2009 PW - new to me

If it's about Power Wagons, all generations, this is where it'll go. This is the original PWR Forum Power Wagon Technical Discussion Section. And this includes everything that doesn’t fit in any one of the other categories related to the truck goes here!
wprecanico

2009 PW - new to me

Post by wprecanico » Thu Aug 04, 2022 5:22 pm

At the risk of repeating myself, there is a lot of good information out here. I've been reading for what seems to be hours now. Really cool stuff.

I've had my PW for a couple of weeks now. Going through it and taking are of some of the things the previous owner didn't. Tires, brakes, etc. I've been reading a ton of posts on the forum and have a couple of questions; I know what a nanny bypass is now, but I can't find a post on what the locker and smartbar bypasses do. I've read that the 2005-2009 have less nanny-ness but to what extent?

Final question. For this post!

I have a problem where the 4WD light is on while in 2WD. I put the truck in 4WD and I can't engage the smartbar. What I did find is that if in 2WD, I engage the smartbar, it does. That leads me to believe it's an electrical system, not a mechanical system that engages the bar. If the light turns on solid, does that mean the locker(s) or the bar are actually engaged? Is there a way to tell if either or are actually engaged and working?

Thanks,

- Wayne

wprecanico

Re: 2009 PW - new to me

Post by wprecanico » Thu Aug 04, 2022 5:24 pm

Sorry for the dual posts: I got an error and didn't realize it actually posted. Can this one be deleted?

Mule007
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by Mule007 » Thu Aug 04, 2022 6:06 pm

Unless you are a board administrator or moderator, you can only edit or delete your own posts. You can edit a post by clicking the edit button for the relevant post, sometimes for only a short period of time,,,,,At the upper left of the board index page you will see a FAQ icon with a blue question mark that can explain it a bit more if needed,,,,,
:patriot:2005 Mineral Grey; QC- #0666: "Laramie", power heated Leather seats, tow mirrors, dual zones, Alpine 9 speaker surround sound, steering wheel cruise control, music & volume controls; remote start, 6 CD player, AC; dark charcoal silver interior.
Additions: Frame mounted .188 DOM 3" steel rock rails, low profile steps;1.5” Skyjacker leveling kit; Bully Dog GT Platinum A-pillar mount programmable performance chip, monitor,& tuner; Linex Platinum OTR HD bed & rock panel coating; Red Ryder matching cab high fiberglass canopy; 2” Linex brush guard w/4-4” Halogen off road lights; Hopkins Trailer Mate brake controller; Bearcat Pro 68XL CB; Mopar black fender flares; PW winch accessory kit/remote control.
Tools: hand tools, 60” Extreme High Lift; rigging; straps; shackles; F&R chains; (2ea) rear wheel well NATO 20 L narrow gas cans & 5# extinguishers
Updates: Jasper Remfgr’d 5.7 Hemi Engine; Open Range AT 35x12.5 x17 MP3 10 ply E tires; Moog HD U/L front axle ball joints & wheel bearings; new link, sway, y bar & bushing assemblies; fuel pump; A/C exhaust fan & compressor;1 ton HEMI transmission cooler; OEM radiator; front pinion seal & bearing; Denso 180-amp alternator; Megatron 850 CCA HD battery; water pump, serpentine belt, Bilstein 2 5100 shocks/HD steering damper; F&R locker motors,sensors/u joints; 3" Magna flow cat back rear exit dual exhausts; Performance Brake/slotted rotor/caliper/pads

Mule007
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by Mule007 » Thu Aug 04, 2022 6:13 pm

Wayne: Regarding your final question: In the board index under Marketplace is a Vendors Forum. Go there and go to Abel products,,,,there is a wealth of information on your question and David who is Abel Products has contact information to contact him directly via e-mail regarding questions. It is on the first page of the Abel products page and he usually responds fairly quickly,,,,,
:patriot:2005 Mineral Grey; QC- #0666: "Laramie", power heated Leather seats, tow mirrors, dual zones, Alpine 9 speaker surround sound, steering wheel cruise control, music & volume controls; remote start, 6 CD player, AC; dark charcoal silver interior.
Additions: Frame mounted .188 DOM 3" steel rock rails, low profile steps;1.5” Skyjacker leveling kit; Bully Dog GT Platinum A-pillar mount programmable performance chip, monitor,& tuner; Linex Platinum OTR HD bed & rock panel coating; Red Ryder matching cab high fiberglass canopy; 2” Linex brush guard w/4-4” Halogen off road lights; Hopkins Trailer Mate brake controller; Bearcat Pro 68XL CB; Mopar black fender flares; PW winch accessory kit/remote control.
Tools: hand tools, 60” Extreme High Lift; rigging; straps; shackles; F&R chains; (2ea) rear wheel well NATO 20 L narrow gas cans & 5# extinguishers
Updates: Jasper Remfgr’d 5.7 Hemi Engine; Open Range AT 35x12.5 x17 MP3 10 ply E tires; Moog HD U/L front axle ball joints & wheel bearings; new link, sway, y bar & bushing assemblies; fuel pump; A/C exhaust fan & compressor;1 ton HEMI transmission cooler; OEM radiator; front pinion seal & bearing; Denso 180-amp alternator; Megatron 850 CCA HD battery; water pump, serpentine belt, Bilstein 2 5100 shocks/HD steering damper; F&R locker motors,sensors/u joints; 3" Magna flow cat back rear exit dual exhausts; Performance Brake/slotted rotor/caliper/pads

Retired BLM Rig
1000_Posts
1000_Posts
Model Year: 2008

Post by Retired BLM Rig » Fri Aug 05, 2022 2:49 am

wprecanico wrote:
Thu Aug 04, 2022 5:22 pm
At the risk of repeating myself, there is a lot of good information out here. I've been reading for what seems to be hours now. Really cool stuff.

I've had my PW for a couple of weeks now. Going through it and taking are of some of the things the previous owner didn't. Tires, brakes, etc. I've been reading a ton of posts on the forum and have a couple of questions; I know what a nanny bypass is now, but I can't find a post on what the locker and smartbar bypasses do. I've read that the 2005-2009 have less nanny-ness but to what extent?

Final question. For this post!

I have a problem where the 4WD light is on while in 2WD. I put the truck in 4WD and I can't engage the smartbar. What I did find is that if in 2WD, I engage the smartbar, it does. That leads me to believe it's an electrical system, not a mechanical system that engages the bar. If the light turns on solid, does that mean the locker(s) or the bar are actually engaged? Is there a way to tell if either or are actually engaged and working?

Thanks,

- Wayne
Hi Wayne,

Welcome to the forum!

The factory locker system only allows the lockers to work if the transfer case is shifted into 4Low (the "4x4 Low" indicator has to be illuminated on the instrument cluster) You also have to be traveling less than 3 MPH for it to engage, once engaged there is no speed limit. If the locker indicator lights are flashing, it means that the module is trying to fulfill your request but is unable due to the parameters not being met or there's a problem with the system or the dog gears aren't aligned in the locker. If the light is on solid, it means your request has been completed. You can jack up the axle and try to spin the tires to confirm if they're locked. If the engine isn't running, the system will timeout after 2 minutes and the axles will unlock.

The Locker Bypass liberates the lockers from the factory constraints and allows the driver to engage the lockers anytime he wants (2H, 4H, 4L), while still using the factory dash switch to control them. viewtopic.php?f=47&t=5876

The factory sway bar disconnect is only allowed to work in 4H or 4L. Since your 4x4 indicator is illuminated in 2WD, it's allowing your sway bar to disconnect, because it thinks you're in 4WD. The factory system automatically reconnects the sway bar above 18 MPH.

The "Full SmartBar Bypass" is the same as the "Locker Bypass" in that it liberates the lockers, but it also liberates the sway bar to work anytime you want, with no speed limitation, while still using the factory switches to control everything. Disconnecting the sway bar on 2WD dirt roads helps soften the ride. viewtopic.php?f=47&t=8075

The reason your 4x4 indicator light is screwing up, is because you have a faulty "Transfer Case Position Sensor". Here's a tread I posted when I replaced mine: viewtopic.php?f=39&t=6444&p=106641
I would recommend using the factory sensor (#5083138AA). It's located above the front driveshaft on the T-case and requires a 1-1/2" tool to remove it.

Good luck! :patriot:

David

wprecanico

Post by wprecanico » Sun Aug 07, 2022 8:13 pm

Thanks Dave! Very helpful, and illuminating.

I think once I get through some of these problems that keep popping up - latest one is P0642 - I might just ring you up for the bypass kit. I see the reviews and they all are positive.

- Wayne