Easy way to fix driver's side lean?

aheiser
50_Posts
50_Posts
Model Year: 2012

Easy way to fix driver's side lean?

Post by aheiser » Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:04 pm

As seems common, my driver's side on my '12 is almost an inch lower at the fender height than the passenger. New springs in the front helped it a touch, but that's what I'm left with. I don't mind the spring rate, etc on the factory PW springs, and almost hate buying new springs in back just to level it. I suppose I might be able to find/make a block to further space the spring from the axle? Has anyone priced factory springs? I assume it's just better to go carli or thuren, etc? Probably almost the same price I bet too lol.
2012 Power Wagon SLT Blue Pearl, Thuren suspension, 35" Toyo RTs, Linex bed and rockers, Aero AT3030XL muffler, BT Catch can, more on the way...

OffroadTreks
Model Year: 2015

Re: Easy way to fix driver's side lean?

Post by OffroadTreks » Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:13 pm

aheiser wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:04 pm
As seems common, my driver's side on my '12 is almost an inch lower at the fender height than the passenger. New springs in the front helped it a touch, but that's what I'm left with. I don't mind the spring rate, etc on the factory PW springs, and almost hate buying new springs in back just to level it. I suppose I might be able to find/make a block to further space the spring from the axle? Has anyone priced factory springs? I assume it's just better to go carli or thuren, etc? Probably almost the same price I bet too lol.
I'm not 100% is this even applies, since you have a 2012 with 4-link versus the radius arms on my 2015. But there is a note about this in regards to radius arm trucks on Don Thurens site > https://www.thurenfabrication.com/tech/ ... dling.html that the alignment can effect drivers side lean.

Matter of fact, I had this happen to myself. Took the truck to Les Schwab aka moronville and they put my truck up on the alignment machine, and then next thing I know, the truck has a wicked lean to the passenger side. They tried telling me, well the gas tank is on that side. :angry:

So I took Thuren's specs and went to another shop, and magically the truck is level again, with a full tank. Anyhow, your alignment might be a cheaper item to check before you go throwing springs and stuff on your truck.

:cheers:
2015 Power Wagon Laramie - "ROCKLANDER"
-------
[Build Thread] [Instagram] [Youtube]
------
Full-Size Off-Road Events & Overland Adventures

Colibri
1000_Posts
1000_Posts
Model Year: 2009

Post by Colibri » Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:39 pm

Actually had a similar problem myself, the alignment monkey had my cam bolts 180* out from each other and it caused the whole body to lean like an inch to one side. Fixed alignment and the lean disappeared. That’s on a 4 link truck
Central Texas and Houston area
2009 5.7 auto quadcab
Carli 3” coils deaver leafs 3” kings with 4 tube bypass rear and fr/rr hydro bumps
Howe steering pump and gear with hydraulic ram assist
Custom tube bumpers and white knuckle sliders
Creative fab trussed axle. rem polished and cryoed 5.13 gears with arb lockers fr/rr
Sharadon stage 2 545rfe with 3000 stall edge converter
Lots of other stuff lol

OffroadTreks

Post by OffroadTreks » Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:35 am

Colibri wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:39 pm
Actually had a similar problem myself, the alignment monkey had my cam bolts 180* out from each other and it caused the whole body to lean like an inch to one side. Fixed alignment and the lean disappeared. That’s on a 4 link truck
:cheers: Monkeys. So if it happens on 4 link too, I'd start right there. Mine was so far out it was visible, like "WTF IS WRONG WITH MY TRUCK" lean.
-------
------

aheiser
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by aheiser » Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:05 am

Ah, good tip. Didn't think to check that. I installed new control arms myself and had it aligned at a decent shop. I'll try to take a look! Probably wouldn't hurt to have it rechecked anyway now that it's all settled in after several thousand miles.
2012 Power Wagon SLT Blue Pearl, Thuren suspension, 35" Toyo RTs, Linex bed and rockers, Aero AT3030XL muffler, BT Catch can, more on the way...

OffroadTreks

Post by OffroadTreks » Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:44 am

I'd have it aligned to Thuren's specs personally, and not the default. I saw a big improvement in tire wear and the truck seemed to just handle better with Thurens specs.
-------
------

gtomike60
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by gtomike60 » Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:28 am

I had the lean on my 2012.
Had it aligned to Thuren's specs and it sits level now
,MYoung locker bypass,Dynatrac bjs,Dynatrac no-spin kit w/Dynaloc hubs,Thuren 3" coils,trackbar,shackles and Kings(3"F-2.5"R) shocks,Thuren Alien arms,Thuren/King steering stabilizer,Carli diff guard,White Knuckle sliders,Thuren bumper,37" Cooper STT Pros,Corsa exhaust

FirerescuePW
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by FirerescuePW » Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:06 pm

All of this ^^^

You turn the axle into a big torsion bar if the cams aren't set pretty close to each other. You won't twist the axle, so it either raises or lowers a rear corner. If it raises the left rear, it pushes down on the right front.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

'05 Mineral Gray Power Wagon QC #1005

WINCH MOB PROUD!

SuperChips FlashPaq; DT ProFab Steering Brace; 08.5 Steering linkage (twice); Toyo Open Country M/T 35/12.50x17; Carli front diff guard; Rockcrusher rear diff cover; White Knuckle Offroad Rock Rails; Carli 3"coils, track bar, and High Clearance Control Arms; Carli King 2.5" Remote Resi Shocks; Reflex spray-in liner; Extang Trifecta tonneau cover; Pop Lock electric tailgate lock (OOS); Tekonsha Prodigy brake control; LEDS & Strobes & Siren; Winch TPS Bypass; Warn Wireless Remote; Dog hair, and a BIG Wish List!