If you buy a Powerwagon, and join this forum, most of us would just assume the ATIII is probably not the best all around option today....am i wrong?
2018 Powerwagon-6.4 Hemi
Nanny kill switch and Locker Bypasses
Thuren Tuned King 3.0 & 2.5 Pintop Stage 3/2
17 Method NV-Toyo RT 37
Evo On-Demand Air Swaybar Disconnect
S&B Intake-Mufflex-Magnaflow/resonator delete
SPOD Bantam
On-Board air ARB CKMTA12
Baja design and Rigid Industries
Purple Cranium Spider dif guards
Pedal Commander

lmangold408
Model Year: 2019

Post by lmangold408 » Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:35 am

Traded my 2018 Ram 2500 Cummins yesterday for a 2020 Power Wagon! I ran the Toyo R/T on my diesel and they did a wonderful job on the highway, beach (NC) and snow in Michigan. They were about 50% worn at 24,000 miles when I traded the truck. I'm installing the R/T next week with under 500 miles on the PW.

ghaugo
50_Posts
50_Posts
Model Year: 2012

Post by ghaugo » Sat Nov 14, 2020 7:45 am

Has anyone run these yet? I am starting to look for some new tires and I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with the ATIII?
2012 Power Wagon
Frame-welded Aluminess Rock Sliders, Kenda Klever RT (35/12.50R17), ARE Z-Series Topper, DeeZee Tailgate Assist, Husky X-act Contour Mats, Purple Cranium Diff Covers Front and Rear, Dodge Offroad Steering Brace, Thuren Track Bar, Thuren Short Arms, Thuren Fox 2.0 Remote Reservoir Shocks, Airlifter Ultimate 5000 airbags, Daystar Cradles, High Country Customs Bumper, Dynatrac ball joints, WWSP HD Towing Valve Body, PML Transmission pan, Thuren XD Swaybar Links, Thuren XS front coils, Abel Components Full Swaybar Bypass, All AMSOIL fluids from Code4Synthetics.com