New to me 2016 PW

Newbie Corner: New Members Must Post 1 post in this forum FIRST before posting elsewhere. This is a chance to let everyone know who you are, info about your wagon, etc.
16PW
50_Posts
50_Posts
Model Year: 2016

New to me 2016 PW

Post by 16PW » Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:43 am

Hello Everyone,

I am new to this forum as I have just stumbled across it a couple of weeks ago when I bought my 2016 Power Wagon. I have been doing tons of reading on here trying to learn as much as possible about this amazing truck. I really love the truck and have already taken it off road after just a week of having it. I did Broken Arrow Trail in Sedona this past weekend and the truck did it with ease all in 4H. It is rated as a "difficult" trail and my PW is bone stock. I didn't even get to play around with the lockers or sway bar disconnect.Now come the upgrades.37" tires will be for sure going on in the near future and will most likely be the Cooper STT Pros. I know the gears could be a slight issue, but since I hardly ever tow I'm sure the 4.10 will be good enough for now....until I get my list of stuff done...then possible regear.

Armor:
White knuckle sliders
Carli front diff cover
Purple Cranium rear cover
Transmission skid plate
Low profile/heavy duty front and rear bumpers (If I can find some I like which seems to be a problem with the PW's)

Suspension....???? (I'm stumped with what I want to do and need suggestions)
Thuren
BDS 4" lift (Has anyone heard any reviews on this since it was just released?)

If I don't go with BDS, I will for sure do Thuren as that seems to be loved across the PW owners on here. I have read so much about the 2.5 kings and of course 3.0, but the $$$ is crazy! I'm sure the ride is amazing, but I will not be doing any high speed runs as I bought this for the crawling. I was thinking of doing the 2.0 kings because I'm sure they will fit my needs and not cost an arm and a leg. What are your thoughts on the 2.0 kings? Besides the 2.5/3.0 being way better. lol Also would the BDS 4" lift on 37s be too tall for off road crawling? I stepped up to the PW over a 1500 for the off road capabilities. I have no clue how crazy I will be getting with crawling, but just want to make sure I do things right.

Any suggestions and opinions would be highly appreciated.
Attachments
Truck.jpg

OffroadTreks
Model Year: 2015

Re: New to me 2016 PW

Post by OffroadTreks » Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:10 pm

16PW wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:43 am

If I don't go with BDS, I will for sure do Thuren as that seems to be loved across the PW owners on here. I have read so much about the 2.5 kings and of course 3.0, but the $$$ is crazy! I'm sure the ride is amazing, but I will not be doing any high speed runs as I bought this for the crawling. I was thinking of doing the 2.0 kings because I'm sure they will fit my needs and not cost an arm and a leg. What are your thoughts on the 2.0 kings? Besides the 2.5/3.0 being way better. lol Also would the BDS 4" lift on 37s be too tall for off road crawling? I stepped up to the PW over a 1500 for the off road capabilities. I have no clue how crazy I will be getting with crawling, but just want to make sure I do things right.

Any suggestions and opinions would be highly appreciated.
BSD is utter f**ing garbage, please don't chose it.

That being said, STOP RIGHT THERE.

Congrats on doing Broken Arrow, now you know how capable these trucks are bone stock. My advice, is the advice I keep giving people in other places all the time about their vehicles and the rush to do mods.

I wrote this on another forum, and it still stands >>
BoldAdventure wrote:I'd say it's a safe wager that most don't even bother to attempt to wheel their rig in stock trim. I've done a ton of trails stock. That's how you learn your rig and it's limits. And that is the best way to plan a build, with experience.

But most just get online and start looking for tires and lift, BECUASE that's what everyone does, right?
Get out there and use your truck. The mods you have now are great for protection. As you wheel and use your truck, let that determine what you need as far as suspension goes.

Don't be in a rush. That's the mistake of the amateur. And they never learn how their vehicle handles or responds or how the mods they've done effect things.

:cheers:

And welcome to the forum.

That being said, I didn't actually answer your questions
16PW wrote:

I have read so much about the 2.5 kings and of course 3.0, but the $$$ is crazy! I'm sure the ride is amazing, but I will not be doing any high speed runs as I bought this for the crawling. I was thinking of doing the 2.0 kings because I'm sure they will fit my needs and not cost an arm and a leg. What are your thoughts on the 2.0 kings?
I'm running a custom tune 2.5 setup and all I do is crawl and go slow. The 2.0's are soft and aren't going to serve you well for crawling, IMO and from discussions. Maybe DamageWagon can follow this up.
16PW wrote:
Besides the 2.5/3.0 being way better. lol Also would the BDS 4" lift on 37s be too tall for off road crawling? I stepped up to the PW over a 1500 for the off road capabilities. I have no clue how crazy I will be getting with crawling, but just want to make sure I do things right.
That 4 inch lift will translate to 2 inches over stock and also it will ride like crud and handle terribly. The COG on these trucks will work against you over 3 inches. All you need to do is level your truck. If you want to do serious offroad, you have to accept that 4, 6, 8 inch lifts work against you. You can be a bruh or you can be hardcore offroad. Pick one.

Follow my above advice before slapping the wrong lift on your truck and regretting it.

:winchmob:
2015 Power Wagon Laramie - "ROCKLANDER"
-------
[Build Thread] [Instagram] [Youtube]
------
Full-Size Off-Road Events & Overland Adventures

16PW
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by 16PW » Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:03 pm

BoldAdventure wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:10 pm
That 4 inch lift will translate to 2 inches over stock and also it will ride like crud and handle terribly. The COG on these trucks will work against you over 3 inches. All you need to do is level your truck. If you want to do serious offroad, you have to accept that 4, 6, 8 inch lifts work against you. You can be a bruh or you can be hardcore offroad. Pick one.

Follow my above advice before slapping the wrong lift on your truck and regretting it.

Thank you for all of the input. I actually follow you on Instagram and have for quite a while before getting my power wagon. You have a bad ass rig! I was definitely afraid of the BDS not being as good quality as Thuren. My build will definitely progress over time, especially with how much some of these upgrades cost. I do want to put on 37s asap as the tires that came with the truck suck which are Ironman AT in stock size and only an 8 ply tire. I aired down for broken arrow to 30 psi and was surprised how much the tires were bulging just sitting on flat dirt. That had me a bit worried with it being an 8 ply. I plan to keep wheeling it and hope to do Crown King within the next couple of weeks. I am going on a fishing trip tomorrow for a few days and will be driving across some washboard dirt roads. Maybe those washboards will encourage me to spend more on suspension. I did just read from DamageWagon today that the Thuren springs work with 2014+ stock shocks so that could be an option for the time being till I figure what shocks I want to go with and to get the front up a little.

RustyPW
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2008

Post by RustyPW » Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:53 pm

Welcome to the forum.

As you found out. The stock PW can go a lot of places. Take your time with the mods and watch your budget. (can't believe I sad that) As it will take a hit real quick if you ain't careful. You won't find any PW's on here with big lift kits. As Mike said. They will work against you off-road.

PWOC #53
2008 POWER WAGON RC

My build thread. http://forum.powerwagonregistry.org/vie ... =13&t=2826 :cash: :cash:

Moab '09, '10, '12, '14.
Rausch Creek - Summer '10, Spring-Fall '11, Spring '12, Summer '13, Summer '14, Summer '15, Summer '16, Summer '17, Summer '18, Summer '20, Summer '22,
AOAA Summer '19.

Russ
NRA - Benefactor, Golden Eagle. :lockedandloaded:

Mule007
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by Mule007 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:34 pm

Welcome to the forum, Enjoy 🌞👍
:patriot:2005 Mineral Grey; QC- #0666: "Laramie", power heated Leather seats, tow mirrors, dual zones, Alpine 9 speaker surround sound, steering wheel cruise control, music & volume controls; remote start, 6 CD player, AC; dark charcoal silver interior.
Additions: Frame mounted .188 DOM 3" steel rock rails, low profile steps;1.5” Skyjacker leveling kit; Bully Dog GT Platinum A-pillar mount programmable performance chip, monitor,& tuner; Linex Platinum OTR HD bed & rock panel coating; Red Ryder matching cab high fiberglass canopy; 2” Linex brush guard w/4-4” Halogen off road lights; Hopkins Trailer Mate brake controller; Bearcat Pro 68XL CB; Mopar black fender flares; PW winch accessory kit/remote control.
Tools: hand tools, 60” Extreme High Lift; rigging; straps; shackles; F&R chains; (2ea) rear wheel well NATO 20 L narrow gas cans & 5# extinguishers
Updates: Jasper Remfgr’d 5.7 Hemi Engine; Open Range AT 35x12.5 x17 MP3 10 ply E tires; Moog HD U/L front axle ball joints & wheel bearings; new link, sway, y bar & bushing assemblies; fuel pump; A/C exhaust fan & compressor;1 ton HEMI transmission cooler; OEM radiator; front pinion seal & bearing; Denso 180-amp alternator; Megatron 850 CCA HD battery; water pump, serpentine belt, Bilstein 2 5100 shocks/HD steering damper; F&R locker motors,sensors/u joints; 3" Magna flow cat back rear exit dual exhausts; Performance Brake/slotted rotor/caliper/pads

Bill2014
1000_Posts
1000_Posts
Model Year: 2014

Post by Bill2014 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:49 am

Like everyone said: Lifts will work against you - AND A LIFT ISN'T REQUIRED TO RUN 37'S ON A 14+ POWER WAGON.
2014 Power Wagon Laramie
Titan V5 2.5" Receiver Pintle Hook
Warn wireless winch controller
.188" DOM White Knuckle Rock Sliders
Locker Bypass & Nanny Kill Switch

Moab 2006

TankerZak
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by TankerZak » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:01 am

I somedays really wish I woulda created a build thread. I did all my mods in a nice progression that I think is nice in these kinds of scenarios.

If you want armor, doet, no regrets.

When you get to suspension buy the Thuren front springs to get your nose up a hair to level it. If being a hair nose high with anything in the bed bothers you put a 1 inch spacers in the rear. See how it rides on 37s with that height. See how you use it.

Then you can determine if the wheel rub is too much and you want better backspace wheels (or TR beadlocks, lol).

And then you can pick shocks. Once you pick shocks you'll need to do rear springs and sway bar extension. But it's a nice progression and you don't repeat any purchases.

Oh and Thuren rear trackbar should be installed from the factory... and Duratracs should be illegal...

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

2016 Granite Crystal Metallic Power Wagon Laramie, graphics delete, debadged, Thuren front and rear coils, Thuren rear swaybar links, Thuren front and rear trackbars, Traxada rear 1 inch spacers, King 3.0 (Stage 4) front and 2.5 (Stage 3) rear shocks, Boogie front bump stops, Cooper STT Pro 37x13.50R17 on XD Machette 17x9 +18 wheels, Centramatics, 5.13 gears, DOR steering brace, Thuren truss, Thuren King Steering Damper, Synergy Steering Kit, Thuren PW front bumper, Thuren rear bumper, White Knuckle rock sliders, Dethloff skid plate, Dethloff rear sway bar spacers, Purple Cranium Half Spider front and rear diff guards, Airlift 5000 Ultimate airbags with Daystar cradles, Bakflip Revolver X2 tonneau, Factor55 Ultrahook with 100ft 7/16 A.R.E. Spidersilk synthetic winch line, Zroadz Grill with slim 20 inch light bar, DDM Tuning LEDs/HIDs, Rigid Side Shooter ditch lights, KC rock lights, Rigid fog lights, Baja Designs rear lights, Magnaflow 19200 modified with upgraded resonator and after axle dump, tinted front windows 35%.

16PW
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by 16PW » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:51 am

TankerZak wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:01 am
I somedays really wish I woulda created a build thread. I did all my mods in a nice progression that I think is nice in these kinds of scenarios.
That is exactly how I plan on doing it. 37s might go on next week. Then eventually Thuren front springs, armor, and then see what shocks I want to go with. The rear spacer would probably go on with the front springs since I have read from quite a few people that the truck may be a bit nose high or even just appear that way. I don't mind having a little rake in the rear. Diff covers and rock sliders would be nice sooner than later for that peace of mind.

I did get plenty of dirt road time this past weekend and I was amazed how good the truck felt stock, especially with it being a 2500. I drove down bumpy dirt roads 30-40 mph and it was surprisingly smooth, and I had the front tires at 50 and rear at 45. I know it would have been much better if I was lower. I could only imagine what King 2.5 or 3.0 would feel like! :shock: I got to finally play around with 4low, lockers, sway bar disconnect and hill descent control. This truck is an absolute beast in 4low. It really is hard to bring it to a stop. It crawled up some steep hills with no tire slip and that is with just AT tires. I was amazed how steep the truck will climb in 4low without even giving it gas! :o I let the truck climb in 4 low up a hill with big ruts on 1 side all on its on, all I did was steer. The truck was so smooth going in and out of the ruts. It didn't even feel like there were ruts there. My dad was with me and was completely amazed. He kept saying he has never seen or felt anything like it. He also kept asking "wasn't there a big rock there" or "wasn't there big ruts there". lol I'm loving this truck more and more.