King 2.5 Shock Body / Frame Contact

1pieceatatime
50_Posts
50_Posts
Model Year: 2018

King 2.5 Shock Body / Frame Contact

Post by 1pieceatatime » Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:52 pm

Yesterday installed a 1" lift on the rear to get some rake back in the truck, and was the first time I've spent much time wrenching on rear suspension since installing Thuren King 2.5 a little over a year and 25k miles ago.

Did the driver's side first, saw the boot was all torn up where the shock rod passes through rear frame - but the rod was in great shape, only debris near the shock seal was the rubber from boot, so thought "that sucks but no big deal".

Over to passenger side, boot torn up again and I thought "yep, to be expected after seeing driver's side" - but then upon closer inspection saw clear evidence that the shock body and the frame have been doing the nasty.

Looks to me like this can only happen at full stuff. Plenty of evidence of stock bump stops impacting axle pads, but nothing too crazy. I don't beat on the truck high-speed off-road, although do plenty of full flex rock ledges and trench crossings.

Has anyone else observed something like this? It makes me wonder if my rear axle is perhaps forward a bit on passenger side or slightly off-center to passenger side - but truck tracks straight and tire wear is good.
RRA.jpg
RRB.jpg

PWJouster
250_Posts
250_Posts
Model Year: 2018

Re: King 2.5 Shock Body / Frame Contact

Post by PWJouster » Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:55 pm

obviously many of us can look. GOOD FIND

My driver side has surface rub...clearly made contact as well, missing some blue but overall did not flatten my cap like your frame rail did.

should be easy to clear the opening somewhat, but that there looks like something may be out of alignment.
2018 Powerwagon-6.4 Hemi
Nanny kill switch and Locker Bypasses
Thuren Tuned King 3.0 & 2.5 Pintop Stage 3/2
17 Method NV-Toyo RT 37
Evo On-Demand Air Swaybar Disconnect
S&B Intake-Mufflex-Magnaflow/resonator delete
SPOD Bantam
On-Board air ARB CKMTA12
Baja design and Rigid Industries
Purple Cranium Spider dif guards
Pedal Commander

ScubaSteve
50_Posts
50_Posts
Model Year: 2016

Re: King 2.5 Shock Body / Frame Contact

Post by ScubaSteve » Tue Sep 01, 2020 4:16 pm

I have noticed on my 2.5's, which I painted black, that on the left side there is a slight rub mark on the left side of the shock body about an inch. I'll see if I can't get a photo in a minute, but I have noticed that just from the few times I've articulated the truck (have yet to really wheel it) there is obviously some contact with the frame. A bit disconcerting, but I almost expected it when I was installing and looking at how tight the fitment is.
Attachments
20200901_151722_HDR_resized.jpg