3rd Gen Winch Causing Parasitic Drain on Battery

If it's about Power Wagons, all generations, this is where it'll go. This is the original PWR Forum Power Wagon Technical Discussion Section. And this includes everything that doesn’t fit in any one of the other categories related to the truck goes here!
coder
1000_Posts
1000_Posts
Model Year: 2007

3rd Gen Winch Causing Parasitic Drain on Battery

Post by coder » Sat Jan 30, 2021 12:53 pm

PW Forum Note:

For the last year or more my wich has be doing a parasitic drain on my battery. At first I thought is was the battery so I replaced that, then the alternator so I replaced that, however persisted the drain continued about 30% of a full battery overnight. Finally I took it to a local shop and they were able isolate the drain to the winch.

I called Warn tech support and asked them about possible causes for the parasitic drain. They indicated that a bad solenoids, cross-wiring of the control pack to the solenoids or even plugging in the remote and leaving it there all night would not cause that much of a drain.

I am not an electrical guru by any means. I'm going to move the winch today check all the wiring positive and negative to the battery so possible grounding and double check the control pack to the solenoid setup. Do any of you guys have any thoughts/ideas and what else I might need to do to troubleshoot the issue?

The winch works, is in a relatively good and rust free condition since I live in SoCal.
Last edited by coder on Thu Feb 04, 2021 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vehicle: 2007 Power Wagon Quad Cab - Factory Options (Inferno Red, Premium Cloth Bench Seat, Light Group, Automatic Transmission, Leather Steering Wheel)
Suspension: Carli 3" Hemi Coils, Carli Control Arms, Carli King 2.5 Pin-Tops, Carli Stainless Steering Stabilizer, Carli Trackbar | Synergy 1" Rear Shackle
Performance: Magnaflow Muffler | Magnaflow Y-Pipe
Wheels/Tires: Yokohama X-A/T 35x12.5x17
Steering/Drivetrain/Axles: Carli Front Diff Guard | Dynatrac Ball Joints | Mopar HD Steering Gear
Miscellaneous: Line-X Bedliner | Locker Bypass Switch | Mopar Rock Rails | Odyssey Extreme 65-PC1750T | Performance Friction Brake Pads | Weathertech Digital Fit Mats | Winch Thermal Protection Bypass

Bill2014
1000_Posts
1000_Posts
Model Year: 2014

Re: 3rd Gen Winch Causing Parasitic Drain on Battery

Post by Bill2014 » Sat Jan 30, 2021 5:39 pm

After the truck has been sitting off for a few hours, see if the winch solenoid is slightly warmer than everything around it. The hand held infrared thermomitors are great for this but your hand may feel the difference if it is draining your battery that fast.
:rockon:
2014 Power Wagon Laramie
Titan V5 2.5" Receiver Pintle Hook
Warn wireless winch controller
.188" DOM White Knuckle Rock Sliders
Locker Bypass & Nanny Kill Switch

Moab 2006

RustyPW
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2008

Post by RustyPW » Sun Jan 31, 2021 12:44 am

Retired BLM Rig wrote:
Sun Jan 31, 2021 12:27 am
In your signature it says that you have the winch thermal protection bypass, does it make any difference if that is removed and returned to stock?
Mind has been bypassed for about 10 yrs. No issues like that.
PWOC #53
2008 POWER WAGON RC

My build thread. http://forum.powerwagonregistry.org/vie ... =13&t=2826 :cash: :cash:

Moab '09, '10, '12, '14.
Rausch Creek - Summer '10, Spring-Fall '11, Spring '12, Summer '13, Summer '14, Summer '15, Summer '16, Summer '17, Summer '18, Summer '20, Summer '22,
AOAA Summer '19.

Russ
NRA - Benefactor, Golden Eagle. :lockedandloaded:

Ducky's Dad
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by Ducky's Dad » Sun Jan 31, 2021 6:28 pm

My 3G has had a mysterious parasitic drain problem for years, but when I or a professional tests for drain, it is always within spec at about 25-35 ma. Never tested the winch because it didn't seem necessary. "Solved" the problem by installing a giant Blue Sea Systems disconnect under the hood. Kind of a PITA, but I only have to use it when the truck is parked for more than a few days.

Ducky's Dad
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by Ducky's Dad » Sun Jan 31, 2021 6:29 pm

Deleted duplicate post.

Powagone

Post by Powagone » Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:43 pm

Did you ever get it figured out?
2005 Black Pow Wagon mods: DT Profab Steering Brace, Gibson superflow catback single exhaust system, Locker Bypass, Moog ball joints (see how long they last), New OEM track bar bushings, T-steering upgrade w/ Bilstein 5100 steering damper, Power everything, Heated leather seats, (keeps the better half happy), Rear window defrost, Bilstein 5100 shocks, 35x12.5x17 Falken Wildpeak MT's, Customized H2 alloy wheels, Original rock rails with family friendly steps welded on, Tri fold tonneau, Hi-lift extreme jack, Tool box along with all the essential PW gear. New winch cable, Winch TPS bypass, Cardan joint grease zerk discovery. New front grille assembly. Magnesium Chloride under coating.

If you ever happen to see me running somewhere, you should start running too. :)

coder
1000_Posts
1000_Posts
Model Year: 2007

Post by coder » Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:29 pm

I ended up taking my truck to another shop that specializes in auto electronics, I left it overnight, they ran a test for a parasitic drain and everything was within spec. I have been working from home and not driving much since COVID started, lots of very short trips and I think I just killed my battery. Been making longer drives (20-30 minutes) once or twice a week and everything seems to be working fine now.
Vehicle: 2007 Power Wagon Quad Cab - Factory Options (Inferno Red, Premium Cloth Bench Seat, Light Group, Automatic Transmission, Leather Steering Wheel)
Suspension: Carli 3" Hemi Coils, Carli Control Arms, Carli King 2.5 Pin-Tops, Carli Stainless Steering Stabilizer, Carli Trackbar | Synergy 1" Rear Shackle
Performance: Magnaflow Muffler | Magnaflow Y-Pipe
Wheels/Tires: Yokohama X-A/T 35x12.5x17
Steering/Drivetrain/Axles: Carli Front Diff Guard | Dynatrac Ball Joints | Mopar HD Steering Gear
Miscellaneous: Line-X Bedliner | Locker Bypass Switch | Mopar Rock Rails | Odyssey Extreme 65-PC1750T | Performance Friction Brake Pads | Weathertech Digital Fit Mats | Winch Thermal Protection Bypass

Powagone

Post by Powagone » Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:33 pm

:cheers:
2005 Black Pow Wagon mods: DT Profab Steering Brace, Gibson superflow catback single exhaust system, Locker Bypass, Moog ball joints (see how long they last), New OEM track bar bushings, T-steering upgrade w/ Bilstein 5100 steering damper, Power everything, Heated leather seats, (keeps the better half happy), Rear window defrost, Bilstein 5100 shocks, 35x12.5x17 Falken Wildpeak MT's, Customized H2 alloy wheels, Original rock rails with family friendly steps welded on, Tri fold tonneau, Hi-lift extreme jack, Tool box along with all the essential PW gear. New winch cable, Winch TPS bypass, Cardan joint grease zerk discovery. New front grille assembly. Magnesium Chloride under coating.

If you ever happen to see me running somewhere, you should start running too. :)