12vdc to 5vdc output hub

CBs / FRS / GMRS / MARS, radios, stereos, computers, tools, etc. The stuff you use to support wheeling or use of your PW.
jsims006
Model Year: 2018

12vdc to 5vdc output hub

Post by jsims006 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:02 am

Is there a 12v to 5v dc hub or something I can plug a bunch of micro electronics into for hard power? Like something I can connect to the battery and stick under the dash to hardwire camera, GPS, etc.

I have already replaced the usb charging outlet with a dual port quick charger but I would like something I could hide the cords permanently out of the way.
Power Wagon: Like a Jeep but for Men.

Mule
500_Posts
500_Posts

Re: 12vdc to 5vdc output hub

Post by Mule » Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:36 pm

if you want something done right....

...gonna have to do it yourself.

:lockedandloaded:

There is equipment like this available for cheaper... I built mine because I had particular requirements (stacking/chaining for a monster 16-port charger) and after blowing up a $200 GPS with a cheap-ass chinese USB charger, I wanted something with a little more protection/regulation on it. My shit's not cheap, but it does "just work". :cheers:

"DC-DC Converters" are available to step up/down voltage for equipment that wants weird inputs. These distribution amplifiers wanted 9v from a wall-wart, I installed a converter in the enlosure that allows me to connect automotive voltage to the outside of the box. Converter knocks that voltage down and regulates to 9v for the board itself.

jsims006
Model Year: 2018

Post by jsims006 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:20 pm

man thats insane skills. No way I could do that LOL

I was thinking something like this that would output 5vdc with screw lugs and I could chop up a usb cord
71JHjeR9FWL._SX425_.jpg
Power Wagon: Like a Jeep but for Men.

Mule
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by Mule » Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:50 pm

Some USB devices need to negotiate with the host/charger for power delivery, so just putting 5V on the lines doesn't work with those devices.
Very device-dependent. Samsung phones are really picky about what they'll take power from. My Motorola stuff doesn't care - if there's power there, it'll take as much as the host will allow and back off current if it starts to crowbar. Apple stuff is, well, Apple. Better use their approved charger, and plug it into an approved outlet, or else...

Dashcam and GPS probably won't care, but the newer GPS's are behaving more like phones. Bench-test it first.

DC-DC converter will get you 5V, check your power requirements first. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MEESLZ6/ (chinese, so use at your own risk...)