Sway and oscillation

Newbie Corner: New Members Must Post 1 post in this forum FIRST before posting elsewhere. This is a chance to let everyone know who you are, info about your wagon, etc.
grizzjeeper
Model Year: 2016

Sway and oscillation

Post by grizzjeeper » Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:31 pm

New member, looking for advise

2016 Power wagon, 77k miles. At about 60 thousand I noticed the side to side sway when trailering was getting worse, ironically the heavier the trailer the better the sway got but I digress.

At about 65k I started noticing the side to side sway unladen, no trailer, felt like the shocks were not controlling the bounce. So I replaced them with Rancho 9000 rs. I figured having the adjustability would be nice. Well i now have them cranked up to full firm and I no difference... so.. Brought it to the dealer, i got the typical we could not replicate the problem must be your tires... and everything is tight underneath nothing wrong..

So, 1. either the new shocks are not up to the task (Seems unlikely considering the price point and adjustability) or 2 something else is the culprit. I have noticed my springs have sagged considerably since when it was new. You dont really notice until its sitting next to a new one.. could worn out springs cause this?

Thoughts? Thanks.
Last edited by grizzjeeper on Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

grizzjeeper

New member intro

Post by grizzjeeper » Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:34 pm

Good evening. 2016 Powerwagon owner from Maine.

Mods, Magnaflow muffler, res delete, 35" Mastercraft CTX, Diablo sport tuner and AFE filter.

Looking for direction on some suspension issues.

grizzjeeper

New Member Side to side oscillation / sway

Post by grizzjeeper » Sat Sep 19, 2020 12:41 pm

2016 Power wagon, 77k miles. At about 60 thousand I noticed the side to side sway when trailering was getting worse, ironically the heavier the trailer the better the sway got but I digress.

At about 65k I started noticing the side to side sway unladen, no trailer, felt like the shocks were not controlling the bounce. So I replaced them with Rancho 9000 rs. I figured having the adjustability would be nice. Well i now have them cranked up to full firm and I no difference... so.. Brought it to the dealer, i got the typical we could not replicate the problem must be your tires... and everything is tight underneath nothing wrong..

So, 1. either the new shocks are not up to the task (Seems unlikely considering the price point and adjustability) or 2 something else is the culprit. I have noticed my springs have sagged considerably since when it was new. You dont really notice until its sitting next to a new one.. could worn out springs cause this?

Thoughts? Thanks.
Last edited by grizzjeeper on Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mule
500_Posts
500_Posts

Re: Sway and oscillation

Post by Mule » Sun Sep 20, 2020 3:29 am

Sounds more like a trailer loading issue to me.
What's the tongue weight of the trailer? How many axles? Gross weight? Trailer level when hitched? Dynamic load (Horses moving around in there)?

Too much weight to the back of the trailer, "tail wags the dog" and truck+trailer ends up in the ditch.
Too much weight to the front of the trailer is less likely to cause an accident but can also do fucky things to the truck's handling.

grizzjeeper

Post by grizzjeeper » Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:35 am

To clarify, this has nothing to do with a trailer. No trailer, unloaded this is an issue.

PWJouster
250_Posts
250_Posts
Model Year: 2018

Post by PWJouster » Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:36 am

You know, my 18 with 36k miles has alot of sway...but i find it self induced, or needing to be induced by other roadwork/steering wheel response...

I have posted this prior and best part is, you can have somewhat an idea that it may not be springs or shocks. or maybe even track bars...

i have every Thuren part possible including 3inch remote res kings up front and both trackbars.
axles are aligned but in all honesty, my toe and caster may not be.

I KNOW my tires need to be rotated and are eating the outside treads on all corners. I KNOW i have not checked my alignment recently.
2018 Powerwagon-6.4 Hemi
Nanny kill switch and Locker Bypasses
Thuren Tuned King 3.0 & 2.5 Pintop Stage 3/2
17 Method NV-Toyo RT 37
Evo On-Demand Air Swaybar Disconnect
S&B Intake-Mufflex-Magnaflow/resonator delete
SPOD Bantam
On-Board air ARB CKMTA12
Baja design and Rigid Industries
Purple Cranium Spider dif guards
Pedal Commander

PWJouster
250_Posts
250_Posts
Model Year: 2018

Post by PWJouster » Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:37 am

i never wanted to assume tire pressures or alignment may be the issue
2018 Powerwagon-6.4 Hemi
Nanny kill switch and Locker Bypasses
Thuren Tuned King 3.0 & 2.5 Pintop Stage 3/2
17 Method NV-Toyo RT 37
Evo On-Demand Air Swaybar Disconnect
S&B Intake-Mufflex-Magnaflow/resonator delete
SPOD Bantam
On-Board air ARB CKMTA12
Baja design and Rigid Industries
Purple Cranium Spider dif guards
Pedal Commander

grizzjeeper

Post by grizzjeeper » Fri Sep 25, 2020 1:58 pm

Tire pressure and alignment are fine. I am wondering if the springs since they have sagged are the major factor here. Seems odd when springs are loaded heavy, its less of an issue. Example if hauling a heavy trailer with heavy tongue weight its almost non existent. Empty its the worse on uneven back roads. So strange.

SeppW
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by SeppW » Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:12 pm

If towing heavy need to run a WDH unless you're bagged. Are you still running the OE track bars? Tire pressures?

RustyPW
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2008

Post by RustyPW » Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:16 pm

I installed a new set of 35" Toyo MT's back in June. Ever since, my PW feels squirrelly. The lower the air pressure, the better they feel to a point.
PWOC #53
2008 POWER WAGON RC

My build thread. http://forum.powerwagonregistry.org/vie ... =13&t=2826 :cash: :cash:

Moab '09, '10, '12, '14.
Rausch Creek - Summer '10, Spring-Fall '11, Spring '12, Summer '13, Summer '14, Summer '15, Summer '16, Summer '17, Summer '18, Summer '20, Summer '22,
AOAA Summer '19.

Russ
NRA - Benefactor, Golden Eagle. :lockedandloaded: