A Few 05 Power Wagon Suspension Questions

Rob-Pod
50_Posts
50_Posts

A Few 05 Power Wagon Suspension Questions

Post by Rob-Pod » Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:54 pm

In a very short time I will be swapping my 05 PW Axles,
Suspension, and Winch over to my 2006 Hemi Mega Cab.

Would 4th or 5th Gen PW Suspensions be an Equal or Upgrade
direct bolt in swap? Same capabilities with equal/softer ride?

Coils
I wanted to know if there are any other option besides THUREN
Coils? I'm not looking for a huge lift or anything, I'm looking for
a good replacement coil spring that offers equal (or slight lift)
height but still a soft ride. I've read that THUREN Coils are stiff
on 3rd Gen PWs. My Coils ride great, but they have near 180K.

Any aftermarket coils that are the PW height, with a softer ride?

Control Arms
When it comes to aftermarket arms, what size "lift" lines up with
our factory lift? Down the road I may upgrade to aftermarket arms.

Rear Leafs
Are there any equal replacement leafs that offer all of the capabilities &
characteristics that I've come to know n love from my 05 PW suspension?

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor
Model Year: 2011

Re: A Few 05 Power Wagon Suspension Questions

Post by DamageWagon » Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:27 pm

2010-13 Suspension is identical to yours with some minor changes. 2014+ trucks are very different and realistically that is not a swap worth doing. You actually have the better suspension platform if you want to really build the truck.

There are many other options for coil springs but I can guarantee you your coils are the softest out there - nothing is softer than 13 year old sagged out PW springs! If Carli still makes the dual-rate coils those would be the best contender for a 3rd gen but you are riiiight on the limit for them to work properly with the winch. It’s easy to collapse the initial rate on their coils with extra weight and then they become quite firm, if you are planning for a heavy bumper you’d be better off with the Carli or Thuren linear rate coils instead of the dual-rates.

Control arms - if they’re in the budget, long arms are the tits. Vast improvement in ride quality. Short arms are way cheaper and allow better tire fitment with longer lasting joints. I like Thuren’s short and long arms, short arms are beefy and affordable, long arms are BEEFY and affordable in the realm of control arms, and both use an excellent cartridge joint he developed. Carli arms are just sexy!

Leaf springs! This is such an under-rated part of the truck. All the focus is on the front of the truck but it’s the rear that makes the biggest difference in ride quality. I like the Thuren LT leaves - much softer than PW leaves initially but ramp up to be very very stiff before bottoming. Lee Z here had about 5,000lbs in bed and hadn’t bottomed out, but the leaves are softer at ride height as well - killer combo, huge upgrade. Carli offers leaves as well but they are stiffer.

Also consider shock options and steering damper or hydro-assist.

Let me know if you’ve got deeper questions or concerns, I am a dealer/installer for Thuren but not for Carli.

Marcus
tech@dethloffmfg.com

Rob-Pod
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by Rob-Pod » Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:13 pm

No big ugly bumper, I like my Laramie cover.

I'm on 37s right now, n I will prolly be on 35s/37s for most of the time.

I have no desire for longer springs, or 5K in the bed. I have only n will
only use my trucks as 1500s. The most I do it is a KFX450R in the bed,
n car Trailer my Rustang/C6 Vette. The most I ever hauled in my truck
(Class A Professionally) was my Hemi Mega Cab (7K I think) on my 1500lbs
car trailer, but usually pull less then 5500lbs. I'm really looking to update
my 14 year old parts with almost 180K. But for umm (if I'm correct) $2,960
(before Tax, Shipping, Labor) I wont keep my newer truck long enough for
me to justify spending $4,000+ on a truck I will keep for maybe 3 years.

I'll do stock style shocks on it, maybe 1 or 2 steps up, but never $2,000+
shocks. Yes I'm an A$$Hole, but I don't keep cars/trucks long. I've had 65
(Trucks, Cars, Bikes, Quads) in 18 years. For 5 years the same 3 made due.

I'm more of a power guy, I'd like to swap in a 6.1 SRT8 engine (w/2 upgrades),
& a 78mm+/- before doing over $4,000 in suspension work for a tow truck/toy.

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor
Model Year: 2011

Post by DamageWagon » Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:25 pm

It doesn’t make you an asshole to not want to spend thousands on suspension. If you want a good ride just throw some Thuren Overland’s on and call it done.

Rob-Pod
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by Rob-Pod » Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:34 am

DamageWagon wrote:
Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:25 pm
It doesn’t make you an asshole to not want to spend thousands on suspension. If you want a good ride just throw some Thuren Overland’s on and call it done.
So for less $, I could get normal (Non Res) Bilstein 5100s in Summit for $75. But for
better performance & look Bilstein 5160s, Reservoirs are $125 more then Overlands.

In all honestly, I can prolly get Bilstein 5160s Locally for around $575 Out The Door.

RustyPW
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2008

Post by RustyPW » Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:31 am

If you are planning on only keeping the truck for 3 years or so. Don't do anything to it. You won't get your money back out of it. On the other hand.............

I just installed the 3" Thuren SoftRide front springs, The Carli High Clearance control arms, and Thuren rear shackles on my '08 3G RC/LB. The Thuren springs lifted the front about 2". It does ride a bit stiffer. I don't know how they will flex. Haven't had the PW offroad yet. There is ZERO rubbing on the Carli arms with 35's. I have the Thuren shackles set at 1.5". This leveled my PW. For shocks. I've had the Bilsteins 7100 on now for a few years. Time for an up-grade on them. Any higher on the lift. I would have to go long arm. The angles on the steering linkage and trackbar has given me some bump steer.

Carli makes 4 different front springs. Hemi and diesel. 3" and 6" lift. Thuren has specs list for a diesel Megacab at 2.875". With a Hemi. Think you would get a full 3" over a standard 2500.

Leaf spring will be some what a problem. The PW leafs will be too soft for you truck. Carli makes a couple of full spring packs. Thuren makes full spring packs. But they are on the soft side. You would have to give him a call.
PWOC #53
2008 POWER WAGON RC

My build thread. http://forum.powerwagonregistry.org/vie ... =13&t=2826 :cash: :cash:

Moab '09, '10, '12, '14.
Rausch Creek - Summer '10, Spring-Fall '11, Spring '12, Summer '13, Summer '14, Summer '15, Summer '16, Summer '17, Summer '18, Summer '20, Summer '22,
AOAA Summer '19.

Russ
NRA - Benefactor, Golden Eagle. :lockedandloaded: