Thinking underneath the box, winch mount idea????

If it's about Power Wagons, all generations, this is where it'll go. This is the original PWR Forum Power Wagon Technical Discussion Section. And this includes everything that doesn’t fit in any one of the other categories related to the truck goes here!
RAM4ROKS
500_Posts
500_Posts

Thinking underneath the box, winch mount idea????

Post by RAM4ROKS » Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:02 pm

So.... as per usual, I have to take a simple idea and make it super complicated! :doh:

I want to run a super high clearance rear bumper but I also want to run a rear winch and still retain a hitch. Every design I have come up with thus far has ended in pick any two: High clearance, Winch, or Hitch. Winch and high clearance is easy, Hitch and high clearance is easy, Winch and Hitch are easy but hang down low.

So, what about running a mid mounted winch, making a plate mount above the rear frame rails, in the bed, in the unused space below my tool box? Then I can run the cable out through guides above the bed floor, through the tailgate, to a fairlead mounted to the top of a 4"x4" tube RV hitch that would be mounted via Thuren's rear bumper brackets. To facilitate this, I can build a raised bed floor under which I can mount my OBA setup, and my Pelican storage boxes. (basically make a flatbed hidden inside my bed) Of course I will have to cut the tailgate extensively to be able to pass the cable though it and to be able to open it with a fairlead there, that's no big deal though, as my tailgate is destroyed anyway. The only drawback would be my bed floor would be at the same height as the tops of my wheelwells, VERY shallow bed BUT, it would be perfectly flat so that's good I guess! :lol:

The other option would be to sink the winch mount below the bed floor so the cable routes under the bed but, I don't know if there is enough clearance between the frame crossmembers and the bed reinforcements to mount guides under the box???

The mounting idea would be similar to many military vehicle mounts, vector mounts, and the Foers Ibex mount. (with the exception that those mounting configurations typically allow for front and rear usage of that mid mount winch vs I would only be using the rear usage portion) From what I have read, as long as the last guide is centered and is a minimum of one meter from the winch drum, the cable should spool on perfectly layered every time, no matter what angle the cable is routed out the fairlead. Mid mount and rear mount (for front use) winch mounts are common on winch trials competition trucks so, I would imagine it must spool nicely!

Thoughts???????

Anybody have any experience with a similar setup????

Can our frames handle the forces from a mid mounted winch running cable out to a rear mounted fairlead????

:cheers:

jswider
50_Posts
50_Posts
Model Year: 2012

Re: Thinking underneath the box, winch mount idea????

Post by jswider » Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:31 pm

You can mount a winch between the frame rails where the spare tire goes. Mount the fair lead to the winch plate and have it come out where the licence plate would normally be. Lay the winch on its side for more clearance if it is a taller winch with an integrated solenoid. Can easily be fabbed up with some 1/4 inch plate then bolted or welded to the frame rails. So essentially you would be pulling cable from where the licence plate would normally be.

Or what I previously ran on my duramax was I built a portable cradle the winch sat in and just dropped it in my gooseneck hole in the bed and locked it in. Then I had some quick connects you hooked up to existing battery cables I had run to my toolbox. Took tailgate off when using it. Was awesome set up. Great for yanking stuff onto trailer or other random uses.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

OffroadTreks
Model Year: 2015

Post by OffroadTreks » Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:37 pm

DPP already did this. Just look at the Howitizer build. It's what you want.
2015 Power Wagon Laramie - "ROCKLANDER"
-------
[Build Thread] [Instagram] [Youtube]
------
Full-Size Off-Road Events & Overland Adventures

RAM4ROKS
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by RAM4ROKS » Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:18 pm

Dang, I see they built exactly what you've described but, I can't see where the winch cable actually routes out??? I see the winch skidplate, I see a Hawse fairlead, I see a hitch, and I see a high clearance bumper BUT, every shot of the winch mount is with it outside the truck on the ground or on a table, none show how the cable exits the rear of the truck.

OffroadTreks
Model Year: 2015

Post by OffroadTreks » Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:23 am

Oh, he was telling me, the plate flips down. When it's mounted. Flip down the plate, out comes your line. It's really slick. I need to get over to their shop and get some photos of it.
2015 Power Wagon Laramie - "ROCKLANDER"
-------
[Build Thread] [Instagram] [Youtube]
------
Full-Size Off-Road Events & Overland Adventures

FirerescuePW
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by FirerescuePW » Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:50 am

Can you access the clutch lever? That is pretty important.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
'05 Mineral Gray Power Wagon QC #1005

WINCH MOB PROUD!

SuperChips FlashPaq; DT ProFab Steering Brace; 08.5 Steering linkage (twice); Toyo Open Country M/T 35/12.50x17; Carli front diff guard; Rockcrusher rear diff cover; White Knuckle Offroad Rock Rails; Carli 3"coils, track bar, and High Clearance Control Arms; Carli King 2.5" Remote Resi Shocks; Reflex spray-in liner; Extang Trifecta tonneau cover; Pop Lock electric tailgate lock (OOS); Tekonsha Prodigy brake control; LEDS & Strobes & Siren; Winch TPS Bypass; Warn Wireless Remote; Dog hair, and a BIG Wish List!

Colibri
1000_Posts
1000_Posts
Model Year: 2009

Post by Colibri » Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:53 am

Ram4rocks I believe what you need to do is ditch the factory bed all together. You clearly have a pathological hatred of straight body panels lol :rofl: man if anyone was ever a candidate for an off-road oriented flat bed it's you. Build yourself a flatbed that has all the features you want and can be scraped along rocks with impunity. I've seen some really wicked chase truck and trail rig builds done that way. Integrate the winch and pelican cases and whatever else straight into the design so you're not trying to adapt factory sheet metal to hardcore use.
Central Texas and Houston area
2009 5.7 auto quadcab
Carli 3” coils deaver leafs 3” kings with 4 tube bypass rear and fr/rr hydro bumps
Howe steering pump and gear with hydraulic ram assist
Custom tube bumpers and white knuckle sliders
Creative fab trussed axle. rem polished and cryoed 5.13 gears with arb lockers fr/rr
Sharadon stage 2 545rfe with 3000 stall edge converter
Lots of other stuff lol

wisak
Model Year: 2016

Post by wisak » Thu Mar 09, 2023 12:26 pm

Where the spare tyre goes on the frame, you can attach a winch there. Place the fair lead where the licence plate would typically be mounted to the winch plate. If the winch has an incorporated solenoid and is taller, lay it on its side for extra clearance. It is simple to fabricate using 1/4 inch plate and attach it to the frame rails using bolts or welding. Hence, you would effectively be pulling cable from the location where the licence plate would normally be. Alternately, like I used to do with my Duramax, I constructed a mobile cradle for the winch, plopped it in my gooseneck hole in the bed sheet, and secured it in. Then I ran some existing battery cables to my toolbox and connected some quick connections to them. removed the tailgate when using it. was a fantastic setup. Excellent for pulling objects onto trailers or other impromptu usage.
Thank you.
I love birds

jeep_boy02
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by jeep_boy02 » Thu Mar 09, 2023 10:16 pm

Come on man. You join today and your first post is to a thread that's nearly 6 yrs dead...

need mods... too little time and money

2010 black pearl(PXR) on 35s, bypass harness, gooseneck, CAI, 3" magnaflow catback, bulldog hemi GT.... more to come soon