Swaybar moved to passenger side?

ghaugo
50_Posts
50_Posts
Model Year: 2012

Swaybar moved to passenger side?

Post by ghaugo » Mon May 11, 2020 5:03 pm

I wanted to see if anyone had any ideas on why my swaybar moved passenger side so far? I have a 2012, and I have a DOR steering brace which is mounted under the swaybar bushing clamp. I noticed the swaybar off centered to the passenger side, and it was contacting the steering brace just a bit. I though it was a bushing problem, so I replaced the bushings with OEM ones this weekend, and I centered the bar. After driving a short distance, the bar pulled over to the passenger side again. The picture is from the side on driver side. This is the new bushing being pushed by the bend in the bar.
The attachment IMG_3168.jpeg is no longer available

Here is one from the bottom.
IMG_3166.jpeg

I was looking at adding a spacer plate that DOR offers to make the swaybar sit the same on both bushings. Currently the steering brace adds about a 1/4" on the driver side. Could this be causing the movement? Any help would be appreciated.
2012 Power Wagon
Frame-welded Aluminess Rock Sliders, Kenda Klever RT (35/12.50R17), ARE Z-Series Topper, DeeZee Tailgate Assist, Husky X-act Contour Mats, Purple Cranium Diff Covers Front and Rear, Dodge Offroad Steering Brace, Thuren Track Bar, Thuren Short Arms, Thuren Fox 2.0 Remote Reservoir Shocks, Airlifter Ultimate 5000 airbags, Daystar Cradles, High Country Customs Bumper, Dynatrac ball joints, WWSP HD Towing Valve Body, PML Transmission pan, Thuren XD Swaybar Links, Thuren XS front coils, Abel Components Full Swaybar Bypass, All AMSOIL fluids from Code4Synthetics.com

ghaugo
50_Posts
50_Posts

Re: Swaybar moved to passenger side?

Post by ghaugo » Mon May 11, 2020 5:06 pm

IMG_3168.jpeg
Here is the picture that disappeared of the bushing on driver side.
2012 Power Wagon
Frame-welded Aluminess Rock Sliders, Kenda Klever RT (35/12.50R17), ARE Z-Series Topper, DeeZee Tailgate Assist, Husky X-act Contour Mats, Purple Cranium Diff Covers Front and Rear, Dodge Offroad Steering Brace, Thuren Track Bar, Thuren Short Arms, Thuren Fox 2.0 Remote Reservoir Shocks, Airlifter Ultimate 5000 airbags, Daystar Cradles, High Country Customs Bumper, Dynatrac ball joints, WWSP HD Towing Valve Body, PML Transmission pan, Thuren XD Swaybar Links, Thuren XS front coils, Abel Components Full Swaybar Bypass, All AMSOIL fluids from Code4Synthetics.com

ghaugo
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by ghaugo » Mon May 11, 2020 5:07 pm

Here is the picture from the passenger side from below. You can see the bar sticks out a great deal more than the driver side.
IMG_3169.jpeg
2012 Power Wagon

Bharken2

Post by Bharken2 » Mon May 11, 2020 6:34 pm

I have the same problem with my 2005 with the DOR steering box brace. Maybe we do need the spacer for the other side. I'll be watching for answers.

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk

SimonandSimonBeast
250_Posts
250_Posts
Model Year: 2013

Post by SimonandSimonBeast » Mon May 11, 2020 8:44 pm

I put a DOR brace on my '13 wagon. Mine did the same thing. I put the extra plate in. I felt that difference exaggerated the issue a bit, plus it was a major OCD violation for me. For some reason the bar sits a little passenger side. Mine self-clearanced a bit on the wrap around part of the bracket too, but I feel it is acceptable now. Perhaps it is just a smartbar thing. I don't worry about it anymore and it seems to not cause any problems. The plate shipped pretty quickly compared to the brace, perhaps an off-the-shelf item. This is one of the first projects I did. So, maybe 1.5 yrs ago. See the little bit of rust where the interference was.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

:rockon: :chug:

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor
Model Year: 2011

Post by DamageWagon » Wed May 13, 2020 11:27 am

It’s probably due to your axle not being centered, and the swaybar links pushing the bar over as you drive. If that’s the case it’s a side affect of a trackbar system where with your lift the axle doesn’t stay dead-center to the frame. My truck did the Ana Erving but it was never an issue.

SimonandSimonBeast
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by SimonandSimonBeast » Wed May 13, 2020 4:40 pm

DamageWagon wrote:It’s probably due to your axle not being centered, and the swaybar links pushing the bar over as you drive. If that’s the case it’s a side affect of a trackbar system where with your lift the axle doesn’t stay dead-center to the frame. My truck did the Ana Erving but it was never an issue.
I put mine in pre-lift (first mod), so it wouldn't have been the lift that affected it. However, post lift my axle was off-center to the driver side (as mentioned in my build post) which if anything should have pulled the swaybar to the left away from the bracket. Even when I had everything disconnected (links removed) the bar on my truck just likes sitting a little bit right. I could pull and yank on it and it only moved a little bit. Perhaps the non-smartbar has slightly different dimensions and clears the bracket as designed. I don't know, just thought that was a possibility. There is some extra unnecessary material on that part of the bracket. I suppose if someone found it to be a real problem they could grind a little off.

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor
Model Year: 2011

Post by DamageWagon » Wed May 13, 2020 4:42 pm

Yeah it could be a few things. It really didn’t bother me or cause issues for 210,000 miles. My SmartBar seals were gone, the thing was so worn it flopped like a fish, but it worked fine. I hate the smartbar. One of the best parts of the Cummins is that it doesn’t have that stupid thing....

ghaugo
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by ghaugo » Wed May 13, 2020 9:57 pm

Thanks guys. I ordered the spacer plate and I will see what happens. I don't have any extra lift on mine, but I added a Thuren track bar. I set it the same as the factory one. I did add 315's so do you think the added height would cause that change?
2012 Power Wagon

SimonandSimonBeast
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by SimonandSimonBeast » Thu May 14, 2020 10:10 am

ghaugo wrote:Thanks guys. I ordered the spacer plate and I will see what happens. I don't have any extra lift on mine, but I added a Thuren track bar. I set it the same as the factory one. I did add 315's so do you think the added height would cause that change?
Tires size will not effect this.