Smoked a motor

Truckin Redneck
Model Year: 2015

Smoked a motor

Post by Truckin Redneck » Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:28 pm

So yesterday around 11 am I noticed a slight tick to the truck. I thought ok exhaust manifold time,I made it to 99k not a big deal, but as i drove home(approximately 12 miles) the truck began to get a much more noticeable tick. Pulled over checked oil and everything was perfect until i fired the truck up again. Now the tick was constant and as loud as a cracked manifold. I called the dealer and they said to drive it in. I offered to have it towed but they insisted that if no check engine light was present to not worry about it. I wasn't going to take a chance so I called for a roll back. When we arrived my service writer came out looking surprised to see the truck on the back of a truck. I said i didn't want to take chances. The writer hopped in and fired it up and it sounded like a mallet on the front bumper for all of 3 maybe 4 seconds. The writer said lets push it in. We parted ways with the understanding they would get to it as soon as they could. Today I receive a call the rocker broke on number 4 caused the lifter to stay stationary and grind the cam down. So at this point they said cam and lifters then check for metal in the oil pump. If metal is present new motor if not according to Chrysler Its good to go. Now with that being said has anyone else been through this, same method of testing? Is the new part an updated one? Any info is great thanks.

Oh truck is a 15.
Get busy living.

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor
Model Year: 2011

Re: Smoked a motor

Post by DamageWagon » Sun Feb 23, 2020 1:20 am

I haven’t heard of a rocker breaking! That’s wild. I’d be concerned with metal shavings from the cam. It is possible the pickup screen caught them but the cam bearings are definitely at risk even if nothing got into the pump.

ScubaSteve
50_Posts
50_Posts
Model Year: 2016

Post by ScubaSteve » Sun Feb 23, 2020 5:10 pm

All the stories I have read of MDS failures and cams getting wiped out, I have never been OK with their apparent solution. Any time there is an internal failure in an engine, that is an immediate full teardown and rebuild. It seems they just try to clean up and kick it back out the door replacing what had failed. Block should be stripped, whole thing hot tanked and flushed, with all new bearings and oil pump.

I wouldn't accept a dealer hack repair.

Truckin Redneck

Post by Truckin Redneck » Sun Feb 23, 2020 5:35 pm

Spoke with the service advisor today, I have known her for years and had a great relationship with her. She said if the oil screen has metal on it, new motor time. If no metal is present Chrysler will not allow a new motor under warranty. She said this is her, not the other writers, but her 59th MDS failure since 09. Honestly I have 9 Dodge and Ram trucks varying for 2500 6.4s to 5500 6.7s and have always had great luck with them, they mostly are used for landscape work, towing, and snowplowing. This though is my second Hemi replacement my last on was a 12 2500 with a 5.7 with only 66k! Honestly If a new motor is not being put in by Chrysler I believe the truck is going down the road. I love the cummins motors but this is honestly ridiculous, I am batting a better reliability rate with my old ford 6.0s and if you know those piles that's a statement in and of itself.
Get busy living.

13powerwagon
50_Posts
50_Posts
Model Year: 2013

Post by 13powerwagon » Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:35 pm

What went wrong on the 5.7?
2013 tradesman
Thuren 2” coils, track bar, short arms, 2.5 Kings, axle truss, LT leafs, shackles and front bumper. Carli ball joints, 37” dynapro mts on stock wheels, purple cranium dif covers, maple offroad skid, offset rear cross bar, sliders and high clearance rear bumper.

Truckin Redneck

Post by Truckin Redneck » Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:47 pm

13powerwagon wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:35 pm
What went wrong on the 5.7?
Multiple lifter failures one three cylinders, ground the cam flat, caused metal to go though entire engine.
Get busy living.

terb

Post by terb » Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:59 pm

Any new yet?

Truckin Redneck

Post by Truckin Redneck » Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:17 pm

So I wanted to get a few miles on the truck before I got back on here. Truck is running well, only thing I noticed when driving was the dealer didn't install a air dam back on the truck, just left it sitting on the winch. This was discovered when taking a trip to the next town over and my oil temp was through the roof. Turns out the air dam was folding over and blocking the cooler, not a major problem, but annoying never the less. While under the truck I noticed a completely soaked front axel in oil. A bit worried I investigated further to be just a poor clean up job. Fixed the air dam and cleaned the truck. pretty much good as new.
Get busy living.

Allgonoshow
Model Year: 2013

Post by Allgonoshow » Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:45 pm

This sounds a lot like what the 5.7 is doing in my 2013 pw.
CHECK THIS OUT!!!
https://youtu.be/dI93-Zdx_nY

ketsair
Model Year: 2010

Post by ketsair » Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:29 pm

I bought my truck with pretty much this same problem. I did the work myself, but cam replacement & hellcat lifters (larger bearing less likely to fail) while youre there, might as we'll do a timing chain, water pump, & oil pump. As a note. I did not have to open the AC to do this. After pulling the radiator, the condenser will lay back to give you about 1" extra room to pull the cam out.

cb1987
50_Posts
50_Posts
Model Year: 2014

Post by cb1987 » Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:18 pm

anyone using the johnson lifters?