Geolandar X-AT?

Chubbs
50_Posts
50_Posts
Model Year: 2018

Geolandar X-AT?

Post by Chubbs » Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:11 am

I just turned 24K on my 2018 and the Duratracs are shot. I will likely go with 35s for the replacement. I am strongly considering the Yokohama Geolandar X-AT, but there are no real reviews yet. I have never owned Yokohamas before

The other options are the ever popular Open Country (probably RT), the Ridge Grapplers, and the KO2s. I was pretty happy with KO and KO2s on a previous 1/2 ton, but I know they get mixed reviews on heavier trucks.

I'm off-road a lot. Mainly rock and sand as I live in the Mojave. During the winter I am in a lot of snow in the Eastern Sierras. Mt Snowflake is desired but not required. Actual snow performance, however, is a requirement. I am assuming chains can still be run on the rear with 35s. If anyone can confirm, I would appreciate it.

I have been towing more and more lately, but it is in the 6K lb range, so not very heavy. That weight may go up if we get a travel trailer.

Thanks in advance for the help.
2018 Power Wagon
Bright Silver, Dual Alternators, Leather and Luxury, Ram Boxes

SeppW
50_Posts
50_Posts
Model Year: 2016

Re: Geolandar X-AT?

Post by SeppW » Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:42 pm

I was thinking of going with Toyo OC CTs, not only M&S rated, but 3-peak rated for severe snow service (reviews vary on this rating). I spend most of time on hardball and pavement; no aggressive off road. Reviews are mixed on CT, but what the hell. Tire preference is very subjective. Truck will likely ride like a log wagon, not that It doesn't now. Thuren recommends Toyo or Nitto for these pigs and I would have to assume he's got some experience in what tire pairs best with the truck. I'm still on the Duratracs and they have plenty of tread life as I don't drive it much.

Havn2muchfun

Post by Havn2muchfun » Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:44 pm

Got about 6k on my X-MT’s and really like them.
So many upgrades, so little money
2018 Power Wagon. 315/70/18 Toyo Open Country M/T on Method HD NV’s. Warn Ascent rear bumper. Pulsar piggyback. Maple Off Road sliders, front diff skid and 3bar skid replacement. Detloff Trans skid. PML trans pan.

Chubbs
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by Chubbs » Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:17 pm

Alright, I'm torn between the Toyo AT2 and the Geolandar X-ATs. No one has any feedback on the X-ATs yet. I need to make my final decision soon. I can get them done in town for virtually the same price.

We have already had a 2 decent snows this year. I'm counting on a lot this winter in the mountains. The OC RTs do not have a great wet pavement reputation. That took those out of the running.

I'm leaning toward the X-ATs. Thoughts?
2018 Power Wagon

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor
Model Year: 2011

Post by DamageWagon » Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:20 pm

The AT2’s don’t have a great reputation. I think you can do a lot better. I’ve heard solid feedback on the Hankook Dynapro MT in snow and ice. You can also sipe your tires but snow use tires by design are best

Chubbs
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by Chubbs » Sat Dec 07, 2019 1:26 pm

I pulled the trigger on the X-ATs. I guess I am the guinea pig for these tires, because there just isn't any feedback yet. 35x12.5x17s. The spare fit with very little wiggling (although I only have 20psi in it). Tire shop said I would never get it in there after they made one cursory try.

I'll have them off-road this weekend. Things are uncharacteristically wet here in the Mojave, so I will get to see how they deal with wet sand, wet rocks, and liquid adobe. We will likely be up at Mammoth next weekend, so I can give my impressions of how they deal with snow. I think I have chains that fit. I need to make sure.
2018 Power Wagon

TommyDuncan
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by TommyDuncan » Sat Dec 07, 2019 4:07 pm

Keep us posted. Some friends LOVE Hokemamas but they have lighter vehicles.
As far as KO2s, I bought one brand new 37"(load range D) to go with 3 used ones and at 10,000 miles it's showing some significant wear with only light towing. Not sure if it would have had a long life if I stuck with them.

Chubbs
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by Chubbs » Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:16 pm

They have a 45K mile warranty, so we will see if that means anything. The last time I tried to warranty a tire (Goodyear), the pro-rate on it was less than my drive out of town to get it resolved was worth.

I did play a little bit in the Sierras today. All light duty trails and one water crossing. They seem to be comfortable tires. Same level of noise as the Duratracs, but maybe a slightly lower frequency.
2018 Power Wagon

ghaugo
50_Posts
50_Posts
Model Year: 2012

Post by ghaugo » Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:18 pm

Those look like pretty nice tires. I would like to hear what you find out. Keep us posted with your feedback!
2012 Power Wagon
Frame-welded Aluminess Rock Sliders, Kenda Klever RT (35/12.50R17), ARE Z-Series Topper, DeeZee Tailgate Assist, Husky X-act Contour Mats, Purple Cranium Diff Covers Front and Rear, Dodge Offroad Steering Brace, Thuren Track Bar, Thuren Short Arms, Thuren Fox 2.0 Remote Reservoir Shocks, Airlifter Ultimate 5000 airbags, Daystar Cradles, High Country Customs Bumper, Dynatrac ball joints, WWSP HD Towing Valve Body, PML Transmission pan, Thuren XD Swaybar Links, Thuren XS front coils, Abel Components Full Swaybar Bypass, All AMSOIL fluids from Code4Synthetics.com

Chubbs
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by Chubbs » Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:07 am

Forget what I said about noise level. At highway speeds these are definitely quieter than the Duratracs. I wonder how they will sound after 10K.

I cut a load of firewood yesterday. I went through an area of soft sand that historically requires 4wd. I went through in 2wd just fine. Everything is wetter this year, so I don't think it's an exact comparison of traction.

Pic is from the edge of the Sierras on Saturday. They are good looking tires.
Attachments
IMG_6789.jpg
2018 Power Wagon

Ahhsehvez
Model Year: 2019

Post by Ahhsehvez » Sat Jun 13, 2020 5:43 pm

Hi, what are your thoughts on the tires after 6ish months?

Any rubbing at all with the stock wheels?

Lumpum

Post by Lumpum » Mon Jun 15, 2020 7:46 am

Different dude, but, I’ve had my Yokohama 35s for 6 months. I like em. No weird wear that I see. Did fine off road ( New England). Quiet on road at highway speeds too. I’d get them again.

ghaugo
50_Posts
50_Posts
Model Year: 2012

Post by ghaugo » Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:23 pm

Starting to look at replacements for my STT Pros. I am debating on going to a more hybrid tire. Any of you guys running the X-AT had a chance to test it in some snow? I would like a little better performance in the white stuff and ice. I have loved the STT Pros so far especially off road, but I tow a camper quite a bit, and I would like a little better handling and manners on road. Not sure if I will switch or not.
2012 Power Wagon
Frame-welded Aluminess Rock Sliders, Kenda Klever RT (35/12.50R17), ARE Z-Series Topper, DeeZee Tailgate Assist, Husky X-act Contour Mats, Purple Cranium Diff Covers Front and Rear, Dodge Offroad Steering Brace, Thuren Track Bar, Thuren Short Arms, Thuren Fox 2.0 Remote Reservoir Shocks, Airlifter Ultimate 5000 airbags, Daystar Cradles, High Country Customs Bumper, Dynatrac ball joints, WWSP HD Towing Valve Body, PML Transmission pan, Thuren XD Swaybar Links, Thuren XS front coils, Abel Components Full Swaybar Bypass, All AMSOIL fluids from Code4Synthetics.com

Chubbs
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by Chubbs » Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:27 am

We normally spend a lot of time in the snow during late winter / early spring. Unfortunately, the 'rona showed up.

I did drive in 6-8" on snow over wet, sloppy dirt roads a couple of times and they did well. I just haven't done it on the roads yet.
2018 Power Wagon

Chubbs
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by Chubbs » Sat Nov 14, 2020 12:28 pm

I wanted to update the thread. I recently had to replace one of my Geolander X-ATs.

There is an area I go for firewood. There is some very loose sand in the area and I was feeling smug about how well the tires do in these conditions. At some point I remember driving over something and wondering what the heck it was (I didn't see anything buried in the sand, but I felt it). What ever it was punctured the inner sidewall of the driver's side rear tire where the sidewall meets the traction lugs. Thankfully, I was just scouting the area and didn't have a load of wood in the back.

The puncture was about 2" long with a 45deg bend in the middle. Judging by the clean edges of the puncture, it had to be metal. My guess is a buried fence post. I had already driven a bit before I noticed and I didn't go back to the area to look (it was dark by the time I got the tire changed), but I may soon.

The factory jack REALLY sucks.

I'm curious if other tires would have survived, but I think I just need to chock it up to bad luck on this one.
2018 Power Wagon