Member Builds How-To's
Jack187
50_Posts
50_Posts
Model Year: 2015

How to change TPMS default threshold

Post by Jack187 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:17 am

Hi All,

I'm new to the forum but figured this might help some of the guys with the Gen 4 trucks. The Gen 3 (and I think prior as well) have a switch that allows the TPMS pressure setting to be flipped between a high inflation pressure and a lower one. Unfortunately, the Gen 4 trucks do not have this feature.

As such, if you air down your tires to a value 20% below the number stored in the computer (65 PSI is stored on the Gen 4 PowerWagon), the warning sensors will trigger and flash until the tires have been aired up to 65 PSI again. On the Gen 4, this means the flashing will trigger at 52 PSI. The flashing itself can be navigated away from using the EVIC control to go back to the speedometer, but the orange TPMS warning light will stay lit. The flashing will reappear on the EVIC readout each time the vehicle is restarted, until the pressure in all tires is once again at 100% of the pressure setting stored in the computer.

I did quite a bit of research on the issue as it appeared many dealers were having issues trying to reset the threshold pressure in the computer. I eventually found a post, that just happened to be from a tech at a dealership that said he had figured out the issue. I compiled all the information into one list of steps and took my PowerWagon to my dealership yesterday. They initially ran into the same flashing issue after they had stored the new value into the computer. The tech came out to me and said the updates had been applied, but the system was still flashing. I gave him the steps I compiled and he came back 20 minutes later saying it was all working. I can confirm my thresholds were lowered from 65 PSI to 50 PSI and I am running 50 PSI in the tires currently with no warnings. Below is a list of the steps. i hope this helps anyone still experiencing this issue.

TPMS Minimum Threshold Adjustment steps:

1. If the low tire pressure indicator has already been triggered, all tires should be inflated back to the default 65 PSI (PowerWagon default pressure) prior to adjusting the pressure threshold in the vehicle’s computer system. Once it is verified there is no low pressure warning in the console after starting the vehicle, proceed to step 2.

2. Enter the low tire pressure threshold in the body control module BCM to desired air pressure
(50 PSI is desired) (65 PSI is standard). The goal is to lower it to 50 PSI.

3. Run the function in the Radio Frequency Hub RFH, "RFH replaced" (not actually replacing it).
When run, this function will transfer the desired air pressure thresholds from the BCM to the RFH.

4. Lower the pressure in the tires one at a time (rear tires first) to 50 PSI. Check for triggering of the low tire pressure warning on the cluster after lowering each tire. If the warning triggers after any tire is lowered to 50 PSI, the update to the computer failed. In case of a triggering of the warning, all tires must be re-inflated to 65 PSI and the process must begin again at step #1.
Under the factory setting of 65 PSI, the low tire pressure indicator will activate if any tire goes below 52 PSI (which is 80% of the threshold).
The built in logic allows a 20% variance from the stored value, so if the new desired pressure of 50 PSI is used, the low tire indicator should not trigger until the pressure reaches 40 PSI.
2015 Tradesman (PW option), 37X12.50R17LT Cooper Discoverer STT Pro tires, AEV Katla 8.5" wheels

Bill2014
1000_Posts
1000_Posts
Model Year: 2014

Re: How to change TPMS default threshold

Post by Bill2014 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:26 pm

Nice work! :rockon:
2014 Power Wagon Laramie
Titan V5 2.5" Receiver Pintle Hook
Warn wireless winch controller
.188" DOM White Knuckle Rock Sliders
Locker Bypass & Nanny Kill Switch

Moab 2006

Jack187
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by Jack187 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:26 pm

Thanks. Just to clarify, the 50 PSI listed in the steps is the figure I decided to use. It could as easily be set to 45 PSI or any number is available through the programming computer. By going with 50 PSI, I won't see a warning activation until a tire dips to 40 PSI.
2015 Tradesman (PW option), 37X12.50R17LT Cooper Discoverer STT Pro tires, AEV Katla 8.5" wheels

JBM Power Wagon
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by JBM Power Wagon » Wed Jul 01, 2015 4:04 pm

Hmmm, my problem is I already have 315/70/17 tires with a max pressure of 50psi. So I wouldn't be able to inflate the tires to 65psi to do this as the steps indicate.
Loving my 3/4 ton version of my old Jeep TJ!!!!!

Jack187
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by Jack187 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 4:18 pm

Assuming the EVIC is similar to the one I had on my Jeep Grand Cherokee, the alert should be clear-able by disconnecting the battery for a minute. Assuming you have already placed the new value in the computer, it should conduct the next start-up check against the new value and not trigger an alert, so long as the actual pressure exceeds 80% of the new stored value. This is all theoretical, but unless the alert queue is stored in some type of persistent memory, it should work.

Mike-H
50_Posts
50_Posts
Model Year: 2013

Post by Mike-H » Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:15 am

Youre referring to changing the value on all the tires? My 4th gen has a light load setting but only for the rest. Light load has a preset of 45 psi for the rear tires.

Jack187
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by Jack187 » Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:26 am

Mike-H wrote:Youre referring to changing the value on all the tires? My 4th gen has a light load setting but only for the rest. Light load has a preset of 45 psi for the rear tires.
Do you have an actual button or switch to change the rear pressure setting, and what year is your truck? I probably spoke incorrectly earlier.
I don't know the specific point in time they discontinued the button to swap the settings. but from what I read it appears the change was somewhere around the end of 2013.

Jack187
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by Jack187 » Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:54 am

JBM Power Wagon wrote:Hmmm, my problem is I already have 315/70/17 tires with a max pressure of 50psi. So I wouldn't be able to inflate the tires to 65psi to do this as the steps indicate.
JBM Power Wagon,

i happened across another TPMS post on another forum that may give you some hope. It might be that the initial pressure setting is not required. Here is the post:

"Ok guys.... I've done this on several trucks now and have confirmed it will work on any 2014+ and on any model (I have not tried it on C&C yet). You will have to have this done at a dealer. Print this and take it in and they should be able to change your settings and turn off the light. It takes about 10 minutes.

Step 1: Go into the BCM (body control module). Go to "miscellaneous functions". Go to "update pressure thresholds". Set pressure to desired settings. Do not try to do different pressures front and back! Even if you run 10 psi difference front to back you won't get a light. If you plan to run 10 psi difference I suggest your "setting" be in the middle of the high and low just to give you a little cushion.

Step 2: Go into the RFH (radio frequency hub). Go to "miscellaneous functions". Perform "RFH replace" and follow prompts. You will need the PIN number for the truck. That can be obtained through Dealer Connect with the vin number to the truck. When following the prompts - when asked for desired pressure setting - set new pressure levels. You do not need to replace anything - just perform the function to set new levels.

I have not had to drive the truck - once the RFH replace function is done the light goes out and the truck is reading new pressures.

Done!!"

Stickman
500_Posts
500_Posts
Model Year: 2012

Post by Stickman » Thu Jul 02, 2015 2:23 am

On my 2012 I run 45 in the rear and 50 in the fronts on the "light load" setting with no issues. Light only comes on somewhere between 40 and 45, seems to vary depending on outdoor temp so 45-50 seems to be the sweet spot.
Live To Ride, Ride To Live

2012 Ram Power Wagon - Check out my build thread to see my mods! http://forum.powerwagonregistry.org/vie ... =13&t=2187

Will
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2010

Post by Will » Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:43 am

I dont want to change the psi, I want to dissable it all together, figure out how to do that with no dash lights and dings everything you start up. ( I have contemplated finding the dinger and poking out the light :lol: )
2010 with 37" hooves, controlled by numerous Thuren parts and Thuren Custom King 2.5's (Moved to a new home)
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2333

I only do what the majority of the 4 voices in my head tell me to. In most cases, I ignore two of them because one doesn't speak English, and I suspect the other is talking to someone else.

JBM Power Wagon
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by JBM Power Wagon » Thu Jul 02, 2015 4:22 pm

Jack187 wrote:
JBM Power Wagon wrote:Hmmm, my problem is I already have 315/70/17 tires with a max pressure of 50psi. So I wouldn't be able to inflate the tires to 65psi to do this as the steps indicate.
JBM Power Wagon,

i happened across another TPMS post on another forum that may give you some hope. It might be that the initial pressure setting is not required. Here is the post:

"Ok guys.... I've done this on several trucks now and have confirmed it will work on any 2014+ and on any model (I have not tried it on C&C yet). You will have to have this done at a dealer. Print this and take it in and they should be able to change your settings and turn off the light. It takes about 10 minutes.

Step 1: Go into the BCM (body control module). Go to "miscellaneous functions". Go to "update pressure thresholds". Set pressure to desired settings. Do not try to do different pressures front and back! Even if you run 10 psi difference front to back you won't get a light. If you plan to run 10 psi difference I suggest your "setting" be in the middle of the high and low just to give you a little cushion.

Step 2: Go into the RFH (radio frequency hub). Go to "miscellaneous functions". Perform "RFH replace" and follow prompts. You will need the PIN number for the truck. That can be obtained through Dealer Connect with the vin number to the truck. When following the prompts - when asked for desired pressure setting - set new pressure levels. You do not need to replace anything - just perform the function to set new levels.

I have not had to drive the truck - once the RFH replace function is done the light goes out and the truck is reading new pressures.

Done!!"
Thanks for sharing that. At some point in time I will have to take the truck in and see if the dealer can do this.
Loving my 3/4 ton version of my old Jeep TJ!!!!!

Mike-H
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by Mike-H » Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:53 pm

Jack187 wrote:
Mike-H wrote:Youre referring to changing the value on all the tires? My 4th gen has a light load setting but only for the rest. Light load has a preset of 45 psi for the rear tires.
Do you have an actual button or switch to change the rear pressure setting, and what year is your truck? I probably spoke incorrectly earlier.
I don't know the specific point in time they discontinued the button to swap the settings. but from what I read it appears the change was somewhere around the end of 2013.

Yes I have an actual button that says "Light Load" on the dash. It's s 2013.

FirerescuePW
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by FirerescuePW » Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:28 am

This may be sticky-worthy
'05 Mineral Gray Power Wagon QC #1005

WINCH MOB PROUD!

SuperChips FlashPaq; DT ProFab Steering Brace; 08.5 Steering linkage (twice); Toyo Open Country M/T 35/12.50x17; Carli front diff guard; Rockcrusher rear diff cover; White Knuckle Offroad Rock Rails; Carli 3"coils, track bar, and High Clearance Control Arms; Carli King 2.5" Remote Resi Shocks; Reflex spray-in liner; Extang Trifecta tonneau cover; Pop Lock electric tailgate lock (OOS); Tekonsha Prodigy brake control; LEDS & Strobes & Siren; Winch TPS Bypass; Warn Wireless Remote; Dog hair, and a BIG Wish List!

2011TXPowerWagon
500_Posts
500_Posts
Model Year: 2011

Post by 2011TXPowerWagon » Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:20 am

I just run mine at 60 psi and no lights or warnings. :run: :run: :run:
"A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul."

-George Bernard Shaw

Jack187
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by Jack187 » Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:10 pm

Mike-H wrote:
Jack187 wrote:

Yes I have an actual button that says "Light Load" on the dash. It's s 2013.
I think you are one of the lucky ones. It looks like 2014+ trucks are the ones with the issue.

Mike-H
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by Mike-H » Fri Jul 03, 2015 6:51 pm

Good to know. I do know it made a big difference in the ride just dropping the rear from 65 to 45. Odd through I though the 13 and 14+ dashes were the same. Guess they took that button off, shame, it's nice to have.

Txpowerwagon
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by Txpowerwagon » Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:21 pm

I had mine done a week or so ago... set mine to 45.. I run 50 on all 4... no lights... running my 35s at max psi sucked... no lights, smooth ride

Stickman
500_Posts
500_Posts
Model Year: 2012

Post by Stickman » Sat Jul 04, 2015 12:49 am

I'm pretty sure the 13s were the last year for the light load button, which is ridiculous, I don't have any idea why they got rid of it, especially on these trucks that are made to run at lower tire pressures off road. Maybe they thought the new tires combined with the new rear suspension was smooth enough to justify not needing to run your pressures lower for a better ride?
Live To Ride, Ride To Live

2012 Ram Power Wagon - Check out my build thread to see my mods! http://forum.powerwagonregistry.org/vie ... =13&t=2187

Mpersicke87
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by Mpersicke87 » Sat Jul 11, 2015 6:49 am

Will wrote:I dont want to change the psi, I want to dissable it all together, figure out how to do that with no dash lights and dings everything you start up. ( I have contemplated finding the dinger and poking out the light :lol: )
Will, I am under the assumption that because it is federally required by law now for all vehicles to have tpms, they probably can't take it away altogether.

But, if you don't mind just having the little light on the dash, you could simply unplug your module.

That will leave -- in all 4 corners, but unfortunately you'll still have the light.

Perhaps have the threshold set to 30psi? And just quit being so picky.

I'll be asking my dealership if they can do this once I have all my gremlins figured out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Will
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2010

Post by Will » Sat Jul 11, 2015 8:27 am

I know, I know. Is the law only for the manufacturing though... I have unplugged it but its the same as far as dinging and showing pressures to have to exit out of, my local dealership is horrible. They will not even look at it without charging you and I think electrical starts at $98 before they touch it.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
2010 with 37" hooves, controlled by numerous Thuren parts and Thuren Custom King 2.5's (Moved to a new home)
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2333

I only do what the majority of the 4 voices in my head tell me to. In most cases, I ignore two of them because one doesn't speak English, and I suspect the other is talking to someone else.

Mpersicke87
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by Mpersicke87 » Sat Jul 11, 2015 9:03 pm

Mine is unplugged and doesn't ding at me anymore.

It's nice. Lol

AlterEgo

Post by AlterEgo » Sun Jul 12, 2015 11:43 am

I just took out the TPMS completely from the wheels. I get the display showing no tire pressure every startup, but no dinging and no orange light.

jailor97
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by jailor97 » Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:00 pm

I have tried the only 2 dealerships in town to get this done. Both of them refuse to even look at it. It's so ridiculous seeing how AEV can take the same truck, lift it and throw big tires on, and they can get the light to turn off, then sell that same truck at a dealer. :angry:
2015 Power Wagon in Granite Metallic w/Rambox
Bak Flip G2, Westin Pro Traxx 4, twin JL Audio 10"subs powered by JL RD500x1, DDM Tuning HID low/LED high headlights, 35" BFG's, DeeZee tailgate assist, custom Magnaflow true dual exhaust, AEM Dryflow Airfilter, Diablo Intune2 w/Hemifever tuning

more to come...

scoutermike

Post by scoutermike » Mon Oct 10, 2016 2:01 am

A friend of mine that is a Chrysler Engineer do the above procedure on my 2016 and it worked. Set them to 45 and all is now good. He also tried to reset my tire size to my speedo would be accurate but it didn't take. Not sure why.....
2016 PowerWagon Flame Red - Loaded, Amsteel Blue winch line and extension, Factor 55 Prolink, Duratrac 315/70R17LT, Rigid Fog Light bkt. and D2's (Driving and wide), SPOD.

2015 Hellcat Charger B5 Blue - loaded

Low_Sky
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by Low_Sky » Mon Oct 10, 2016 11:27 am

What kind of programmer and software version did your friend use? The tool the dealerships use (I think it's called a "witech") got a software update several months ago that took away the ability to change the TPMS. Any dealership's tool should be fully updated, so I'm wondering if your friend had access to a tool with out of date software. Either way, good for you! You found the holy grail!

John
Alaska
2015 PW on 2.5" Thuren Kings
My build thread