New first time PW owner, need some advice about towing with a truck camper.

pwdrchsr

New first time PW owner, need some advice about towing with a truck camper.

Post by pwdrchsr » Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:59 am

Hey guys, I have a 2020 PW and am loving it so far. I have some ideas for adventures this winter that are going to involve a bed camper running about 1200 lbs loaded, and a trailer that’ll be about 4K loaded.

I know I’m sitting right at my limit with this, so I was looking at airbags as the start of my solution. Historically I’ve not been a hardcore truck guy, so I know I’m missing some of the finer nuances of getting my setup right.

Primarily I’m trying to prevent as much sag as possible and also retain the highway rideability while maxed out.

What are your guys thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reloaderguy
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2016

Re: New first time PW owner, need some advice about towing with a truck camper.

Post by Reloaderguy » Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:01 pm

I'd recommend airbags and a weight distribution hitch. I'm running a camper that is about 2200# wet and a 18' car hauler with two SxS's, fuel, water, etc. The WD reduces the body roll caused by the camper and slack in the Smart Bar.

pwdrchsr

Post by pwdrchsr » Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:53 pm

Reloaderguy wrote:I'd recommend airbags and a weight distribution hitch. I'm running a camper that is about 2200# wet and a 18' car hauler with two SxS's, fuel, water, etc. The WD reduces the body roll caused by the camper and slack in the Smart Bar.
That’s great to know. Sounds like I got tons of weight to spare if I get that setup

I just checked out a video of a guy with a WD hitch and swag bar. I’m gonna start with that and airbags and go from there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WhiskeyBear667
Model Year: 2019

Post by WhiskeyBear667 » Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:10 am

im on the waiting list for helwig airbags, let me know what brand you go with and how they pan out...

UglyViking
Model Year: 2019

Post by UglyViking » Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:34 pm

Reloaderguy wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:01 pm
I'd recommend airbags and a weight distribution hitch. I'm running a camper that is about 2200# wet and a 18' car hauler with two SxS's, fuel, water, etc. The WD reduces the body roll caused by the camper and slack in the Smart Bar.
I know this post was like 2 years ago, but here's to hoping. Are you still running the soft rear Thuren coils? I've got a 19 Cummins with the coils and the rear is real soft with just a cap and full sized spare. I'm toyin with a bed camper but curious to how it handles.