37s with overland extreme questions

cb1987
50_Posts
50_Posts
Model Year: 2014

37s with overland extreme questions

Post by cb1987 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:48 am

hey fellers i did some research but still unsure of some things. have a 2017 thats basically stock except for 35s and blm bypass. im kicking around the idea of going to a overland extreme kit. 1.5" front springs and his soft ride rears with atleast a 1" spacer to keep the rake. thinking fox 2.0 for shocks. wheels im thinking 17x9 +18. tires will be 37s but not sure which brand yet. maybe stt or similar. likely 12.5 but possibly 13.5

although i really want 37s with thurens kit, this truck drives so good im nervous to make any changes. one of the main concearns is if ill end up with high speed tire vibration that i cant get rid of. since ive never had 37s, are they more prone to vibration and can they be spin balanced and road forced with conventional methods like a 35" tire ? also ive still got atleast two more years of payments so i really dont want to hack on the fenders. granted each tire companies tires measure different but typically do the 13.5 tires rub much ?

since theres no radius arm drop brackets, is it just a matter of adding more caster via the cam bolt after the springs are installed ?

after the wheels, tires, thuren parts, my wallet will be tapped out for quit a while so i wouldnt be able to do any regear for quit some time. for the guys running 37s on stock gears, do you just use tow haul mode/ manually lock out 6th ?

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor
Model Year: 2011

Re: 37s with overland extreme questions

Post by DamageWagon » Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:02 am

I dream that some day there will be more customers like you.

Yes you pretty much nailed everything! That suspension and wheel combo is going to be solid.

You’ll need to trim the plastic fender liner and maybe a pinch of the bumper corner and flare to clear 37’s fully. Not a big deal on any of that.

Yep you’ll just use the caster bolts for alignment, there’s a lot of adjustment in them.

Yes you can RoadForce balance 37’s. Tire vibration is an artifact of imbalance or poorly made tires, not the size of the tire. 37’s aren’t anything special compared to smaller sizes. With more sidewall you can expect a little more tire squirm and a little less sharp steering response, and a smoother ride and greater traction.

Lots of guys run 4.10’s and 37’s. No need to regear unless you really like that strong throttle response.

PWJouster
250_Posts
250_Posts
Model Year: 2018

Post by PWJouster » Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:11 am

my 37 toyo RTs at 17 inches run smoother then the 35s did and even smoother then stock duratracs by a long shot.
(if you beat on your tires, offroad often, ride in gravel often, Centramatics will do wonders for you)

youll have pedal commander, intake/exhaust to deal with any loss of "performance" down the line, but a re gear is not necessary for a daily driver.
37s work out better with stock trans tuning then my 35s did, specifically on the highway.

wish i went straight to the 37s.

And any thuren tuned shock/kit will leave you better off from whence you came
2018 Powerwagon-6.4 Hemi
Nanny kill switch and Locker Bypasses
Thuren Tuned King 3.0 & 2.5 Pintop Stage 3/2
17 Method NV-Toyo RT 37
Evo On-Demand Air Swaybar Disconnect
S&B Intake-Mufflex-Magnaflow/resonator delete
SPOD Bantam
On-Board air ARB CKMTA12
Baja design and Rigid Industries
Purple Cranium Spider dif guards
Pedal Commander

OffroadTreks
Model Year: 2015

Post by OffroadTreks » Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:55 pm

Cum Commander is a waste of money
2015 Power Wagon Laramie - "ROCKLANDER"
-------
[Build Thread] [Instagram] [Youtube]
------
Full-Size Off-Road Events & Overland Adventures

Oilbrnr
50_Posts
50_Posts
Model Year: 2016

Post by Oilbrnr » Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:54 pm

Wait, so you're saying don't blow your wad on it? 🤣
'16 with '17 FWC

PWJouster
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by PWJouster » Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:40 am

they may be a tad expensive for what they are and where else the money could go, but they are reliable and quality.

they work as it relates to picking up the slack of our electronic throttle systems and the piss-poor performance engineering by the MGP-EPA freaks.

ive had them in sports cars, suvs, jeeps, and everything in between. Boosted or not.
Like changing the Cam in a Throttle on a motorcycle. Without the adjustment your ride-ability is shit...with a correct Cam, you get snappier,more responsive, and on a dime response.
2018 Powerwagon-6.4 Hemi
Nanny kill switch and Locker Bypasses
Thuren Tuned King 3.0 & 2.5 Pintop Stage 3/2
17 Method NV-Toyo RT 37
Evo On-Demand Air Swaybar Disconnect
S&B Intake-Mufflex-Magnaflow/resonator delete
SPOD Bantam
On-Board air ARB CKMTA12
Baja design and Rigid Industries
Purple Cranium Spider dif guards
Pedal Commander

OffroadTreks

Post by OffroadTreks » Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:33 am

Whatever BS you need to tell yourself for adjusting the throttle position sensors parameters. :cheers:
-------
------

TommyDuncan
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by TommyDuncan » Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:31 am

cb1987 wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:48 am
one of the main concearns is if ill end up with high speed tire vibration that i cant get rid of. since ive never had 37s, are they more prone to vibration and can they be spin balanced and road forced with conventional methods like a 35" tire ? also ive still got atleast two more years of payments so i really dont want to hack on the fenders. granted each tire companies tires measure different but typically do the 13.5 tires rub much ?
I just bought Toyo MTs 37"x13.50x17", had them mounted twice in one week, and they balanced great both times. Other than parking lot speed knobby grumble(which I kinda like) there are NO vibes.

EasyDoesIt
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by EasyDoesIt » Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:37 am

I don't think you can go wrong with the Extreme Kit or anything Thuren. But if your truck is newer, you aren't trying to correct an issue caused by worn suspension, and you don't have a heavy load mounted above your bed, then I would spend my money a little differently.

With a Roughly $2,500 budget you could almost get....
-$350 Thuren Front Springs (Many run factory PW rear springs because they are a little stiffer and help with heavier loads).
-$300 Front Thuren Boogies
-$2,000 Thuren King 2.5s

As track bars wear or you find yourself adding more weight or bottoming out, add the rear boogies and front/rear track bars. This is obviously my personal opinion and you know what they say about opinions.

Either way you should consider going through @DamageWagon - Dethloff Mfg and you might save a few bucks.

Regarding 37s and stock gears, I've been running that way for almost 2 years/30k miles and its no problem. Pick up a tuner to adjust your speedo and you should be good. You will lose some of that off the line quickness because the tall 1st gear but its not a big deal. If you tow over 7k lbs, you will definitely notice it but it is manageable as long as you're realistic with your expectations.

Steve
Live: Las Vegas NV, Drive: 2018 PW & 2014 LR4

olyelr
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by olyelr » Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:32 am

OffroadTreks wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:33 am
Whatever BS you need to tell yourself for adjusting the throttle position sensors parameters. :cheers:
Well, sure it doesnt add any more power or anything like that, but if the truck FEELS like it has more power and the throttle response is much better and it makes the drive ability of the vehicle better, I dont understand what the issue is with it.

Some would argue that an aev intake is only good for cumming on too.
2016 Ram Power Wagon Laramie - Granite Crystal Metallic - Ramboxes - 35” AT3W - TazerRAM

:patriot:

TankerZak
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by TankerZak » Sat Dec 07, 2019 1:25 pm

Having done all the mods. If I had to do it over again. I'd do it in this order. Rear track bar, sliders, front diff guard, trans skid plate, front springs and rear 1 inch spacer, boogie bump stops, 37s, PowerStop Z36 break pad swap.

Then go from there... rear springs and upgraded shocks, wheels, rear airbags, front bumper...

Then stuff like gears, rear bumper, etc.

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk

2016 Granite Crystal Metallic Power Wagon Laramie, graphics delete, debadged, Thuren front and rear coils, Thuren rear swaybar links, Thuren front and rear trackbars, Traxada rear 1 inch spacers, King 3.0 (Stage 4) front and 2.5 (Stage 3) rear shocks, Boogie front bump stops, Cooper STT Pro 37x13.50R17 on XD Machette 17x9 +18 wheels, Centramatics, 5.13 gears, DOR steering brace, Thuren truss, Thuren King Steering Damper, Synergy Steering Kit, Thuren PW front bumper, Thuren rear bumper, White Knuckle rock sliders, Dethloff skid plate, Dethloff rear sway bar spacers, Purple Cranium Half Spider front and rear diff guards, Airlift 5000 Ultimate airbags with Daystar cradles, Bakflip Revolver X2 tonneau, Factor55 Ultrahook with 100ft 7/16 A.R.E. Spidersilk synthetic winch line, Zroadz Grill with slim 20 inch light bar, DDM Tuning LEDs/HIDs, Rigid Side Shooter ditch lights, KC rock lights, Rigid fog lights, Baja Designs rear lights, Magnaflow 19200 modified with upgraded resonator and after axle dump, tinted front windows 35%.

TommyDuncan
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by TommyDuncan » Sat Dec 07, 2019 4:00 pm

EasyDoesIt wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:37 am
I don't think you can go wrong with the Extreme Kit or anything Thuren. But if your truck is newer, you aren't trying to correct an issue caused by worn suspension, and you don't have a heavy load mounted above your bed, then I would spend my money a little differently.

-$350 Thuren Front Springs (Many run factory PW rear springs because they are a little stiffer and help with heavier loads).
-$2,000 Thuren King 2.5s

As track bars wear or you find yourself adding more weight or bottoming out, add the rear boogies and front/rear track bars. This is obviously my personal opinion and you know what they say about opinions.

Either way you should consider going through @DamageWagon - Dethloff Mfg and you might save a few bucks.

Regarding 37s and stock gears, I've been running that way for almost 2 years/30k miles and its no problem. Pick up a tuner to adjust your speedo and you should be good. You will lose some of that off the line quickness because the tall 1st gear but its not a big deal. If you tow over 7k lbs, you will definitely notice it but it is manageable as long as you're realistic with your expectations.

Steve
THIS!

I was just thinking about looking at individual part prices instead of a full kit when I saw this. Harsh bottoming in the front is my biggest complaint, although I came from a vehicle with good shocks and front airbumps.
Do the front Thuren springs/King 2.5s address this without the boogies?

Also, I melted/broke one of my rear swaybar links and replaced them with Thurens. I think it made a small difference.

TankerZak
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by TankerZak » Sat Dec 07, 2019 4:17 pm

TommyDuncan wrote:
EasyDoesIt wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:37 am

-$2,000 Thuren King 2.5s

Steve
THIS!

I was just thinking about looking at individual part prices instead of a full kit when I saw this. Harsh bottoming in the front is my biggest complaint, although I came from a vehicle with good shocks and front airbumps.

Also, I melted/broke one of my rear swaybar links and replaced them with Thurens. I think it made a small difference.
Get the boogies up front. You'll still need them. Stock are like rocks. I'm in king 3.0f/2.5r. You won't hit them often but when you do ... ouch...

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk

2016 Granite Crystal Metallic Power Wagon Laramie, graphics delete, debadged, Thuren front and rear coils, Thuren rear swaybar links, Thuren front and rear trackbars, Traxada rear 1 inch spacers, King 3.0 (Stage 4) front and 2.5 (Stage 3) rear shocks, Boogie front bump stops, Cooper STT Pro 37x13.50R17 on XD Machette 17x9 +18 wheels, Centramatics, 5.13 gears, DOR steering brace, Thuren truss, Thuren King Steering Damper, Synergy Steering Kit, Thuren PW front bumper, Thuren rear bumper, White Knuckle rock sliders, Dethloff skid plate, Dethloff rear sway bar spacers, Purple Cranium Half Spider front and rear diff guards, Airlift 5000 Ultimate airbags with Daystar cradles, Bakflip Revolver X2 tonneau, Factor55 Ultrahook with 100ft 7/16 A.R.E. Spidersilk synthetic winch line, Zroadz Grill with slim 20 inch light bar, DDM Tuning LEDs/HIDs, Rigid Side Shooter ditch lights, KC rock lights, Rigid fog lights, Baja Designs rear lights, Magnaflow 19200 modified with upgraded resonator and after axle dump, tinted front windows 35%.

SimonandSimonBeast
250_Posts
250_Posts
Model Year: 2013

Post by SimonandSimonBeast » Sat Dec 07, 2019 5:26 pm

Do it man...37 x 13.5. I just switched from 35 x 12.5. The 35s feel big at first and then quickly they start feeling small on these wagons. 17" x 9" x +18mm or +20mm offset will be great. As far as fender trimming, check out my post on here for trimming on a 4th gen without butchering the inner fender liner. As others said, budget for a tuner or AEV Procal or something like that to correct speedo, odo and shift points.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

:rockon: :chug:

OffroadTreks

Post by OffroadTreks » Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:13 pm

TommyDuncan wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 4:00 pm

The rebound is greatly improved. That being said, as TankerZak said, get the boogies upfront anyways. I got them before I even installed Kings. They are worth it. The factory bumps are made of cement.
-------
------

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor

Post by DamageWagon » Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:15 pm

2.5+ performance shocks with appropriate valving will make a huge improvement in bottom-out resistance. I’d do shocks and then see if you need boogies. I ran for years with stock bumps on my 3.0/2.5 bypasses because I almost never ‘found bottom’.

cb1987
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by cb1987 » Sat Dec 07, 2019 10:52 pm

i only do slower mountain stuff so i would think the fox should be good enough. hek i would probly be happy with bilstein but it didnt look like they make long enough shocks. kings are nice im sure but it seems way overboard for what ill be doing. and the price increase is huge.

so this is what im thinking. maybe i have to piece it together ? 1.5" front springs. soft ride rears with 1" spacer. boogie bumps front/rear. front track bar for sure. possibly the rear also, if it would have some benefit for me. probly no rear swaybar links since i may just remove the the whole bar assembly as i never haul more than a dirtbike. 17x9 +18 wheels. still doing research on which 37" tires i want but im kind of leaning to 13.5 if i can manage not butchering the fenders. if damagewagon is the thuren rep i might have to send a pm.

this isnt a daily driver ( only 5k mi a year) so im not to worried about regears, upgrade brakes, pedal commanders etc etc. besides i dont have the cash for that stuff right now

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor

Post by DamageWagon » Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:03 pm

There’s definitely some options then if that’s how you will be using it. Yes I’m a dealer/installer for Thuren, and owner of Dethloff Mfg.

Whoever you want to go through, feel free to shoot me an email and I can give some better info. Shocks, boogies and swaybar are some things that merit a little more discussion than is easy to type out in here.

Marcus
tech@dethloffmfg.com

KevinABQ
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by KevinABQ » Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:18 pm

SimonandSimonBeast wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 5:26 pm
Do it man...37 x 13.5. I just switched from 35 x 12.5. The 35s feel big at first and then quickly they start feeling small on these wagons. 17" x 9" x +18mm or +20mm offset will be great. As far as fender trimming, check out my post on here for trimming on a 4th gen without butchering the inner fender liner. As others said, budget for a tuner or AEV Procal or something like that to correct speedo, odo and shift points.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
If needed, the dealer can do that for like an hour labor.
2018 White Rambox, Diamondback HD bed cover, White Knuckle sliders, Carli and Purple Cranium diff guards, masterpull 11mm superline, 37 Toyo MT.

cb1987
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by cb1987 » Thu Dec 26, 2019 9:22 pm

has anyone that installed thuren 1.5" front coils measured what the actual lift is ? i thought someone in another post said 1.3" but ive never seen coroberating evidence so im not sure how accurate it is. i would like to get the rear spacers ahead of time if i can but not sure if ill need 1" or 1.5" to get back to near factory rake or slightly less. im thinking 1" would be good but im always wrong when i assume

OffroadTreks

Post by OffroadTreks » Thu Dec 26, 2019 10:50 pm

cb1987 wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 9:22 pm
has anyone that installed thuren 1.5" front coils measured what the actual lift is ? i thought someone in another post said 1.3" but ive never seen coroberating evidence so im not sure how accurate it is. i would like to get the rear spacers ahead of time if i can but not sure if ill need 1" or 1.5" to get back to near factory rake or slightly less. im thinking 1" would be good but im always wrong when i assume
Attachments
2018-03-0432.jpg
-------
------

cb1987
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by cb1987 » Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:49 am

OffroadTreks wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 10:50 pm
do you happen to know the measurement from center of axle hub to top of fender well ?

cb1987
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by cb1987 » Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:29 pm

bunch of boxes and stuff showed up today :excited:
20191230_152221.jpg
Last edited by cb1987 on Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cb1987
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by cb1987 » Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:31 pm

20191230_172409.jpg