Homemade Old School Plug and Play Locker Bypass

Discussions including Electrical / Lighting & Accessories / Onboard Air
Retired BLM Rig
1000_Posts
1000_Posts
Model Year: 2008

Re: Homemade Old School Plug and Play Locker Bypass

Post by Retired BLM Rig » Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:59 am

SolarDude wrote:The plug and play bypass kits that used to be available that allowed the use of the factory knob seemed pretty dialed but they don't seem to be available. What about just intercepting the wires coming from the diffs? Couldn't we just install toggle switches and just disregard the factory switch and all the mapping issues? If I was able to find factory plugs I could disconnect the factory pigtail and tuck it away so it could be reinstalled later and create a new pigtail with a new 12volt source?
Welcome to the forum SolarDude! If you're thinking about hardwiring your lockers, this is a connector you can use so you don't have to cut into your factory harness.

You should also be aware that there is a newer development in the works. :patriot:
Last edited by Retired BLM Rig on Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

ACBoomer
Model Year: 2016

Post by ACBoomer » Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:49 pm

Sorry, lost site info so have been off for awhile. Update on ohm reading... rechecked my truck 2+ years later and reading is 49.2 ohms with a Fluke 29 meter zeroed on low ohm scale with leads used in testing. My lockers work fine and swaybar disconnect also. Just stay below 25 mph. I haven't tried it with abs fuse pulled to see if that makes a difference with speed limitation, and haven't read any posts stating otherwise.

Retired BLM Rig
1000_Posts
1000_Posts
Model Year: 2008

Post by Retired BLM Rig » Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:04 am

ACBoomer wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:49 pm
Sorry, lost site info so have been off for awhile. Update on ohm reading... rechecked my truck 2+ years later and reading is 49.2 ohms with a Fluke 29 meter zeroed on low ohm scale with leads used in testing. My lockers work fine and swaybar disconnect also. Just stay below 25 mph. I haven't tried it with abs fuse pulled to see if that makes a difference with speed limitation, and haven't read any posts stating otherwise.
ACBoomer, good to hear from you again!

You are currently the only 14+ PW with a CAD and nannies that has this mod installed on your truck and you've had an opportunity to do some longterm testing, I'm curious to get your feedback.
How does the throttle mapping seem on your truck in bypass mode?
Have you experienced any banging or clunking from your front axle/center axle disconnect when you engage it?
Does the stability control system turn off sufficiently in faux low to allow you to do a donut in 2WD if you wanted?
Thanks for any info you can share. :popcorn:

ACBoomer

Post by ACBoomer » Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:08 pm

BLM rig, definitely don't flip the switch while moving... CAD will make all kinds of noises!!! but after bypass switch on, lock rear, front and swaybar no problem. I haven't used bypass mode that much and haven't (drove it like I stole It) much either, YET. I only have 20k on truck and finally starting to mod more. I have a k&n replacement air filter installed since truck was new. Also, this truck is filled with my business equipment for HVAC commercial and off-road equipment. (approximately 1500-1750#) Tried running with traction control off and fuel mileage dropped from 17.2 to 15.5 mpg, noticed when cruising downhill, won't freewheel. Just did Mufflex muffler, tried running without resonator and harmonics sucks @ 60-80mph. Installed resonator and harmonics are about 0. Waiting on some waterproof solenoids and switches, to cut ABS pump and get rid of all electronic nannies. Will let you know more on throttle mapping with only bypass used... I'll pay more attention to truck response ect.

PWJouster
250_Posts
250_Posts
Model Year: 2018

Post by PWJouster » Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:56 am

ACBoomer wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:08 pm
Just did Mufflex muffler, tried running without resonator and harmonics sucks @ 60-80mph. Installed resonator and harmonics are about 0.
i find i can cruise just fine on the highway with the same setup. and i drive 45-85MPH extended lengths with traffic patterns.

where did you chop the resonator and what did you do for a tip or flow direction?

i have mine chopped with a bolt on tip pointed somewhat down and to the passenger rear corner.
it causes harmonics under the bed but i love it. this will certainly change the interior cab noise quite a bit, but at no point is it overwhelming.
I NEVER USE MDS. MDS/ECO causes serious drone at any speed...its ridiculous
2018 Powerwagon-6.4 Hemi
Nanny kill switch and Locker Bypasses
Thuren Tuned King 3.0 & 2.5 Pintop Stage 3/2
17 Method NV-Toyo RT 37
Evo On-Demand Air Swaybar Disconnect
S&B Intake-Mufflex-Magnaflow/resonator delete
SPOD Bantam
On-Board air ARB CKMTA12
Baja design and Rigid Industries
Purple Cranium Spider dif guards
Pedal Commander

ACBoomer

Post by ACBoomer » Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:47 am

I'm still running w/mds so drone was irritating. I tried running with just mufflex, no tail pipe... didn't want to cut resonator pipe, did that on my charger and had tail pipes made to exit in same location, ran w/o mds , charger was too loud so I didn't want to chance that with the PW. I don't have a programmer to delete mds or change shift points, yet. Not interested in flashing ecm, have another 3 years on warranty.