2005 Power Wagon hand me down or keep it as my own?

If it's about Power Wagons, all generations, this is where it'll go. This is the original PWR Forum Power Wagon Technical Discussion Section. And this includes everything that doesn’t fit in any one of the other categories related to the truck goes here!
Powagone

2005 Power Wagon hand me down or keep it as my own?

Post by Powagone » Mon Nov 21, 2022 6:28 pm

Hi all, been a while since I've been on here. The ole 05 is still going strong with about 180k on her. She is starting to get a little grey sunburn on the hood and cab (kind of like me LOL)Anyhow, I am thinking about handing the keys over to my son who will be getting his drivers license in about 18 months. Kind of like letting it go but not totally letting go? I already know all the ins and outs of it so it would be more reliable in my mind to have as a first truck than some other beater that I know nothing about showing up in my driveway. Honestly, I am thinking about going to the 2500 Heavy Duty 4X4 Off Road Cummins Package for my next truck. :run: Just throwing this out to the mob to see if you all would either talk me down off the ledge or tell me to jump. :cheers:
2005 Black Pow Wagon mods: DT Profab Steering Brace, Gibson superflow catback single exhaust system, Locker Bypass, Moog ball joints (see how long they last), New OEM track bar bushings, T-steering upgrade w/ Bilstein 5100 steering damper, Power everything, Heated leather seats, (keeps the better half happy), Rear window defrost, Bilstein 5100 shocks, 35x12.5x17 Falken Wildpeak MT's, Customized H2 alloy wheels, Original rock rails with family friendly steps welded on, Tri fold tonneau, Hi-lift extreme jack, Tool box along with all the essential PW gear. New winch cable, Winch TPS bypass, Cardan joint grease zerk discovery. New front grille assembly. Magnesium Chloride under coating.

If you ever happen to see me running somewhere, you should start running too. :)

KevinABQ
250_Posts
250_Posts
Model Year: 2018

Re: 2005 Power Wagon hand me down or keep it as my own?

Post by KevinABQ » Tue Nov 22, 2022 2:34 am

Well, if someone is going to have an accident a 2500 is a pretty decent vehicle to be in. On the other hand, it’s a big vehicle that offers opportunity to bang into things because you don’t quite get how wide or long it is.
2018 White Rambox, Diamondback HD bed cover, White Knuckle sliders, Carli and Purple Cranium diff guards, masterpull 11mm superline, 37 Toyo MT.

Mule007
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by Mule007 » Tue Nov 22, 2022 12:02 pm

My $.02: Your points about knowing a vehicle are spot on; they are definitely a "niche", vs. production model so parts availability may be an issue going forward; their size, as noted by KevinABQ is definitely a consideration (think parking; overhead pg clearances) & on road awareness; they are not known for fuel efficiency; there would not be additional cost for another rig with unknown maintenance and repair issues. Will most of the driving be on pavement or combination of on-off road? Most Owners I know bouught their PW's for their off road capabilities. If you sell or trade it in you may not get what you know it is worth in this market,,,,,Good luck with your decision. I know a 16-17 year old would probably be very excited if they do not spend most of their time in a city or town,,,,probably even if they do :popcorn:
:patriot:2005 Mineral Grey; QC- #0666: "Laramie", power heated Leather seats, tow mirrors, dual zones, Alpine 9 speaker surround sound, steering wheel cruise control, music & volume controls; remote start, 6 CD player, AC; dark charcoal silver interior.
Additions: Frame mounted .188 DOM 3" steel rock rails, low profile steps;1.5” Skyjacker leveling kit; Bully Dog GT Platinum A-pillar mount programmable performance chip, monitor,& tuner; Linex Platinum OTR HD bed & rock panel coating; Red Ryder matching cab high fiberglass canopy; 2” Linex brush guard w/4-4” Halogen off road lights; Hopkins Trailer Mate brake controller; Bearcat Pro 68XL CB; Mopar black fender flares; PW winch accessory kit/remote control.
Tools: hand tools, 60” Extreme High Lift; rigging; straps; shackles; F&R chains; (2ea) rear wheel well NATO 20 L narrow gas cans & 5# extinguishers
Updates: Jasper Remfgr’d 5.7 Hemi Engine; Open Range AT 35x12.5 x17 MP3 10 ply E tires; Moog HD U/L front axle ball joints & wheel bearings; new link, sway, y bar & bushing assemblies; fuel pump; A/C exhaust fan & compressor;1 ton HEMI transmission cooler; OEM radiator; front pinion seal & bearing; Denso 180-amp alternator; Megatron 850 CCA HD battery; water pump, serpentine belt, Bilstein 2 5100 shocks/HD steering damper; F&R locker assembly & sensors/u joints; 3" Magna flow cat back rear exit dual exhausts; Performance Brake/slotted rotor/caliper/pads

flattire
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by flattire » Tue Nov 22, 2022 11:10 pm

I wouldn't give my truck to a first- time driver. (99% chance of a wreck in first 3 months). Beater for sure is better.

I have a 2005 also. Was wondering what they are worth on trade in?
Problem is every time I drive it I want to keep it.

Powagone

Post by Powagone » Wed Nov 23, 2022 1:32 pm

Thanks for the feedback! I think the fact that my son has seen how much TLC I have put into it, he would be driving around on pins and needles making sure nothing happened to it which gives me a bit of peace of mind that he wouldn't trash it right away. On the other hand, like you all implied, it may be too much truck for a first driver. As far as gas mileage, that might be a good thing! Like the saying goes "you can't go too far with a Mopar!" LOL Unfortunately, I may have already planted the seed. He has already driven it a bunch of times on dirt roads and has fallen in love with it. Dreaming about all his bros drooling on it when he pulls into the High School parking lot for the first time and the chick magnet that it will be. :drool: :cheers:
2005 Black Pow Wagon mods: DT Profab Steering Brace, Gibson superflow catback single exhaust system, Locker Bypass, Moog ball joints (see how long they last), New OEM track bar bushings, T-steering upgrade w/ Bilstein 5100 steering damper, Power everything, Heated leather seats, (keeps the better half happy), Rear window defrost, Bilstein 5100 shocks, 35x12.5x17 Falken Wildpeak MT's, Customized H2 alloy wheels, Original rock rails with family friendly steps welded on, Tri fold tonneau, Hi-lift extreme jack, Tool box along with all the essential PW gear. New winch cable, Winch TPS bypass, Cardan joint grease zerk discovery. New front grille assembly. Magnesium Chloride under coating.

If you ever happen to see me running somewhere, you should start running too. :)

RustyPW
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2008

Post by RustyPW » Wed Nov 23, 2022 8:16 pm

I taught my daughter to drive using my '99 Ram 1500 regular cab/short bed 4x4 with a 4" lift and 37" tires. She loved driving that thing. She had to beat the boys off of her when she would take the truck to school. :lol: Her girl friends loved that truck too. She put more miles on it than me until I got her. Her own car.
PWOC #53
2008 POWER WAGON RC

My build thread. http://forum.powerwagonregistry.org/vie ... =13&t=2826 :cash: :cash:

Moab '09, '10, '12, '14.
Rausch Creek - Summer '10, Spring-Fall '11, Spring '12, Summer '13, Summer '14, Summer '15, Summer '16, Summer '17, Summer '18, Summer '20, Summer '22,
AOAA Summer '19.

Russ
NRA - Benefactor, Golden Eagle. :lockedandloaded:

Powagone

Post by Powagone » Wed Nov 23, 2022 9:46 pm

RustyPW wrote:
Wed Nov 23, 2022 8:16 pm
I taught my daughter to drive using my '99 Ram 1500 regular cab/short bed 4x4 with a 4" lift and 37" tires. She loved driving that thing. She had to beat the boys off of her when she would take the truck to school. :lol: Her girl friends loved that truck too. She put more miles on it than me until I got her. Her own car.
Heck ya! I like to think of it as generational knowledge. Keep him from wanting to get a Prius. Lol. He really wants a Dodge Challenger but I keep telling him. Good luck in the snow! The PW has done me right for several years. Why not let it do him right for a while also.

flattire
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by flattire » Wed Nov 23, 2022 10:28 pm

Never thought of my truck as a "chick magnet".......but then I am 75 years old. :excited:

May test it out at some high schools near me. :idea:

Mule007
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by Mule007 » Fri Nov 25, 2022 5:08 pm

:rofl: that is funny flattire,,,74 here,,,seriously though Powagone,,,IMHO, sounds like you’ve made a good reasoned choice,,,,
:patriot:2005 Mineral Grey; QC- #0666: "Laramie", power heated Leather seats, tow mirrors, dual zones, Alpine 9 speaker surround sound, steering wheel cruise control, music & volume controls; remote start, 6 CD player, AC; dark charcoal silver interior.
Additions: Frame mounted .188 DOM 3" steel rock rails, low profile steps;1.5” Skyjacker leveling kit; Bully Dog GT Platinum A-pillar mount programmable performance chip, monitor,& tuner; Linex Platinum OTR HD bed & rock panel coating; Red Ryder matching cab high fiberglass canopy; 2” Linex brush guard w/4-4” Halogen off road lights; Hopkins Trailer Mate brake controller; Bearcat Pro 68XL CB; Mopar black fender flares; PW winch accessory kit/remote control.
Tools: hand tools, 60” Extreme High Lift; rigging; straps; shackles; F&R chains; (2ea) rear wheel well NATO 20 L narrow gas cans & 5# extinguishers
Updates: Jasper Remfgr’d 5.7 Hemi Engine; Open Range AT 35x12.5 x17 MP3 10 ply E tires; Moog HD U/L front axle ball joints & wheel bearings; new link, sway, y bar & bushing assemblies; fuel pump; A/C exhaust fan & compressor;1 ton HEMI transmission cooler; OEM radiator; front pinion seal & bearing; Denso 180-amp alternator; Megatron 850 CCA HD battery; water pump, serpentine belt, Bilstein 2 5100 shocks/HD steering damper; F&R locker assembly & sensors/u joints; 3" Magna flow cat back rear exit dual exhausts; Performance Brake/slotted rotor/caliper/pads

flattire
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by flattire » Sat Nov 26, 2022 9:55 am

I notice 2 people have 2005's with 35x12.5/17 tires on them. What mods were needed to fit these?

Current tires are stock size 33" but 7-8 years old..... time for change.

Single cab #992.

Mule007
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by Mule007 » Sat Nov 26, 2022 11:07 am

Don’t want to hi-jack OP’s thread. No mods required for a 2005 35’s. I run AT’s so not certain on MT’s. Spare fits under bed. No rubbing. Believe rubbing problems were w Gen 4 & if you go to 37’s. Good threads in Brakes, Tires,,,,for more info.

RustyPW
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by RustyPW » Sat Nov 26, 2022 4:55 pm

flattire wrote:
Sat Nov 26, 2022 9:55 am
I notice 2 people have 2005's with 35x12.5/17 tires on them. What mods were needed to fit these?

Current tires are stock size 33" but 7-8 years old..... time for change.

Single cab #992.
No mods needs to be done. Just slap them 35"s on. Fireresecue (Mike) and Va Man (Peter) been running 35's for years on their 05's. I've ran 35's on my '08 forever. To run 37's on a 3G. Need Thuren springs in the front and his shackles in the rear. Plus you have to move the rear axle back about 1.5". Believe there is a kit for that now. Mike did it on his 3G and John did it on his 4G.
PWOC #53
2008 POWER WAGON RC

My build thread. http://forum.powerwagonregistry.org/vie ... =13&t=2826 :cash: :cash:

Moab '09, '10, '12, '14.
Rausch Creek - Summer '10, Spring-Fall '11, Spring '12, Summer '13, Summer '14, Summer '15, Summer '16, Summer '17, Summer '18, Summer '20, Summer '22,
AOAA Summer '19.

Russ

Powagone

Post by Powagone » Mon Nov 28, 2022 8:51 pm

Mule007 wrote:
Sat Nov 26, 2022 11:07 am
Don’t want to hi-jack OP’s thread. No mods required for a 2005 35’s. I run AT’s so not certain on MT’s. Spare fits under bed. No rubbing. Believe rubbing problems were w Gen 4 & if you go to 37’s. Good threads in Brakes, Tires,,,,for more info.
No worries. I just got Falken Wildpeak MT's 35's my favorite tire yet! No mods other than I trimmed the bottom rear of the front fender flares a long time ago to prevent rub at full turn with Mickey Thompsons I had 3 sets of tires ago. No control arm rub with the Falkens either.

flattire
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by flattire » Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:53 pm

Thanks for info.

Plead guilty to hijack. "won't do it again".....maybe. :lol:

Mule007
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by Mule007 » Tue Nov 29, 2022 8:48 am

:cheers: No problem here,,,

JRHPWRWAGON06
Model Year: 2006

Post by JRHPWRWAGON06 » Tue Feb 14, 2023 9:44 pm

I couldn't fit MT 35's as a spare when I tried it. Didn't fit between frame rails.
2006 White Power Wagon QuadCab
OPTIONS-
545RFE, NAV Sys. w/ 6-CD Sat. Radio, Light Group, Rear Sliding Window,
Heated Tow Mirrors, Leather-Wrapped Steering Wheel,
Steering Wheel Mounted Audio Controls, Power Adjustable pedals.
MODS-
Lifetime Sirius SAT Radio, 33X12.5R17 Firestone M/T2's on Original Power Wagon wheels,
Line-X bedliner, Mopar Rock Rails w/CARR side steps, Gibson Dual Exhaust,
Dynatrac manual locking hub conversion w/DynaLoc hubs.
Abel Locker+SmartBar Bypass, Deflecta-Shield 60" Low Profile Toolbox,
Mopar: Winch Accy Kit, Wheel well liners, Mudflaps, Engine block heater, spare tire winch lock, alarm system.

RustyPW
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by RustyPW » Thu Feb 16, 2023 7:50 pm

JRHPWRWAGON06 wrote:
Tue Feb 14, 2023 9:44 pm
I couldn't fit MT 35's as a spare when I tried it. Didn't fit between frame rails.
35" Toyo MT fit as a spare under my PW.
PWOC #53
2008 POWER WAGON RC

Moab '09, '10, '12, '14.
AOAA Summer '19.

Russ

JRHPWRWAGON06
Model Year: 2006

Post by JRHPWRWAGON06 » Thu Feb 23, 2023 10:57 pm

Must have been due to my dual exhaust setup. Memory is foggy.
2006 White Power Wagon QuadCab
OPTIONS-
545RFE, NAV Sys. w/ 6-CD Sat. Radio, Light Group, Rear Sliding Window,
Heated Tow Mirrors, Leather-Wrapped Steering Wheel,
Steering Wheel Mounted Audio Controls, Power Adjustable pedals.
MODS-
Lifetime Sirius SAT Radio, 33X12.5R17 Firestone M/T2's on Original Power Wagon wheels,
Line-X bedliner, Mopar Rock Rails w/CARR side steps, Gibson Dual Exhaust,
Dynatrac manual locking hub conversion w/DynaLoc hubs.
Abel Locker+SmartBar Bypass, Deflecta-Shield 60" Low Profile Toolbox,
Mopar: Winch Accy Kit, Wheel well liners, Mudflaps, Engine block heater, spare tire winch lock, alarm system.

Sierra1boy

Post by Sierra1boy » Tue Dec 05, 2023 9:34 pm

Just curious if his kid got to PW or not