Discontinued rear differential

If it's about Power Wagons, all generations, this is where it'll go. This is the original PWR Forum Power Wagon Technical Discussion Section. And this includes everything that doesn’t fit in any one of the other categories related to the truck goes here!
Bluchalk
50_Posts
50_Posts
Model Year: 2012

Discontinued rear differential

Post by Bluchalk » Mon Aug 23, 2021 8:50 am

Lockers won’t lock, took it to the stealer to diagnose. Started with locker actuator is bad. Paid to to replace that (for the second time). Replaced the actuator and still wouldn’t lock. Tech said the differential is bad. Ordered a new of those. Part comes in wrong one in the box. Ordered another one, it showed up damaged. Evidently it was the last one in the US, as the differentials have been discontinued. Part #5175301AB can’t find one anywhere. Anyone have a work around idea? F’n truck isn’t even 10 years old yet.
Thuren control arms,Thuren 3" diesel coils,Thuren track bar, Thuren (Fox) steering stabilizer
Synergy 1" rear lift shackles, Fox 2.0 shocks
DT Pro Fab sway bar end links
Load lifter 5000 ultimate air bags with wireless remote. Daystar air bag cradles
Rugged Ridge floor mats
AMP bed step
KC Highlites bar, 32" Opt7 C2 led light bar
37" Toyo RT's

SimonandSimonBeast
250_Posts
250_Posts
Model Year: 2013

Re: Discontinued rear differential

Post by SimonandSimonBeast » Mon Aug 23, 2021 2:24 pm

Have you tried MoparPartsGiant.com? Not showing out of stock when I pull it up on there.

Are you sure it is the locker and not the wiring our electrical connections upstream, or even the smartbar module?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

:rockon: :chug:

Bluchalk
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by Bluchalk » Mon Aug 23, 2021 2:27 pm

Their site is wrong. I order it from them since says available. I was refunded my money in 12 hours.
Thuren control arms,Thuren 3" diesel coils,Thuren track bar, Thuren (Fox) steering stabilizer
Load lifter 5000 ultimate air bags with wireless remote. Daystar air bag cradles
Rugged Ridge floor mats
AMP bed step
37" Toyo RT's

TommyG
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by TommyG » Mon Aug 23, 2021 3:30 pm

Try an Abel bypass to make sure it is actually the diff maybe? If it is toast would the housing accept a non-Power Wagon diff built with an Arb or Eaton or something?

Following as my truck is the same year as yours.
2012 Power Wagon
White Knuckle Sliders, myoung locker bypass, Thuren Track Bar, Thuren Control Arms, Toyo Open Country RT 37x12.50, Method Race Wheels

Retired BLM Rig
1000_Posts
1000_Posts
Model Year: 2008

Post by Retired BLM Rig » Thu Aug 26, 2021 3:38 am

Try searching for AAM #40047275. I have a test harness I can send you, just plug it into the locker and then connect it to any 12V battery to determine if the actuator or differential are actually faulty. PM me your mailing address and I'll mail it out. Just return it when you're done, so it's ready for the next guy.

You can also email me at: abelcomponents@yahoo.com

TommyG
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by TommyG » Thu Aug 26, 2021 8:07 am

Retired BLM Rig wrote:
Thu Aug 26, 2021 3:38 am
Try searching for AAM #40047275. I have a test harness I can send you, just plug it into the locker and then connect it to any 12V battery to determine if the actuator or differential are actually faulty. PM me your mailing address and I'll mail it out. Just return it when you're done, so it's ready for the next guy.

You can also email me at: abelcomponents@yahoo.com
BLM Rig This is very cool of you.

Bluechalk I would take him up on this. Dealerships are notoriously ignorant of Wagons. It would not be surprising to find out they incorrectly diagnosed the issue.
2012 Power Wagon
White Knuckle Sliders, myoung locker bypass, Thuren Track Bar, Thuren Control Arms, Toyo Open Country RT 37x12.50, Method Race Wheels

Bluchalk
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by Bluchalk » Wed Sep 01, 2021 6:36 pm

The actuator is brand new. Second one. Tech who worked on seamed to at least sound like he knows what he’s talking about. It’s the second actuator I’ve had put in 3 years. He said he thinks differential was bad and he thought it is what cause the actuator’s fail both times.
Rugged Ridge floor mats
AMP bed step
37" Toyo RT's

Retired BLM Rig
1000_Posts
1000_Posts
Model Year: 2008

Post by Retired BLM Rig » Thu Sep 02, 2021 12:43 am

Bluchalk wrote:
Wed Sep 01, 2021 6:36 pm
The actuator is brand new. Second one. Tech who worked on seamed to at least sound like he knows what he’s talking about. It’s the second actuator I’ve had put in 3 years. He said he thinks differential was bad and he thought it is what cause the actuator’s fail both times.
Jack up your rear axle, spin your tires by hand, apply power and ground to your locker connector, try to spin the tires by hand again and you'll soon know whether or not your differential is bad.

locker_plug_connector copy.jpeg

Good luck! :patriot: