Locker Issues....

If it's about Power Wagons, all generations, this is where it'll go. This is the original PWR Forum Power Wagon Technical Discussion Section. And this includes everything that doesn’t fit in any one of the other categories related to the truck goes here!
MOPARManiac
250_Posts
250_Posts

Locker Issues....

Post by MOPARManiac » Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:07 pm

Did a search and couldn't find a similar issue. My lockers won't engage and now my sway bar disconnect seems to be acting up as well. When I go to lock the rear it just flashes and occasionally the green unlock light will sometimes flash once. The front locker light will sometimes flash as well. I have checked the electrical connections for smart bar and on the diffs. Changed the rear fluid and cleaned the magnets. Still wouldn't engage so I disconnected the battery and then after some time the rear locker locked. Then after some more time the front locker locked. Unlocked them both and now they won't lock again. Swaybar took forever to connect as well.

Anyone had this issue? Smartbar?
2010 Power Wagon in Bright Silver Metalic, Sun Roof, Power sliding rear window, Nav, Luverne Grill Guard. Cooper S/T Maxx tires, DeeZee toolbox w/ Hi Lift Jack, two Jerry Cans/Mounts, Armacoating bedliner, Carli front diff guard. White Knuckle Off Road Sliders.

Retired BLM Rig
1000_Posts
1000_Posts
Model Year: 2008

Re: Locker Issues....

Post by Retired BLM Rig » Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:06 pm

Do the 4WD and 4LOW indicator lights function properly on the instrument cluster and accurately correspond to the transfer case shifter position?

I've had a faulty transfer case position sensor inhibit my locker and swaybar function in the past.

MOPARManiac
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by MOPARManiac » Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:37 pm

Retired BLM Rig wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:06 pm
Do the 4WD and 4LOW indicator lights function properly on the instrument cluster and accurately correspond to the transfer case shifter position?

I've had a faulty transfer case position sensor inhibit my locker and swaybar function in the past.
Yeah, that was changed last year so I've been down that road. The lights function properly and I'm not getting the service 4 wheel drive light like some do when their lockers won't function.
2010 Power Wagon in Bright Silver Metalic, Sun Roof, Power sliding rear window, Nav, Luverne Grill Guard. Cooper S/T Maxx tires, DeeZee toolbox w/ Hi Lift Jack, two Jerry Cans/Mounts, Armacoating bedliner, Carli front diff guard. White Knuckle Off Road Sliders.

Retired BLM Rig
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by Retired BLM Rig » Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:33 am

Snap-On scanners have the ability to read final drive control module/SmartBar codes and live data. Find a shop near you that offers free code reading and has a Snap-On or other professional grade scanner (Autel, OTC, Matco, Mac, etc.) and see if that can give you any more info to work with. If you can get a code, I can post a diagnostic procedure from the factory service manual. You can also check out the diagnostic info that I posted on this thread and see if it's of any use to you. Also rumor has it that PitSlave rebuilds SmartBars if that's what it comes down to.

MOPARManiac
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by MOPARManiac » Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:38 am

Retired BLM Rig wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:33 am
Snap-On scanners have the ability to read final drive control module/SmartBar codes and live data. Find a shop near you that offers free code reading and has a Snap-On or other professional grade scanner (Autel, OTC, Matco, Mac, etc.) and see if that can give you any more info to work with. If you can get a code, I can post a diagnostic procedure from the factory service manual. You can also check out the diagnostic info that I posted on this thread and see if it's of any use to you. Also rumor has it that PitSlave rebuilds SmartBars if that's what it comes down to.
Good information. I have the lifetime warranty so off to the dealer it will go. It's just bad timing because I need the Power Wagon for elk hunting.

Bill2014
1000_Posts
1000_Posts
Model Year: 2014

Post by Bill2014 » Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:55 am

MOPARManiac wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:38 am

... I have the lifetime warranty so off to the dealer it will go. ...
Off to the dealer? You're screwed. :wink:
2014 Power Wagon Laramie
Titan V5 2.5" Receiver Pintle Hook
Warn wireless winch controller
.188" DOM White Knuckle Rock Sliders
Locker Bypass & Nanny Kill Switch

Moab 2006

olyelr
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2016

Post by olyelr » Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:45 pm

Bill2014 wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:55 am
MOPARManiac wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:38 am

... I have the lifetime warranty so off to the dealer it will go. ...
Off to the dealer? You're screwed. :wink:

This ^^^^^^^^ :lol:
2016 Ram Power Wagon Laramie - Granite Crystal Metallic - Ramboxes - 35” AT3W - TazerRAM

:patriot:

FordyceCreekTrail
500_Posts
500_Posts
Model Year: 2014

Post by FordyceCreekTrail » Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:10 pm

Dealer: "Who makes the Power Wagon?" "Nothing comes with a front locker" :excited:
2018 Flame Red, Moon Roof, Dual Alternators, Ram Boxes sadly Ram ran out of, Luxo Package with 8.4 UConnect, Enter and Go with remote start, Auto Wipers and Lights. Added missing skids and White Knuckle sliders. 35" BFG KM3s. Procal and Warn wireless remote for winch.

rammit11
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by rammit11 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:33 pm

FordyceCreekTrail wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:10 pm
e: Locker Issues....Quote FordyceCreekTrail
by FordyceCreekTrail » Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:10 pm

D That sounds about right for the status quo

MOPARManiac
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by MOPARManiac » Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:40 pm

Went out tonight and tried the lockers and they locked in instantly. Tried a few more times and sometimes they'll engage and sometimes they won't. Thinking it is a wiring/connector issue of some sort maybe the smart bar.

MOPARManiac
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by MOPARManiac » Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:33 pm

Dealer couldn't find anything wrong with the lockers and they seem to be working fine now. I think that it was the transfer case position switch screwing up even though it said it was in 4-lo. Putting it in and out of 4 wheel drive several times must have fixed the "glitch". Good news is the dealer didn't charge me anything to look at it.

MOPARManiac
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by MOPARManiac » Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:39 am

These damn lockers are going to drive me insane..

They'll work fine and the next time they won't work at all. Then the rear will lock, but the front won't. I have no idea, other than it is an electrical gremlin of some sort. I'd take it back to the dealer, but it will be a repeat of last time and they won't find any issues as well. They need to completely stop working in order to get them properly fixed.

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor
Model Year: 2011

Post by DamageWagon » Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:20 pm

Are you using them in dirt or asphalt? I’ve had it happen a few times the lockers don’t want to engage unless I get a moment of wheel spin in the dirt.

Also worth asking if you’ve taken any big hits on your front end or if you see odd tire wear? A bent axle is very possible and can be a factor.

Low_Sky
500_Posts
500_Posts
Model Year: 2015

Post by Low_Sky » Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:34 pm

If you wanna troubleshoot lockers, it may help to put the truck up on jack stands. Turn the locker switch, if it doesn’t lock right away go spin a tire on that axle by hand and it should lock right up (just needs a few degrees rotation). If it won’t lock up like that, you really have a problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
John
Alaska
2015 PW on 2.5" Thuren Kings
My build thread

Retired BLM Rig
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by Retired BLM Rig » Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:09 am

I don't know how fast you're moving when you try to engage your lockers, but activation is inhibited above 3 MPH. I turn my locker knob, then turn my steering wheel to cause rotational difference between the axles and just let the truck creep forward. Bingo every time!

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor
Model Year: 2011

Post by DamageWagon » Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:07 pm

Retired BLM Rig wrote:Bingo every time!
You must be very popular in the retirement home!! lol

MOPARManiac
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by MOPARManiac » Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:35 pm

They're back to screwing up again. When I turn the knob to lock the rear the unlocked light will flash along with the front locker light. Really odd flashing. I guess I'll take it back to the dealer and see if they can find anything wrong this time. Damn things, I'm really going to need them when the snow flies and if I'm still trying to get an Elk.

MOPARManiac
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by MOPARManiac » Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:37 pm

Retired BLM Rig wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:09 am
I don't know how fast you're moving when you try to engage your lockers, but activation is inhibited above 3 MPH. I turn my locker knob, then turn my steering wheel to cause rotational difference between the axles and just let the truck creep forward. Bingo every time!
That's how I've always done mine as well. There is something electrical going on that is messed up.

OffroadTreks

Post by OffroadTreks » Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:31 am

Hardwire has been one of the best mods to date. I just recommend everyone ditch the factory setup.
2015 Power Wagon Laramie - "ROCKLANDER"
-------
[Build Thread] [Instagram] [Youtube]
------
Full-Size Off-Road Events & Overland Adventures

PWJouster
250_Posts
250_Posts
Model Year: 2018

Post by PWJouster » Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:45 pm

if a plug and play harness comes on the market, i guaranty 90% of 2018 buyers will buy and install them.
that being said, your method makes hardwired look very easy.

i believe to daunting of an install for alot of people, who may just not have the time or experience.
or dont want to let a random tech fiddle with these parts.
2018 Powerwagon-6.4 Hemi
Nanny kill switch and Locker Bypasses
Thuren Tuned King 3.0 & 2.5 Pintop Stage 3/2
17 Method NV-Toyo RT 37
Evo On-Demand Air Swaybar Disconnect
S&B Intake-Mufflex-Magnaflow/resonator delete
SPOD Bantam
On-Board air ARB CKMTA12
Baja design and Rigid Industries
Purple Cranium Spider dif guards
Pedal Commander

olyelr
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by olyelr » Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:41 pm

BoldAdventure wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:31 am
Hardwire has been one of the best mods to date. I just recommend everyone ditch the factory setup.
Do you happen to have a video or any info on how you went about this? It seems like you posted something before, but it was on instagram or facebook where I could not view it. I would love to see what you did and how you got it done. I am done waiting for a plug and play setup. I could care less if I have to add extra switches, and cutting into the factory wiring doesn't really scare me much anymore.

Does you factory switch still operate as intended?
2016 Ram Power Wagon Laramie - Granite Crystal Metallic - Ramboxes - 35” AT3W - TazerRAM

OffroadTreks

Post by OffroadTreks » Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:44 pm

If I get a chance I'll combine the Instagram video into a solid video and put it on Youtube.
2015 Power Wagon Laramie - "ROCKLANDER"
-------
[Build Thread] [Instagram] [Youtube]
------
Full-Size Off-Road Events & Overland Adventures

olyelr
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by olyelr » Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:45 pm

BoldAdventure wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:44 pm
If I get a chance I'll combine the Instagram video into a solid video and put it on Youtube.
Thank ya sir :cheers: