First Ram

Newbie Corner: New Members Must Post 1 post in this forum FIRST before posting elsewhere. This is a chance to let everyone know who you are, info about your wagon, etc.
ValleySentinel
Model Year: 2018

First Ram

Post by ValleySentinel » Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:31 am

Greetings from the Comox Valley on Vancouver Island, BC, CANADA.
Purchased a Flame Red RAM Power Wagon 2 weeks ago. Ditched the Duratracs right off (didn't even test drive with them) and had Nokian ROCKPROOF 315/70R17 installed...red letters out. So far so good. At recommended air pressure, tires were not wearing properly in the rear. Harder compound is made for the shot rock trails (FSR's) I venture on during weekends. At 55psi now all around but may take a bit more out of the rear yet. Will be giving some feedback on these tires as time goes on. So far about 1300k on them from highway driving. TPMS light is on but will see if the dealership can adjust that for new values.

RustyPW
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2008

Re: First Ram

Post by RustyPW » Sat Sep 08, 2018 3:45 pm

Welcome to the forum. You may get a lot of opinions on air pressure. On my 3G with Toyo 35's. I run 45 front and 35 rear on the street with on load in the bed. I hate feeling like a basket ball bouncing down the highway.

:winchmob:
PWOC #53
2008 POWER WAGON RC

My build thread. http://forum.powerwagonregistry.org/vie ... =13&t=2826 :cash: :cash:

Moab '09, '10, '12, '14.
Rausch Creek - Summer '10, Spring-Fall '11, Spring '12, Summer '13, Summer '14, Summer '15, Summer '16, Summer '17, Summer '18, Summer '20, Summer '22,
AOAA Summer '19.

Russ
NRA - Benefactor, Golden Eagle. :lockedandloaded:

ValleySentinel

Post by ValleySentinel » Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:28 pm

I dropped by Kal Tire today to verify the tires are not improperly balanced and/or get a recommendation for air pressure (as they were the ones who installed the tires). I was informed that they (KT) would enquire Nokian as to what their inflation recommendations are for this specific truck/tire combination. I'm pleased with how professional the Kal Tire employee was in addition to their diligence to address my concern. I should be hearing back from them next week. Dodge said I have to live with the light on the dash. Oh well...now I have a use for my old roll of electrical tape.

Bill2014
1000_Posts
1000_Posts
Model Year: 2014

Post by Bill2014 » Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:00 am

Welcome to the group! :cheers:

I suggest you read the numerous posts here on this forum to get more info on tire pressures.
Try to focus more on the real data (truth) than opinions. :D

Different tire brands will have different requirements for pressure to wear evenly. Different brands are made differently. If you are going to use your truck as a heavy duty truck, you will need higher pressures. If you will use it as a play toy or passenger car, then lower pressures will suit you better. Best of luck!
2014 Power Wagon Laramie
Titan V5 2.5" Receiver Pintle Hook
Warn wireless winch controller
.188" DOM White Knuckle Rock Sliders
Locker Bypass & Nanny Kill Switch

Moab 2006

Low_Sky
500_Posts
500_Posts
Model Year: 2015

Post by Low_Sky » Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:59 am

If you want to fix the TPMS light, you need an AEV Procal and a trip to the dealer for them to follow some simple instructions. The Procal also corrects for tire size and a couple other tricks (don’t need the dealer trip for that), and if you put 35” or larger tires on the truck it’s something you’ll want to do.

Regarding pressure, do a chalk test on your tires. It’s the best way to determine the pressure you need without relying on Joe Schmoe at the tire shop, who probably has no clue.

Welcome to the forum!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
John
Alaska
2015 PW on 2.5" Thuren Kings
My build thread

Mule007
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by Mule007 » Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:53 pm

Welcome👍
:patriot:2005 Mineral Grey; QC- #0666: "Laramie", power heated Leather seats, tow mirrors, dual zones, Alpine 9 speaker surround sound, steering wheel cruise control, music & volume controls; remote start, 6 CD player, AC; dark charcoal silver interior.
Additions: Frame mounted .188 DOM 3" steel rock rails, low profile steps;1.5” Skyjacker leveling kit; Bully Dog GT Platinum A-pillar mount programmable performance chip, monitor,& tuner; Linex Platinum OTR HD bed & rock panel coating; Red Ryder matching cab high fiberglass canopy; 2” Linex brush guard w/4-4” Halogen off road lights; Hopkins Trailer Mate brake controller; Bearcat Pro 68XL CB; Mopar black fender flares; PW winch accessory kit/remote control.
Tools: hand tools, 60” Extreme High Lift; rigging; straps; shackles; F&R chains; (2ea) rear wheel well NATO 20 L narrow gas cans & 5# extinguishers
Updates: Jasper Remfgr’d 5.7 Hemi Engine; Open Range AT 35x12.5 x17 MP3 10 ply E tires; Moog HD U/L front axle ball joints & wheel bearings; new link, sway, y bar & bushing assemblies; fuel pump; A/C exhaust fan & compressor;1 ton HEMI transmission cooler; OEM radiator; front pinion seal & bearing; Denso 180-amp alternator; Megatron 850 CCA HD battery; water pump, serpentine belt, Bilstein 2 5100 shocks/HD steering damper; F&R locker motors,sensors/u joints; 3" Magna flow cat back rear exit dual exhausts; Performance Brake/slotted rotor/caliper/pads

ValleySentinel

Post by ValleySentinel » Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:00 am

Went out to Menzie's peak (north, past Campbell River) and ventured further than I did previously in my Frontier. Felt a bit more confident in this truck. Was raining off and on so the trail was wet and the fog, at times, was impenetrable vision-wise. Several parts of the service road were scooped out quite deeply (makeshift culverts for water drainage) and the truck navigated through them without a problem. Did lightly scrape the bottom of the hitch a few times though and the front proximity sensors were solid tones on several approaches until my headache made me switch them off. All in all, it was a fun ride.

Did a chalk test of the tires but the light in the sky was dimming quick, so I'll re-check them tomorrow. Think I ended up with 32psi Front and 28psi Rear. Will take it to a longer parking lot to re-verify my test.

Thanks for the welcome!