Is there an exhaust fix

If it's about Power Wagons, all generations, this is where it'll go. This is the original PWR Forum Power Wagon Technical Discussion Section. And this includes everything that doesn’t fit in any one of the other categories related to the truck goes here!
Pdragon22
Model Year: 2013

Is there an exhaust fix

Post by Pdragon22 » Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:51 am

Is there a “permanent “ exhaust manifold/bolt fix. My 2013 has at least 2 broken studs and a cracked manifold on the right side.
I can’t find a good answer for a real fix.
I hear headers fix it and then hear most headers don’t fit.
I hear stainless bolts, but if they break you are really screwed.
Has anyone actually done something that worked long term.
Thanks Mark

SimonandSimonBeast
250_Posts
250_Posts

Re: Is there an exhaust fix

Post by SimonandSimonBeast » Sat Jan 30, 2021 1:11 pm

Did you ever get a solution to this? I have a '13 PW and at least 1bolt on the manifold is broken, giving me some pitter patter on cold start up. My shop says it is a good time to upgrade to headers if I wanted to fix it. I am also looking for headers and bolt improvements.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

:rockon: :chug:

TommyG
250_Posts
250_Posts
Model Year: 2012

Post by TommyG » Sat Jan 30, 2021 3:31 pm

This is on my to do list for my 2012 also. The recommendation I have seen/heard the most is American Racing Long Tube Headers with some good fasteners.

I have been tempted to just try a set of JBA shorty headers but have heard mixed results.

Search Headers up at the top. There have been a number of discussions here about them over the years.
2012 Power Wagon
White Knuckle Sliders, myoung locker bypass, Thuren Track Bar, Thuren Control Arms, Toyo Open Country RT 37x12.50, Method Race Wheels

Retired BLM Rig
1000_Posts
1000_Posts
Model Year: 2008

Post by Retired BLM Rig » Sun Jan 31, 2021 1:09 am

A warped manifold is what causes broken bolts, check the flatness with a straightedge, I've seen them out by as much as 1/4". The warpage causes extra strain on the end bolts until they pop. Don't just replace the broken bolt, have a machine shop surface it flat again and you'll get longer service life. :secret:

ScubaSteve
50_Posts
50_Posts
Model Year: 2016

Post by ScubaSteve » Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:47 am

Long tube headers from ARH is what I did with my 6.4. Didn't break the manifold bolts, though I don't think its as prevalent a problem with the 6.4 as it is the 5.7.

The headers will resolve the broken bolt issue, but it does come at the cost of more noise under the truck. The stock manifolds keep the engine very quiet unless you have a leak, but with headers it almost sounds like you always have a leak, because the thinner material doesn't dampen valve noise and exhaust pulses as well...also its a bit harder to keep them sealed up depending on what you get. My ARH headers with a ball and socket collector seem to seal fine at that point, but the slip fittings tend to leak a little bit until hot or you way over tighten the clamps.

Overall, headers are worth it for the performance gains alone. The stock manifolds really screw up the great flow characteristics these Hemi's heads have.

Mule
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by Mule » Sat Feb 06, 2021 1:38 am

Make sure it's flat?
I snapped a few before the shop put a straight edge on it... turns out the headers were warped.
Had those decked at the machine shop, and haven't snapped one since.
This is on my '05.

Colibri
1000_Posts
1000_Posts
Model Year: 2009

Post by Colibri » Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:35 pm

Stage8 has a locking fastener kit for the exhaust manifolds that is really well engineered and made.
https://www.stage8.com/product/8916-dod ... -bolt-kit/

Never tried it with a stock manifold, but fantastic with headers
Central Texas and Houston area
2009 5.7 auto quadcab
Carli 3” coils deaver leafs 3” kings with 4 tube bypass rear and fr/rr hydro bumps
Howe steering pump and gear with hydraulic ram assist
Custom tube bumpers and white knuckle sliders
Creative fab trussed axle. rem polished and cryoed 5.13 gears with arb lockers fr/rr
Sharadon stage 2 545rfe with 3000 stall edge converter
Lots of other stuff lol

SimonandSimonBeast
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by SimonandSimonBeast » Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:29 pm

Do you know if this is a bolt up option for the '13 5.7, without and other modification to the exhaust system? And wrap or not wrap them? This is an area of concern I have little experience with, so any help is appreciated.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

:rockon: :chug: