Grinding/rumble when shifting into reverse

Mario75
Model Year: 2017

Grinding/rumble when shifting into reverse

Post by Mario75 » Sat Nov 30, 2019 7:06 pm

So my 2017 power wagon just had its transmission and transfer case replaced under warranty because it was making a rumble or grumble sound when I go from P to R.

It shifted fine and 4x4 worked. Only issue was the sound and it was getting progressively more noticeable. I got the truck back and it’s making the noise again. Anybody else have this problem?

I know the drive shaft noise is common for these but it’s not the clunking it’s like a short grinding or rumble sound. Any help would be appreciated.

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor
Model Year: 2011

Re: Grinding/rumble when shifting into reverse

Post by DamageWagon » Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:48 am

You’re having the same noise with all new trans and t case? Either the trans programming is wacky, the shift lever is mis adjusted, or those parts were not replaced.

Mario75

Post by Mario75 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:16 pm

I got underneath the truck and looked. transmission looks brand new and so does the transfer case. I also marked with a grease pen the t case and transmission in an area so I could see if it was truly replaced. I drove another truck on their lot with 61k a 2016 power wagon and the transmission shifts great and no noise whatsoever. So I’m stumped.

They also checked my pcm and TCM and everything is up to date. Is there a possibility that it’s a bed TCM or PCM?

The noise sounds like a ratcheting noise when R is selected. It’s doing it from D-R, N-R, P-R is the loudest.

I really love this thing and I wish somebody out there knew what this sound was or had experienced it and gotten it resolved. Almost all the forums I’ve read people who have experienced close to what I’m hearing have been told “just deal with it until it breaks” or “that’s normal operation”. :roll:

olyelr
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2016

Post by olyelr » Sat Dec 28, 2019 5:32 pm

DamageWagon wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:48 am
You’re having the same noise with all new trans and t case? Either the trans programming is wacky, the shift lever is mis adjusted, or those parts were not replaced.
.... or, it is something else causing the noise....
2016 Ram Power Wagon Laramie - Granite Crystal Metallic - Ramboxes - 35” AT3W - TazerRAM

:patriot:

Mario75

Post by Mario75 » Sun Dec 29, 2019 5:53 pm

I Marked the transmission with a knife and Tcase before it went in so i would know if it was replaced or not. I cant see the marks anymore and the transmission and Tcase color is shinier than my engine block, definitely looks newer.

As for the noise it has continued to make it and my dealer has agreed to have the regional FCA tech meet me at the dealer after the holidays to go over what its doing. To my dealers credit they have assisted me the whole way through the process and after speaking with the FCA engineer and regional manager they want me to be happy and stated they will stand by their product.

Allgonoshow
Model Year: 2013

Post by Allgonoshow » Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:47 pm

Were you in 4low for this to happen?

Ramination
Model Year: 2015

Post by Ramination » Tue May 31, 2022 5:55 pm

My 15 did the same thing and it was the front axle disconnect