Swaybar disconnect killing battery?

If it's about Power Wagons, all generations, this is where it'll go. This is the original PWR Forum Power Wagon Technical Discussion Section. And this includes everything that doesn’t fit in any one of the other categories related to the truck goes here!
POk3s
Model Year: 2017

Swaybar disconnect killing battery?

Post by POk3s » Fri Sep 17, 2021 12:38 pm

Have a buddy with a 2011 PW who is dealing with his battery draining. He says he can hear and feal a ticking in his swaybar and thinks that’s what’s causing the battery to die if’s not used regularly. He said he pulled the swaybar 30 amp fuse and the ticking is still there. Also swaybar will not disengage. Is there another fuse he should pull until he can get the swaybar issue resolved? Basically just looking to keep from having a dead battery after not using his truck for a few days and is at a loss.

SimonandSimonBeast
250_Posts
250_Posts
Model Year: 2013

Re: Swaybar disconnect killing battery?

Post by SimonandSimonBeast » Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:37 pm

POk3s wrote:Have a buddy with a 2011 PW who is dealing with his battery draining. He says he can hear and feal a ticking in his swaybar and thinks that’s what’s causing the battery to die if’s not used regularly. He said he pulled the swaybar 30 amp fuse and the ticking is still there. Also swaybar will not disengage. Is there another fuse he should pull until he can get the swaybar issue resolved? Basically just looking to keep from having a dead battery after not using his truck for a few days and is at a loss.
Maybe just disconnect the large connector to the smart bar module. Might have moisture in there causing a short. That's how my module fried.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

:rockon: :chug:

SimonandSimonBeast
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by SimonandSimonBeast » Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:43 pm

SimonandSimonBeast wrote:
POk3s wrote:Have a buddy with a 2011 PW who is dealing with his battery draining. He says he can hear and feal a ticking in his swaybar and thinks that’s what’s causing the battery to die if’s not used regularly. He said he pulled the swaybar 30 amp fuse and the ticking is still there. Also swaybar will not disengage. Is there another fuse he should pull until he can get the swaybar issue resolved? Basically just looking to keep from having a dead battery after not using his truck for a few days and is at a loss.
Maybe just disconnect the large connector to the smart bar module. Might have moisture in there causing a short. That's how my module fried.

Here's my module fully removed. You can see where it got fried. Remove the connector that attaches to this. My system is fully bypassed with Abel Components System now. So, now my OE module is a paperweight.ImageImage

POk3s
Model Year: 2017

Post by POk3s » Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:41 pm

Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:43 pm

Here's my module fully removed. You can see where it got fried. Remove the connector that attaches to this. My system is fully bypassed with Abel Components System now. So, now my OE module is a paperweight.ImageImage

Thank you Simon! Was yours clicking like mentioned above?

SimonandSimonBeast
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by SimonandSimonBeast » Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:03 pm

POk3s wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:43 pm

Thank you Simon! Was yours clicking like mentioned above?
Mine started intermittently turning on the front locker when I was driving down the road. I suppose it depends on what pins are shorting. I know someone else that reported intermittent sway bar activation.

Ducky's Dad
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by Ducky's Dad » Thu Sep 23, 2021 2:29 pm

This is old news, but my 2005 has been suffering from dead batteries for years and there is no apparent cause. Parasitic drain is within spec every time we check it. If the truck sits for more than a couple of weeks, the battery drops below 11V. New battery, old battery, makes no difference. Batteries have been Odyssey and V-Max G31 AGMs, with a 270amp alternator and fat cables. Finally had to install a Blue Sea Systems rotary kill switch to disconnect battery when truck is parked. Not an ideal solution, but it works. My swaybar disconnect does not get used much, but it works OK.