2018 Power Wagon issues

If it's about Power Wagons, all generations, this is where it'll go. This is the original PWR Forum Power Wagon Technical Discussion Section. And this includes everything that doesn’t fit in any one of the other categories related to the truck goes here!
Selloutrr
Model Year: 2018

Re: 2018 Power Wagon issues

Post by Selloutrr » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:07 pm

I have to wait another 1-2 weeks to see if Chrysler will take it back before I lemon it and get lawyers involved. I guess as soon as I start the lemon law it stops the resolution team and starts over and the lawyer level.

OffroadTreks
Model Year: 2015

Post by OffroadTreks » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:26 pm

You are definitely in the minority with issues.
2015 Power Wagon Laramie - "ROCKLANDER"
-------
[Build Thread] [Instagram] [Youtube]
------
Full-Size Off-Road Events & Overland Adventures

Selloutrr

Post by Selloutrr » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:29 pm

I would hope so otherwise RAM would fail to exist. None the less the frustrating part is that RAM can’t fix it. Which removes my personal confidence in ownership of their products. I fully expected to drop off the truck the first time and get it back fixed. Not to be told “RAM has no approved fix”

Colibri
1000_Posts
1000_Posts
Model Year: 2009

Post by Colibri » Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:06 pm

Having worked as a dealership master tech for many years, I can say with absolute confidence that most technicians are incapable of fixing modern automobiles beyond the basics. They’re simply not trained or knowledgeable enough to tackle more esoteric issues. There are always exceptions but they’re rare. For something like you’re experiencing I wouldn’t be surprised if a field engineer had to get involved eventually.
Central Texas and Houston area
2009 5.7 auto quadcab
Carli 3” coils deaver leafs 3” kings with 4 tube bypass rear and fr/rr hydro bumps
Howe steering pump and gear with hydraulic ram assist
Custom tube bumpers and white knuckle sliders
Creative fab trussed axle. rem polished and cryoed 5.13 gears with arb lockers fr/rr
Sharadon stage 2 545rfe with 3000 stall edge converter
Lots of other stuff lol

Reloaderguy
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2016

Post by Reloaderguy » Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:51 pm

Selloutrr wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:03 pm
Can’t say I really care about the truck being gas or diesel. AES makes any RAM diesel into a Prospector so it was an option. What I am having a difficult time with is over all shamefully embarrassing fit to finish, and over all lack of accountability toward failing to manufacture a realizable truck. I will NEVER get to have idle time be an issue because I don’t trust taking this truck with it’s knoen issues (Let alone, the unknown ones). Anywhere roadside assistance can’t get to. IMHO the 2018 PW and RAM are a joke. I love what the truck could and should be, but I have zero confidence in the truck or Chrysler’s ability to service it. Which makes ownership no longer something I want to part of. After 7 trips to the dealer and 6weeks without the truck and no resolve to issues. Anyone considering buying a Power Wagon or a RAM in general should look at other options. If you still have to have one. Buy a used one because your NEW warranty is worthless.
Yesterday it failed to come out of park. Not to be sexist but the amount of strength to shift was more then most females could apply. (Just trying to make a visual of the amount of difficulty it takes to shift). Once it pops out of P it sounded like a box of rocks getting shook as it went through the PRND. (I took a video.. but I’m crazy it doesn’t have any issues says RAM...). Later the SXM radio stopped putting out volume. Switched to AM radio and it rebooted my iPhone. I can’t tell you how disappointed I am in this truck but not even the truck but the dealerships and corporate. The dealership can’t “hunt” for the issue they have to follow corporate guidelines. RAM “has no approved fix”. Seriously someone with the ability to read a schematic should be able to pin point the problem in the system diagram and fix this just based on the issues. Bad module, bad CPU, bad wire, bad ground... then meter continuity and look for a pinch wire. The issues all started after a drive down a road with some mild ruts. If this is the “build quality” it’s not off road quality. As for the computer side of things. I also own a Ford C-Max hybrid it is a computer. Zero issues ever! No wait the AC once shut off I took it in and in 30 minutes it was happy again. Even my Porsche Carrera is better built and more reliable then the Power Wagon, because when I have an issue they can fix it and the radio has always worked. All the research and reviews don’t tell you how little corporate cares about the quality of the build. I wish I had known. The last service tech. Basically told me I was crazy, making it up, and had buyers remorse and couldn’t afford the truck... WTF!? First off I bought it in cash out right. Second these issues are real look at the videos. The only things crazy about me is I bought an American truck and drive 5hrs to attempt to have it serviced by someone I thought wasn’t a piece of shit. It’s con isn’t for RAM to assume that because they can wash their hands and not have to swallow the fact their shit stinks. For these reasons I no longer want to own my Power Wagon or another RAM/chrslyer product.
I've only ever had one warranty related problem with my truck and the dealer/corporate experience mirrored yours. There is definitely a dealership culture problem. With that said, find another dealer you can trust. I drove 8 hours to a dealer I trusted. I don't know if that would help you but call around and see what other dealers have to say. You probably can't see it but FCA is taking the dealer's word which is why you're getting blown off. The dealer has a lot of pull and if they were going to bat for you your experience would be different.

Reloaderguy
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by Reloaderguy » Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:56 pm

Colibri wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:06 pm
For something like you’re experiencing I wouldn’t be surprised if a field engineer had to get involved eventually.
A field engineer/tech rep looked at my truck and said the lifter going out was how all the trucks sounded and it was normal. He also missed all of the loose intake manifold bolts. Unless the dealer knows what's wrong and can explain it to the tech rep, your truck isn't getting fixed.

stooper
Model Year: 2010

Post by stooper » Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:12 pm

I have dealt with “engineers” and they are a joke.
I feel bad that you, Reloaderguy and Selloutrr, have to go through these headaches. The main reasion i still wrench is figuring out “those” problems.
Like i said earlier, manufactures have bred this style of tech, parts throwers. They only get paid for putting on parts and pencil wiping.
If you want your truck fixed, find a reputable service departmant, otherwise, lemon it.
They are great trucks, i know, I have seen many bad ones, *cough, Ford, cough* but no one is without fault.

NickTF
250_Posts
250_Posts
Model Year: 2014

Post by NickTF » Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:29 am

You simply have to take an active active did I say ACTIVE role in trying to get anything repaired via warranty or it won't happen period. I too got the "this is normal" explanation when taking my truck to two separate dealers for a failing lifter/damaged cam which I was eventually able to get fixed by taking the "master tech" out to my truck and demonstrating the sound to him and taking him for a ride.

Selloutrr

Post by Selloutrr » Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:47 am

I have had the master certified 5 star tech work on the truck. However ALL he did and the service teams prior have done is reload software and read codes. Drive it for 40miles declare it fixed and demand I pick it up. Then it acts up for me shortly after picking it up. They claim they try to shift it a couple dozen times without issues. So I tried to shift it a couple dozen times and now the PRND sounds like a box of rocks be shook when you shift and the letters turn yellow but the more you do the smoother it gets.. I think it probably was stiff to shift and they forced it and then kept going over and over and by strong handing it they claimed it was fine. I just know that when I bought it i could shift with a single finger it was silent and smooth. Sometimes it still is other times it’s stiff, all the way to impossible for 208lbs to break free but “I’m making it up”. The last service tech told me to my face I was making it up and that I had buyers remorse and could afford the truck. I told him that he was right I do regret buying the truck, but it’s not about affording since I paid for it in cash outright. My buyers remorse is that it’s broken and it’s his job to fix it however he isn’t good enough at his job to figure out how.

On a side note: yesterday it was 115 degrees while driving the AC stopped blowing cold air it wasn’t hot it just wasn’t cold. Similar to my F150 when it had a leaky fitting. When I came back from my errands turned on the truck it was ice cold and fine the rest of the day.

Ultimately the part of all of this that bothers me is that in my professional life I represent 36 manufactures for authorized warranty service. I go above and beyond to make my customers happy and I take pride in what I do. So to see a corporation not care and create a system where they encourage their service teams to just phone it in and be lazy. I find it to be inexcusable. I wish we wouldn’t have bailed out Chrysler it’s clear they were failing for a reason.

Colibri
1000_Posts
1000_Posts
Model Year: 2009

Post by Colibri » Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:53 pm

Reloaderguy wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:56 pm
Colibri wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:06 pm
For something like you’re experiencing I wouldn’t be surprised if a field engineer had to get involved eventually.
A field engineer/tech rep looked at my truck and said the lifter going out was how all the trucks sounded and it was normal. He also missed all of the loose intake manifold bolts. Unless the dealer knows what's wrong and can explain it to the tech rep, your truck isn't getting fixed.
I agree, most field engineers aren’t any better than most techs. The point is to move it up the food chain, eventually he’ll get it fixed or bought back if he persists.
Central Texas and Houston area
2009 5.7 auto quadcab
Carli 3” coils deaver leafs 3” kings with 4 tube bypass rear and fr/rr hydro bumps
Howe steering pump and gear with hydraulic ram assist
Custom tube bumpers and white knuckle sliders
Creative fab trussed axle. rem polished and cryoed 5.13 gears with arb lockers fr/rr
Sharadon stage 2 545rfe with 3000 stall edge converter
Lots of other stuff lol

Selloutrr

Post by Selloutrr » Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:06 pm

Unfortunately everyone that’s touched it has been quick to move on. I can only assume because it’s warranty and they don’t get paid for the hours only a flat fee regardless of time. The master tech was no better as instead of causing it to fail he just started with software and wiped his hands of it in 8hrs. To me that seems like a pointless approach as the truck had just had its software reloaded and it made no positive fix prior to him doing it which had the same outcome.

Numbnuts
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by Numbnuts » Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:53 pm

Wow. Hearing this one story would keep me from buyin a new one.

My PW is great and the first dodge ram mopar vehicle I ever bought.

My next truck will be a HD 2500 GMC Duramax and probly the last vehicle I will ever buy for myself

Bbqman151

Post by Bbqman151 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:33 pm

I am thinking of buying one within the next year. I truly hope this is just a case of bad luck with this one. I know it's gotta suck having all those issues with a brand new truck. I'm like Numbnuts though. When I hear stories like this, it really makes me hesitant to spend close to 50k on a truck if they're just making junk. Somebody please tell me this is an exception and not the norm.

Reloaderguy
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by Reloaderguy » Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:51 pm

NickTF
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by NickTF » Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:55 pm

“It’s perfectly normal for the tailgate to open and cause a 15 car pile up just drive for a little longer and we will re-evaluate once a total of 20 cars are piled up. Did we mention we have a promo for 30% off on tire air changes?....”

Ramajama
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by Ramajama » Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:17 pm

2018 here. Ive had the B/U cam issue. After I park the truck and return, it starts working again. I think it has to do with it getting locked up or “lost” whenever there’s a “irregular” initial connection to car play. But I really don’t know, its just my personal anecdotal evidence. I’ve had the volume issue a few times. I still think its related to software. Ive owned 3 RAM trucks since the last 8.4 was introduced. 2013, 2014, 2015 models....not ONE single glitch. But this new 8.4 4C has a new operating system and what do ya know? ISSUES! LOL!
Honestly, its been a minor and infrequent problem...so far...and its worked great otherwise and I loves me some Apple Car Play.

There is a slight high pitched whine in the cab every once in awhile, its not a regular occurrence. Of course it didn’t happen when I told the dealership about it earlier this week. The only other “problem” Ive had is a annoying squeak/chirp in the rear suspension. They confirmed the squeak with me riding along in the truck and they are working on it now. It’s a daily driver and Ive taken two long road trips with trailer in tow of 2500 miles each this Summer and its been wonderful....knock wood.

None of these little issues that Ive had would deter me from doing it all over agin. Ive had a ton of trucks over the years and none have given me more pleasure to drive every day than this truck. It’s not even close.

All brands have issues occasionally and they are infuriating when they cant get them resolved. I’d be pissed too. Be mad all you want but I can assure you the the Power Wagon is not a POS or low on build quality....even though yours may be. Good luck man!
Last edited by Ramajama on Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2018 RAM 2500 Power Wagon :rockon:
2015 Land Rover Discovery Sport HSE Lux
2004 Land Rover Discovery II SE
2003 Land Rover Discovery II HSE7

Ramajama
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by Ramajama » Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:21 pm

Bbqman151 wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:33 pm
I am thinking of buying one within the next year. I truly hope this is just a case of bad luck with this one. I know it's gotta suck having all those issues with a brand new truck. I'm like Numbnuts though. When I hear stories like this, it really makes me hesitant to spend close to 50k on a truck if they're just making junk. Somebody please tell me this is an exception and not the norm.
See above post....

Ramajama
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by Ramajama » Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:48 am

Selloutrr wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:47 am
I have had the master certified 5 star tech work on the truck. However ALL he did and the service teams prior have done is reload software and read codes. Drive it for 40miles declare it fixed and demand I pick it up. Then it acts up for me shortly after picking it up. They claim they try to shift it a couple dozen times without issues. So I tried to shift it a couple dozen times and now the PRND sounds like a box of rocks be shook when you shift and the letters turn yellow but the more you do the smoother it gets.. I think it probably was stiff to shift and they forced it and then kept going over and over and by strong handing it they claimed it was fine. I just know that when I bought it i could shift with a single finger it was silent and smooth. Sometimes it still is other times it’s stiff, all the way to impossible for 208lbs to break free but “I’m making it up”. The last service tech told me to my face I was making it up and that I had buyers remorse and could afford the truck. I told him that he was right I do regret buying the truck, but it’s not about affording since I paid for it in cash outright. My buyers remorse is that it’s broken and it’s his job to fix it however he isn’t good enough at his job to figure out how.

On a side note: yesterday it was 115 degrees while driving the AC stopped blowing cold air it wasn’t hot it just wasn’t cold. Similar to my F150 when it had a leaky fitting. When I came back from my errands turned on the truck it was ice cold and fine the rest of the day.

Ultimately the part of all of this that bothers me is that in my professional life I represent 36 manufactures for authorized warranty service. I go above and beyond to make my customers happy and I take pride in what I do. So to see a corporation not care and create a system where they encourage their service teams to just phone it in and be lazy. I find it to be inexcusable. I wish we wouldn’t have bailed out Chrysler it’s clear they were failing for a reason.
Uhh, just so you know.....”we” bailed out all THREE of them. And guess what? They all STILL have issues. Even though we are seeing the most fabulously appointed vehicles the world has ever seen, they are still mechanical and they still act up and if you read over countless posts in countless brand forums there are countless posts just like yours. I know it frustrating to have problems with your brand new and expensive vehicle and as stated above I can sympathize with you but....again, this isn’t just a Chrysler problem. Just do what you gotta do to get yourself out of the vehicle and feel better, be it Lemon Law or trading it in, and move on. Good luck!

Reloaderguy
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by Reloaderguy » Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:03 am

Warranty repair is a total joke. If there isn't a gaping hole in the side of the engine your truck probably won't get fixed. Dealerships are filled with code reading parts swappers.

Bill2014
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by Bill2014 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:49 am

Reloaderguy wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:03 am
Warranty repair is a total joke. If there isn't a gaping hole in the side of the engine your truck probably won't get fixed. Dealerships are filled with code reading parts swappers.
:o
So sad, but true for the most part!
2014 Power Wagon Laramie
Titan V5 2.5" Receiver Pintle Hook
Warn wireless winch controller
.188" DOM White Knuckle Rock Sliders
Locker Bypass & Nanny Kill Switch

Moab 2006

rammit11
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by rammit11 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:11 pm

I agree that the dealerships of today are an absolute waste unless you need an oil change or a recall done. I have been thrown out of my selling dealer as they complained I had mine in too many times for the same thing and they swear nothing wrong and I had enough and let them know how I felt . I have also been told by the dealer general manger the same line about not liking the truck and they would buy it back. I have a 2016 and have driveability issues, lifters having a metallic tapping sound , and numerous service needed messages flash up on the evic screen. Most recent is the electronic throttle control fouled up and left me dead in the middle of the road almost getting rear ended twice. Ram put up a lifetime powertrain warranty to try and passify me about the lifters that the service dept manager told me to drive it till it breaks(wonder why I went off ) so they can figure out what was cauisng the noise.

TwinStick

Post by TwinStick » Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:09 pm

Selloutrr wrote:
Can’t say I really care about the truck being gas or diesel. AES makes any RAM diesel into a Prospector so it was an option. What I am having a difficult time with is over all shamefully embarrassing fit to finish, and over all lack of accountability toward failing to manufacture a realizable truck. I will NEVER get to have idle time be an issue because I don’t trust taking this truck with it’s knoen issues (Let alone, the unknown ones). Anywhere roadside assistance can’t get to. IMHO the 2018 PW and RAM are a joke. I love what the truck could and should be, but I have zero confidence in the truck or Chrysler’s ability to service it. Which makes ownership no longer something I want to part of. After 7 trips to the dealer and 6weeks without the truck and no resolve to issues. Anyone considering buying a Power Wagon or a RAM in general should look at other options. If you still have to have one. Buy a used one because your NEW warranty is worthless.
Yesterday it failed to come out of park. Not to be sexist but the amount of strength to shift was more then most females could apply. (Just trying to make a visual of the amount of difficulty it takes to shift). Once it pops out of P it sounded like a box of rocks getting shook as it went through the PRND. (I took a video.. but I’m crazy it doesn’t have any issues says RAM...). Later the SXM radio stopped putting out volume. Switched to AM radio and it rebooted my iPhone. I can’t tell you how disappointed I am in this truck but not even the truck but the dealerships and corporate. The dealership can’t “hunt” for the issue they have to follow corporate guidelines. RAM “has no approved fix”. Seriously someone with the ability to read a schematic should be able to pin point the problem in the system diagram and fix this just based on the issues. Bad module, bad CPU, bad wire, bad ground... then meter continuity and look for a pinch wire. The issues all started after a drive down a road with some mild ruts. If this is the “build quality” it’s not off road quality. As for the computer side of things. I also own a Ford C-Max hybrid it is a computer. Zero issues ever! No wait the AC once shut off I took it in and in 30 minutes it was happy again. Even my Porsche Carrera is better built and more reliable then the Power Wagon, because when I have an issue they can fix it and the radio has always worked. All the research and reviews don’t tell you how little corporate cares about the quality of the build. I wish I had known. The last service tech. Basically told me I was crazy, making it up, and had buyers remorse and couldn’t afford the truck... WTF!? First off I bought it in cash out right. Second these issues are real look at the videos. The only things crazy about me is I bought an American truck and drive 5hrs to attempt to have it serviced by someone I thought wasn’t a piece of shit. It’s con isn’t for RAM to assume that because they can wash their hands and not have to swallow the fact their shit stinks. For these reasons I no longer want to own my Power Wagon or another RAM/chrslyer product.

Sadly, this is NOT just a FCA problem, nor is it just an American truck problem. My Toyota dealer wants to void my warranty on our brand new 2017 4Runner, just because i installed an ARB 12v Fridge plug !!! It is 10Ga wire, double insulated, has a 15 amp inline fuse 6" from the battery. I asked them to show me what part of the install was incorrect....they could not. I showed them that ALL of the stock wiring to the 12v outlets was MUCH, MUCH smaller in diameter than what i used. Sad.

FYI, the Ford Fiesta-Focus-Fusion-Taurus & C-Max will be killed soon. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31SrVNtEut4

Complacency, poor attitude, lack of professionalism, lack of pride, & flat out laziness is the new normal in auto repair. Proven time & time again by Dealers nationwide & also the new dealer "catch phrase" of "It's on National Backorder". :wtf: does that even mean ??? To me. either 1) it was so poorly designed there have been so many failures that no one has it in stock, or 2) no one stocks anything UNTIL something goes bad---which is just bad business. All the new Ram 1500's with the fancy 12" dash display that have been having problems are being told "there is no fix at this time" !!! :wtf: Ha, imagine that----$65,000+, 2 weeks old & being told that !!! :angry:

RustyPW
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2008

Post by RustyPW » Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:43 pm

Ferb was having troubles with head gaskets on one eco-tech 4 banger. The problem was that the wrong head gasket was used on some vehicles. The issue wasn't showing up right away and it toasted a few motors. Plus remember the bent frames on the Rapturds. :rofl:
PWOC #53
2008 POWER WAGON RC

My build thread. http://forum.powerwagonregistry.org/vie ... =13&t=2826 :cash: :cash:

Moab '09, '10, '12, '14.
Rausch Creek - Summer '10, Spring-Fall '11, Spring '12, Summer '13, Summer '14, Summer '15, Summer '16, Summer '17, Summer '18, Summer '20, Summer '22,
AOAA Summer '19.

Russ
NRA - Benefactor, Golden Eagle. :lockedandloaded:

Reloaderguy
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by Reloaderguy » Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:58 am

All this negativity was harshing my Qi so I decided to call FCA for my monthly complaint review. I asked them why they don't seem to be bothered by a dealer defrauding them. She sent me a form to submit my unreimbursed expenses. Yeah, I'm still kind of pissed about the $800 I spent get my truck warrantied by a dealer eight hours away.

By the way, if you smash a dealer on Google reviews and include pictures of the damage they can't remove it.

scoutpappa
50_Posts
50_Posts
Model Year: 2017

Post by scoutpappa » Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:39 pm

TwinStick wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:09 pm
Selloutrr wrote:

Sadly, this is NOT just a FCA problem, nor is it just an American truck problem. My Toyota dealer wants to void my warranty on our brand new 2017 4Runner, just because i installed an ARB 12v Fridge plug !!! It is 10Ga wire, double insulated, has a 15 amp inline fuse 6" from the battery. I asked them to show me what part of the install was incorrect....they could not. I showed them that ALL of the stock wiring to the 12v outlets was MUCH, MUCH smaller in diameter than what i used. Sad.

FYI, the Ford Fiesta-Focus-Fusion-Taurus & C-Max will be killed soon. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31SrVNtEut4

Complacency, poor attitude, lack of professionalism, lack of pride, & flat out laziness is the new normal in auto repair. Proven time & time again by Dealers nationwide & also the new dealer "catch phrase" of "It's on National Backorder". :wtf: does that even mean ??? To me. either 1) it was so poorly designed there have been so many failures that no one has it in stock, or 2) no one stocks anything UNTIL something goes bad---which is just bad business. All the new Ram 1500's with the fancy 12" dash display that have been having problems are being told "there is no fix at this time" !!! :wtf: Ha, imagine that----$65,000+, 2 weeks old & being told that !!! :angry:
That's awesome. I installed a 12v plug in the bed for my edgestar. Wonder what FCA has to say about that. :duel: