bed mounted antenna, where are you all running your cable into the cab?

CBs / FRS / GMRS / MARS, radios, stereos, computers, tools, etc. The stuff you use to support wheeling or use of your PW.
jsims006
Model Year: 2018

Post by jsims006 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:22 am

Power Wagon: Like a Jeep but for Men.

Low_Sky
500_Posts
500_Posts
Model Year: 2015

Re: bed mounted antenna, where are you all running your cable into the cab?

Post by Low_Sky » Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:52 pm

jsims006 wrote:bed mounted antenna, where are you all running your cable into the cab?
On my 2015, coming in through the driver side in-floor storage bin. Take the bin out. Run cable through the giant hole in the floor. Reinstall the bin. Easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
John
Alaska
2015 PW on 2.5" Thuren Kings
My build thread

jsims006

Post by jsims006 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 4:40 pm

you arent worried about downward pressure on the lid of the bins from foot traffic cutting or smashing your cable? I might just do that.

Low_Sky
500_Posts
500_Posts
Model Year: 2015

Post by Low_Sky » Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:10 pm

jsims006 wrote:you arent worried about downward pressure on the lid of the bins from foot traffic cutting or smashing your cable? I might just do that.
Non-issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
John
Alaska
2015 PW on 2.5" Thuren Kings
My build thread

jsims006

Post by jsims006 » Sat Sep 28, 2019 2:51 am

So I ended up taking off the back plate from the rambox bed where the bed extender connects and found a little 5/8" hole to run the cable. Then I took out the driver side rambox and ran the cable over the braces and down the front assembly. Then I ran it through the drivers side bin, where I notched out a V in the bin to lay the cable where the top would still fit on flush.

Then I ran it under the carpet to under the center bench seat and towards the front, under the console cover the shifter is in, and up the backside of the lower center stack. I then drilled a 1" hole in the back where I mounted the radio and did the same for the power wires, which I ran under the dash and out of the clutch plate to the battery.

I took it out this weekend for a radio check in the woods and got a lot of compliments about the quality and tested a lot of GMRS distance too. I used a Tram mirror mount NMO bracket with a 17" lead and had a local guy trim the bracket to fit in in the rambox cargo rail. I wrestled with mounting it in the front on the bed but after reading a million posts I decided to mount it at the back of the bed on the drivers side and very happy I did.

So in the end just do it this way. You could put one on the passenger side too if you wanted to run a CB or something else.