66RFE troubles

Barleywine
Model Year: 2015

66RFE troubles

Post by Barleywine » Sun Jan 09, 2022 2:01 am

Good evening everyone. I have a 2015 PW that I drive daily 7 mile round trip to work. Use it occasionally for dirt biking the Sierras and tow our 6k boat in the summer. The truck is rated for 15k. The truck only has 78k miles and it is needing a 4th transmission... Here is the run down:
- Original tranny got overhauled via recall for solenoids (I think in 2017)
- That combination burned up while towing approximately 7k worth of tractor and trailer (3-3-19)
- Starting about mid 2021 I noticed that the truck always wanted to upshift, even going up a 17% grade, it would then lug until WOT and then hard downshift and back again we go. So I figured we are going away for Thanksgiving so I left it at the dealer on 11-19-21. Its been there ever since. The service manager ended up taking it on a long drive with a computer hooked and was able to "see" that "something" was not right. FCA told them to open it and now they are saying "something" is broken but can't tell me what. I have corporate involved, but I don't feel they are helping much. For 7 weeks now I am getting told there is no ETA on a new tranny. Frustrated is a polite term.

When I search online, it appears that the 66RFE is very prone to failing, but I figure something else has to be going on here. This is ridiculous.

One thing the truck as always done that is weird to me is while in tow/haul, and going down a hill it will hold a low gear (forever) as in 55 MPH and 5500RPM...and will only upshift on level ground. Figured I would mention it.

The common denominator is that only one dealer has ever touched this tranny, but last tranny was a crate tranny, brand new. How can you screw that one up. Torque the bolts and use the right type and quantity of fluid.

Anyone else had big issues with the 66RFE? Anyone figure out a good solution that keeps this transmission lasting longer than 20k miles? I'm at the point where the only reason I want it fixed is so I can sell it.
2015 Power Wagon Laramie
Stock everything accept for electric steps and a cab guard

17PowerWagon808
Model Year: 2017

Re: 66RFE troubles

Post by 17PowerWagon808 » Thu Oct 13, 2022 5:28 pm

Yes. I have a 17 PW with 58524 miles. Mine acts the same way. That's why I'm here researching today.
Aloha from Hawaii

17PowerWagon808
Model Year: 2017

Post by 17PowerWagon808 » Thu Oct 13, 2022 5:28 pm

Yes. I have a 17 PW with 58524 miles. Mine acts the same way. That's why I'm here researching today.
Aloha from Hawaii

Bill2014
1000_Posts
1000_Posts
Model Year: 2014

Post by Bill2014 » Fri Oct 14, 2022 8:19 am

It's unfortunate...

Some folks seem to have no end of transmission issues with the Gen 4.5 trucks. The computer tries to "adaptively learn" and adjust some settings based upon the use. I noticed my transmission behavior changed back to the factory behavior when i had to disconnect and replace my battery. I'm pretty sure disconnecting and reconnecting your battery will temporarily change things a bit - but won't fix any serious issues - you still might want to try that and see if you notice any difference.

It's unlikely that heavy towing is causing the issues... I occasionally tow over 15,000 pounds without issue - I usually try to avoid WOT for any amount of time, other than to get moving and get up to speed so I'm not holding up traffic.

Best of luck to you guys... :cheers:
2014 Power Wagon Laramie
Titan V5 2.5" Receiver Pintle Hook
Warn wireless winch controller
.188" DOM White Knuckle Rock Sliders
Locker Bypass & Nanny Kill Switch

Moab 2006