Flashing locker lights

ThomasKeife
Model Year: 2018

Flashing locker lights

Post by ThomasKeife » Wed Sep 08, 2021 2:07 pm

So a while back my power wagon's lights on the control knob for the front and rear lockers started flashing while driving with switch/knob in off position like they where trying to engage. I tried researching online and found it could be an indication of a few different things. Possibly a bad switch, connection, dirty magnets, bad unicorn blood in axels, etc. Unable to fix it myself I decided to go back to dealer where power wagon was purchased. Of course warranty just expired so I'm paying out of pocket at my own expense for technicians to learn about the power wagon's systems it feels like. So far they replaced the oil and cleaned magnetics, front locker module and the entire smart bar assembly because they said the locker module shorted out and fried the smart bars computer board supposedly, I have yet to see the old parts. Also these parts could not be purchased separately to just fix what was broken as the electronic parts are sold attached to the smart bar only $2900. So after all this and almost $4000 later the locker lights are still flashing and the lockers cannot be used for more than a few seconds before disengaging on their own. Lights on knob are still flashing as soon as truck is started and driven regardless of switch position on or off. Please help!?

UncleYarbie
Model Year: 2008

Re: Flashing locker lights

Post by UncleYarbie » Sun Dec 18, 2022 8:27 pm

According to the FSM the locker flashing light could be caused by a bad/faulty magnet, smart bar connection issues or. I've had this issue on my '08 since purchasing. I would suggest doing like most have and eliminating the smart bar entirely and using the Abel Component kit. I'm planning on putting one in mind and haven't heard a bad word about them. On top of the fact it gives you the ability to lock the rear in 2wd like the newer trucks do.

Jeff
2008 PW QC G56

Idaho RC
Model Year: 2017

Post by Idaho RC » Mon Dec 19, 2022 5:43 pm

I have the locker and sway bar system by Abel on my 2017. I love the way they work. Super happy with them!

longbox

Post by longbox » Tue Jul 11, 2023 5:23 pm

Boy, it's been a long time since I posted here, but I have the flashing locker switch/serv 4wd light problem. Are there any updates to the posted information. I'm not a mechanic and am no good with electronics. Truck is 2005 with low mileage.
Could anyone explain to me what this smartbar is? That's how little I know.
Also, does anyone here know of a good Power Wagon mechanic in the Calgary area?

Thanks folks.

Longbox
2005 Silver Regular Cab- Stock(plus a few beauty marks)

RustyPW
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by RustyPW » Tue Jul 11, 2023 8:55 pm

longbox wrote:
Tue Jul 11, 2023 5:23 pm
Boy, it's been a long time since I posted here, but I have the flashing locker switch/serv 4wd light problem. Are there any updates to the posted information. I'm not a mechanic and am no good with electronics. Truck is 2005 with low mileage.
Could anyone explain to me what this smartbar is? That's how little I know.
Also, does anyone here know of a good Power Wagon mechanic in the Calgary area?

Thanks folks.

Longbox
The smart bar is the sway bar. On it, on the right side of it is the computer for the lockers and sway bar dis connect. 99% of the time. That's where the issue is. Given the age of your PW. You may not be able to get a replacement smart bar. If you do, it may be anywhere from $1,500 to over $3,000. Check with Retired BLM. He might be able to help you.
PWOC #53
2008 POWER WAGON RC

My build thread. http://forum.powerwagonregistry.org/vie ... =13&t=2826 :cash: :cash:

Moab '09, '10, '12, '14.
Rausch Creek - Summer '10, Spring-Fall '11, Spring '12, Summer '13, Summer '14, Summer '15, Summer '16, Summer '17, Summer '18, Summer '20, Summer '22,
AOAA Summer '19.

Russ
NRA - Benefactor, Golden Eagle. :lockedandloaded:

longbox

Post by longbox » Wed Jul 12, 2023 11:03 am

Thanks Rusty. If I look under the front end can I see the computer on the sway bar? Is it a box or something that stands out?

I contacted Abel Components and David got back to me right away. Sounds like I can bypass the smart bar/sway bar/computer? Does this mean the sway bar disconnect is fubar as well. That part is not critical as I have never used it.

Apparently the 2005 is a different bird than the newer PW's and has a sway bar switch. Does this mean the fix is different. Apologies to Abel as I probably could get the answers there, but hate to be a bother to a builder. Should I test the sway bar disconnect as a clue to the problems fix?

Do you know if I am doing any further damage to the system by running the truck with the problem not fixed? I haven't tried to lock the axles, but obviously could. Would dinking around with the switch accomplish anything?

This is a farm truck that doesn't get a lot of use, but would be nice to have the lockers working.

RustyPW
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by RustyPW » Wed Jul 12, 2023 6:36 pm

longbox wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2023 11:03 am
Thanks Rusty. If I look under the front end can I see the computer on the sway bar? Is it a box or something that stands out?

I contacted Abel Components and David got back to me right away. Sounds like I can bypass the smart bar/sway bar/computer? Does this mean the sway bar disconnect is fubar as well. That part is not critical as I have never used it.

Apparently the 2005 is a different bird than the newer PW's and has a sway bar switch. Does this mean the fix is different. Apologies to Abel as I probably could get the answers there, but hate to be a bother to a builder. Should I test the sway bar disconnect as a clue to the problems fix?

Do you know if I am doing any further damage to the system by running the truck with the problem not fixed? I haven't tried to lock the axles, but obviously could. Would dinking around with the switch accomplish anything?

This is a farm truck that doesn't get a lot of use, but would be nice to have the lockers working.
The so called computer is mounted on the right side of the sway bar. There is a wiring harness going to it.

The '05's uses a different canbus protocol than the '06 and up PW's.

Try to see if the sway bar disconnect will work. The is no harm in trying. Try your lockers too.

You won't hurt anything running as is. I don't think messing around with the switch will do anything. Most of the time. The problem is with the smart bar connection most of the time. The pins get corroded and lose contact.
PWOC #53
2008 POWER WAGON RC

My build thread. http://forum.powerwagonregistry.org/vie ... =13&t=2826 :cash: :cash:

Moab '09, '10, '12, '14.
Rausch Creek - Summer '10, Spring-Fall '11, Spring '12, Summer '13, Summer '14, Summer '15, Summer '16, Summer '17, Summer '18, Summer '20, Summer '22,
AOAA Summer '19.

Russ

longbox

Post by longbox » Wed Jul 12, 2023 7:56 pm

Thanks Rusty, my worry would be that the swaybar unlocks and the lockers lock and then I can't reverse it.

Perhaps the place to start is the smartbar connection. I'll have a look underneath and inspect the plug-in now I know where to look. Perhaps the axle connections also.

I'm curious if there's a 2005 owner here that has done the bypass and could give some advice on this specific year?

RustyPW
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by RustyPW » Wed Jul 12, 2023 9:17 pm

longbox wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2023 7:56 pm
Thanks Rusty, my worry would be that the swaybar unlocks and the lockers lock and then I can't reverse it.

Perhaps the place to start is the smartbar connection. I'll have a look underneath and inspect the plug-in now I know where to look. Perhaps the axle connections also.

I'm curious if there's a 2005 owner here that has done the bypass and could give some advice on this specific year?
Di electrical grease is your friend. Pack the connectors with it.
PWOC #53
2008 POWER WAGON RC

Moab '09, '10, '12, '14.
AOAA Summer '19.

Russ

Mule
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by Mule » Thu Jul 13, 2023 7:25 pm

Lockers and SERV-4WD are probably two different problems.

Flashing locker lights usually has to do with the actuator. Under the diff cover is the sensor for the locker position, locked or unlocked. With gear wear in the diff, the magnet on the sensor builds up metal skuzz and eventually starts to close the gap on that sensor, reporting to the computer that the locker's locked when it's not commanded to be locked. In that state, the locker light will blink. Once the position matches the indicator (you tell it to lock, and the sensor detects lock), the light goes solid.
That sensor won't last forever, and when cleaning the magnet doesn't change the state (i.e., light *always* flashes), usually need a new locker actuator. I did that a few years ago to fix the problem (needed new gears anyways... :cash: ) Rear diff gets hot and the sensor's electronics quit. Can't just replace the sensor, entire actuator has to get replaced.

SERV-4WD is often the smart bar. The "computer" module on the bar itself, on the 05s most of the 4wd/swaybar/locker stuff went through the smart bar. For better or worse. As mentioned, check the condition of all those wires and teh connector on it.

Another common issue is the 4WD light staying on, even when the transfer case isn't in 4. That's an easy fix, there's a sensor on the top of the t-case that needs to be replaced. Inexpensive and easy to get to.

longbox

Post by longbox » Fri Jul 21, 2023 5:16 pm

Thank you Mule and everybody else. Great info!

Now I need to find the time to investigate.

What a fantastic forum.

longbox

Post by longbox » Mon Jan 29, 2024 4:20 pm

Here I am again.

Just did the Abel locker bypass and it is working as expected. My thanks go out to David at Abel. I am amazed that he came up with this.

Since the "service 4wd" light went out a few months ago I let this issue slide, but I really wanted to have the lockers working so I completed the bypass.
And guess what- the "service 4wd" light came on again. I'm thinking I should check the connections at the smartbar? What about the sway bar which I have never used? I'm not sure what to even look for when I disconnect it. Just would be nice to have the light off- it's interesting that it's back on once the lockers are working. I did find a little rust on the one front pin and scraped what I could off and applied lots of di electric grease that came with the kit.

Thoughts?

pnora
Model Year: 2015

Post by pnora » Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:46 pm

On my 2015 the service 4WD light on the cluster has nothing to do with the lockers. It is part of the actual 4WD engagement system. I would get it scanned for codes. Mine has the U0403 code and it has to do with the signal the transfer case switch/sensor tells the modules. I am still under a lifetime service contract so the dealership will be looking at it this week. I also have a front locker flashing on the locker switch panel. That's a separate issue that they also are looking at. There is an open wire from the smart bar to the front axle actuator connector. Once these are fixed and the system is working correctly I am going to get all the Abel upgrades and install them my self.