Good news/bad news

If it's about Power Wagons, all generations, this is where it'll go. This is the original PWR Forum Power Wagon Technical Discussion Section. And this includes everything that doesn’t fit in any one of the other categories related to the truck goes here!
Horseplay
Model Year: 2014

Re: Good news/bad news

Post by Horseplay » Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:30 am

Thanks guys, we're working it out. Oh, and that picture party will happen as soon as I figure out how to resize the photos. It is a real sharp truck.
Only driven to church on Sundays.

Limamikemike
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by Limamikemike » Sat Apr 04, 2015 2:59 am

Horseplay wrote:So I'm a little disappointed to say the least. Brought the truck in after owning it for less than 24 hours. The salesman, the mechanic and the service manager all had a turn with it. All said and done, now I have a hundred miles on the clock and during break in, you're not supposed to drive 65/70 mph which is where the vibration is most noticeable. They agreed there is a vibration. They checked the balance found one of the tires would not balance and replaced the tire with a new one.

I also noticed the driver's side corner was pushed in on the front bumper. I brought that to their attention and the service manager told me it was just misaligned. After having it realigned, I noticed the bumper still appeared bent. Service manager told me he will see if Chrysler will replace it, should hear back tomorrow.

Drove home, same vibration, coming from the same location. FML. I strongly suspect the vibration is the result of cheap OE tires. I'm considering the purchase of new ones but the principal of the mater is that I just spent 52k on this truck. Not happy.
I had the same vibration from new, I was able to make it go away by deflating my way over inflated back tires. The dealer had inflated them to 80 psi, I deflated to 50psi and be damned with the tpms warnings, all good now. I have no Idea why it went away but it did.

Food for thought: Google duratrac vibration. Seems like these tires can be hit and miss.
2015 Bright White Powerwagon Laramie, gone but not forgotten.

Horseplay

Post by Horseplay » Thu Apr 09, 2015 3:27 am

Limamikemike, good looking out. There are lots of people posting vibration complaints with these tires. Some of the Jeep forum guys end up replacing half the front end trying to chase the vibration. On the other hand, there are just as many people who think this tire is the best. I like the look of the tire and tried to find it in load range E. No luck. Back to the dealer for round two this morning. Hopefully a new set of tires will cure the problem. This and the other little issues have really sucked the fun out of a new truck.
Only driven to church on Sundays.

Jack187
50_Posts
50_Posts
Model Year: 2015

Post by Jack187 » Sun May 17, 2015 11:00 pm

Limamikemike wrote:
Horseplay wrote:So I'm a little disappointed to say the least. Brought the truck in after owning it for less than 24 hours. The salesman, the mechanic and the service manager all had a turn with it. All said and done, now I have a hundred miles on the clock and during break in, you're not supposed to drive 65/70 mph which is where the vibration is most noticeable. They agreed there is a vibration. They checked the balance found one of the tires would not balance and replaced the tire with a new one.

I also noticed the driver's side corner was pushed in on the front bumper. I brought that to their attention and the service manager told me it was just misaligned. After having it realigned, I noticed the bumper still appeared bent. Service manager told me he will see if Chrysler will replace it, should hear back tomorrow.

Drove home, same vibration, coming from the same location. FML. I strongly suspect the vibration is the result of cheap OE tires. I'm considering the purchase of new ones but the principal of the mater is that I just spent 52k on this truck. Not happy.
I had the same vibration from new, I was able to make it go away by deflating my way over inflated back tires. The dealer had inflated them to 80 psi, I deflated to 50psi and be damned with the tpms warnings, all good now. I have no Idea why it went away but it did.

Food for thought: Google duratrac vibration. Seems like these tires can be hit and miss.
Hi Everyone,

I'm new to this forum. I just placed my order a couple of weeks ago on a 2015 PW and it is being built now. I have been "catching up" on PW modding issues and came across this thread.
I have been a long time Duratrac user, and actually run the same tires as the stock 2015 PW (285/70/17 Duratrac) on my 2007 Grand Cherokee (automatic lockers front and rear and full time 4WD).

When I first went to the Duratrac, I was concerned because it had a vibration at roughly 65 mph. I read all of the posts about how bad the tires were on various boards, but I also read a bunch of posts praising the tires. I went back to Goodyear to have the tires re-balanced and the vibration was still there, although it was decreased to the point I decided to look further at my lift as the cause of the issue before making any rash decisions. I had assumed it was perhaps tied to the new 4" lift on the vehicle. The next time I went in for a re-balancing and rotation, I was shocked. They had a new guy working, who balanced all my tires (and looked like he was 17), and when I left, the vehicle drove smooth as butter. It has been that way ever since. I now have almost 40k miles on the tires and they look like they will hold out until 50k pretty easily.

I am highly suspect of human error now any time I hear about bad Duratracs. I have been exceptionally pleased with the tire. I live in Wisconsin, and needless to say, I do a lot of winter snow driving. I grew up in West Texas and did a lot of offroad driving back when I was younger. I can tell you these tires perform as well as any all terrain tire i have used in the last 30 years, and better on ice/snow than any i have used previously. Just my 2 cents for what it is worth.

Jack
2015 Tradesman (PW option), 37X12.50R17LT Cooper Discoverer STT Pro tires, AEV Katla 8.5" wheels