JackSprat
Model Year: 2016

Transmission "Shift" solenoid pack?

Post by JackSprat » Mon Mar 14, 2022 10:20 pm

Hey guys, here it is:
16 PW 6spd Auto (66RFE - I think).
75,000mi (used, not abused)(Lol, imo).
First and only proud owner since late 15'

She's having an issue kicking down gears, especially when going down into 3, or 2, or 1 (Like when pulling up to a stop light and its red so you start slowing down, but then turns green on you and you give her the gas), thats when I'm experiencing bad "kick down's", and of course its intermittent, but becoming more frequent.

Also getting a "flair" especially from 4th to 5th, not so much into 4th, but definably into 5th. 2nd into 3rd will do it too, just not as much. Again, its becoming more frequent.

Last, and this is a new symptom, when in drive, at a full stop, and you give it gas, it goes "lightly" into 1st, then as I start rolling forward "lightly/slowly" and I get a little momentum, she "kicks" all the way into first, pretty hard.
Now along with this phenomena, if I put my truck into "Tow/Haul", this issue doesnt happen. But as soon as I take it out and I role up to a Stop sign, this "Kick" is a coming :lol: :lol:

I'm hoping (praying) that I'm dealing with a bad shifting solenoid (not to expensive). When I was look in RockAuto, there's a "Doorman" "Kickdown" solenoid they sell that is a "different" choice (and $300 more), than the "shift" solenoids (looks very similar to the shift solenoid in the pics they provide).
I need help here to figure out if there is in fact two solenoids that need changed, or is this a "data input error" by RockAuto, and these two solenoid packs are the same (or maybe one/both dont apply to my transmission).

If I get up in there (my tranny), I do not want to "not" do something that I should.

I also seen a Transgo "Solenoid Switch Repair Kit" (part #RFESV420NT), is this something I need to look at and do?

The Doorman "Kickdown" solenoids kit is part# DORMAN 609040.

The "Shift" Solenoids I'm looking at is part# WVE 2N1263.

All RockAuto part#'s

Any help in understanding if any of these kits will help fix my issues, or do I need to just suit up and get ready for a rebuild/replacement, or is there something else that I'm not thinking about.

I had my tranny serviced around 50-60,000 with Mopar products, so it shouldn't be a filter issue (could be, obviously I'll change those when I drop the pan and attend this "shifting situation".

Also, do I have a "grey" plug or a "white" plug on my shift solenoid? Apparently, there's a difference.
Someone told me mine was white, but I'd like to hear that again.

No Codes are present (at this time).

Thank you in advanced.
Last edited by JackSprat on Tue Mar 15, 2022 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JackSprat

Re: Transmission "Shift" solenoid pack?

Post by JackSprat » Tue Mar 15, 2022 12:31 am

Im reading the previous "solenoids pack" discussion now.
:doh: :doh: :o :shock:

JackSprat

Post by JackSprat » Tue Mar 15, 2022 1:30 pm

Valve body is on the way from World Wide Specialty Parts (Tow version).
I too missed the "re-call" on the shift solenoid pack, but I'm changing that as well while I'm in there.
I'll post up after the fix is in. :geek:

This site has some great information. :notworthy:

Thanks. :rockon:

17PowerWagon808
Model Year: 2017

Post by 17PowerWagon808 » Thu Oct 13, 2022 6:15 pm

JackSprat wrote:
Tue Mar 15, 2022 1:30 pm
Valve body is on the way from World Wide Specialty Parts (Tow version).
I too missed the "re-call" on the shift solenoid pack, but I'm changing that as well while I'm in there.
I'll post up after the fix is in. :geek:

This site has some great information. :notworthy:

Thanks. :rockon:
Any new information?
Aloha from Hawaii

ghaugo
50_Posts
50_Posts
Model Year: 2012

Post by ghaugo » Tue Nov 15, 2022 7:58 am

I replaced my valve body with the same one posted above along with a new solenoid pack on my 2012. It is running great so far.
2012 Power Wagon
Frame-welded Aluminess Rock Sliders, Kenda Klever RT (35/12.50R17), ARE Z-Series Topper, DeeZee Tailgate Assist, Husky X-act Contour Mats, Purple Cranium Diff Covers Front and Rear, Dodge Offroad Steering Brace, Thuren Track Bar, Thuren Short Arms, Thuren Fox 2.0 Remote Reservoir Shocks, Airlifter Ultimate 5000 airbags, Daystar Cradles, High Country Customs Bumper, Dynatrac ball joints, WWSP HD Towing Valve Body, PML Transmission pan, Thuren XD Swaybar Links, Thuren XS front coils, Abel Components Full Swaybar Bypass, All AMSOIL fluids from Code4Synthetics.com

RustyPW
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2008

Post by RustyPW » Tue Nov 15, 2022 11:41 am

ghaugo wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 7:58 am
I replaced my valve body with the same one posted above along with a new solenoid pack on my 2012. It is running great so far.
:rockon:
PWOC #53
2008 POWER WAGON RC

My build thread. http://forum.powerwagonregistry.org/vie ... =13&t=2826 :cash: :cash:

Moab '09, '10, '12, '14.
Rausch Creek - Summer '10, Spring-Fall '11, Spring '12, Summer '13, Summer '14, Summer '15, Summer '16, Summer '17, Summer '18, Summer '20, Summer '22,
AOAA Summer '19.

Russ
NRA - Benefactor, Golden Eagle. :lockedandloaded: