Ouray, CO to Las Vegas, NV - Trail/Scenic Suggestions

Wheeling trips, camping trips, meet-ups, a night out boozing, etc.
EasyDoesIt
250_Posts
250_Posts
Model Year: 2018

Ouray, CO to Las Vegas, NV - Trail/Scenic Suggestions

Post by EasyDoesIt » Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:09 pm

I'm headed to Ouray from Las Vegas this Friday, the plan is to camp at Lake Powell/Lone Rock Beach Friday Night, then head into Ouray Saturday. Ouray trails Saturday-Tuesday then take a scenic route back to Las Vegas.

I have a 20' camper and plan to BLM/Forest Camp as often as possible bu not opposed to proper camp grounds.

So where should I go Wednesday, South or North? Looking to get home to Vegas Saturday night so I have 4 days to make it home.

All trail or scenic recommendations are welcome.

Figure I could go South and hit New Mexico and Northern Arizona or North and hit the Rockies and different parts of Utah.

I'm leaning towards the Southerly route because I grew up in Utah, done Moab and Zion/Bryce multiple times.

Steve
Live: Las Vegas NV, Drive: 2018 PW & 2014 LR4

RustyPW
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2008

Re: Ouray, CO to Las Vegas, NV - Trail/Scenic Suggestions

Post by RustyPW » Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:12 pm

I've camped at Lone Rock Beach by Page Az. It depends on what the lake level is as to where you can find a good spot for camping. My youngest stepson said the lake is higher now then what it has been in the last few years. Have to watch out for the generator nazi. The guy patrols every night to make sure your generator is off by 10pm. :angry:
PWOC #53
2008 POWER WAGON RC

My build thread. http://forum.powerwagonregistry.org/vie ... =13&t=2826 :cash: :cash:

Moab '09, '10, '12, '14.
Rausch Creek - Summer '10, Spring-Fall '11, Spring '12, Summer '13, Summer '14, Summer '15, Summer '16, Summer '17, Summer '18, Summer '20, Summer '22,
AOAA Summer '19.

Russ
NRA - Benefactor, Golden Eagle. :lockedandloaded:

EasyDoesIt
250_Posts
250_Posts
Model Year: 2018

Re: Ouray, CO to Las Vegas, NV - Trail/Scenic Suggestions

Post by EasyDoesIt » Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:13 pm

RustyPW wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:12 pm
I've camped at Lone Rock Beach by Page Az. It depends on what the lake level is as to where you can find a good spot for camping. My youngest stepson said the lake is higher now then what it has been in the last few years. Have to watch out for the generator nazi. The guy patrols every night to make sure your generator is off by 10pm. :angry:
Slight change in plans, my AC decided to kick the bucket so I wont be able to leave until I get the new one installed Friday afternoon. We wont be hitting Powell until the way back. We go to Lake Powell Lone Rock Beach every year in September (this year will be 10 years). We love it but this will be the first time with my 3 year old son which will be great but a different trip.

When we go in September, we go with a group of 20-35 people and commandeer the cove at the south-west end of the beach. Perfect because its away from all the generator Generator Nazis although you do get the occasional polygamist going for a dip (swim jeans and all) :lol:

Maybe I'll run into you one of these trips!

I digressed a bit. Anyone know of any good camping or trails in Northern AZ or Northern New Mexico?
Live: Las Vegas NV, Drive: 2018 PW & 2014 LR4