Coming out of gear?

If it's about Power Wagons, all generations, this is where it'll go. This is the original PWR Forum Power Wagon Technical Discussion Section. And this includes everything that doesn’t fit in any one of the other categories related to the truck goes here!
JackSprat
Model Year: 2016

Coming out of gear?

Post by JackSprat » Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:20 pm

Hey guys,
I had my transmission serviced, they replaced the pan filter and gasket along with the cooler "spin on" filter. This was done approx a week and half ago. Three days ago after I pulled a 21ft trailer (Toy hauler) a few miles (I brought it out of storage), the truck then sat for a few hours after the pull. I started it up, put in drive and it wouldn't engage drive fully (it felt like it was in gear real soft like, it didn't really want to move forward -- like it was low on fluid, then after a few seconds it engaged and performed like normal). I should have checked the fluid level at that time but didn't think to much about it as I thought maybe because I put it under a load from pulling that trailer, it was just equilibrating since the tranny service. It acted normal after that
Well, it did it again last night after I drove two hours to a destination. I let the truck sit for approx 2 hours, I came back outside and started it, put her in drive and the same thing happened (went into gear real soft like, I'd give it gas <not much> and it inched forward, like it was "low" on fluid). So I let it warm up a few minutes and put her in gear and it felt normal. I then drove to the nearest lighted up gas station and popped the hood. I checked the fluid level and it was down below the top "indicator" hole on the dip stick. I didn't want to use just any fluid from the gas station and figured "one" hole low on the dipstick would be ok to "walk" her home. It acted normal all the way home (although I did not push her hard).
I went out this morning and checked the fluid level "cold". I wiped the dip stick clean and put it back in all the way and pulled it out to check it, it was about an inch above the top indicator marker (How is that possible?). I put the dip stick in again and checked it another time, same answer. I then started it up and let it warm up to temp, then drove around the block and checked it again when it was at operating temperature. The level was as it was last night, one Indicator marker "low". :doh:
So, does anybody have an idea whats going on?
I did not do the service myself, I do not know what type of filter's or fluid they used.
I spoke just with the owner of the shop and he asked me to bring it in tomorrow (Monday) and he would put it on the lift and drop the pan to see if anything is immediately apparent (super nice man willing to work with me to figure this out, he even said if he had to, that he would tow it to the local dodge dealer and have them go thru it (on his dime) if he can't "see" something was done wrong (My local Dodge/Ram dealer is 65 miles away) (Welcome to Wyoming). ;)
He assured me his team used quality fluid that was Dodge/Ram compatible and the same with the filter's.
2016 PW 6.4 w/34,000 miles (I love my PW!). :D
I've seen no visible leaks.
If anybody has an idea whats up, I'd like to share it with him so he has more information to help figure this out. :idea:

Pit Slave
Vendor
Vendor
Location: Sandy, Utah.. Moab, Jersey, Space Station, Baja.....

Re: Coming out of gear?

Post by Pit Slave » Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:37 pm

First off, in order to check the fluid at cold temps, the truck needs to be running, parking brake on, transmission in neutral.

What you are describing is "delayed engagement" of the transmission. It could be low fluid or a defective pickup/filter or both. It has happened in the past that the pickup/filter would crack with certain after market units. It's why it is recommended to use a MoPar pickup/filter type unit. The spin on filter is not know to be an issue on these transmissions.
Nothing's more dead than a horse in a glue bottle.Image

There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation.
One is by the sword. The other is by debt.
John Adams - 1826

I guess you could say I'm a bit off center.....:D

JackSprat

Post by JackSprat » Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:46 pm

I agree on the "delayed engagement", i couldn't figure out how to change the title after I submitted.

We are going to switch to a Mopar filter/gasket when he drops the pan on Monday.
I will try the procedure you described this evening for the cold level check and see what it reads.
Thanks!

RustyPW
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2008

Post by RustyPW » Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:02 pm

A while back. This was a big issue with using aftermarket non-Mopar tranny filters. The one filter gets pushed up into the tranny. The o-ring that comes with the filter is the wrong size, and lets the filter drop down after a period of time. It's best to use the Mopar tranny filter to eliminate this problem.
PWOC #53
2008 POWER WAGON RC

My build thread. http://forum.powerwagonregistry.org/vie ... =13&t=2826 :cash: :cash:

Moab '09, '10, '12, '14.
Rausch Creek - Summer '10, Spring-Fall '11, Spring '12, Summer '13, Summer '14, Summer '15, Summer '16, Summer '17, Summer '18, Summer '20, Summer '22,
AOAA Summer '19.

Russ
NRA - Benefactor, Golden Eagle. :lockedandloaded:

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor
Model Year: 2011

Post by DamageWagon » Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:29 pm

Just like Rusty said, first thing that comes to my mind is the flat-style filter’s O-ring. If that O-ring is lost during the filter change and not replaced it could be bad news, as you’re getting bypass of air sucked in instead of purely oil.

JackSprat

Post by JackSprat » Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:51 pm

Ok, I checked the fluid level "cold" after I started it up and put it in neutral. The temp was approx 90 degrees. It was a 1/16 of an inch below the third indicator.
I warned it up to approx 150 degrees and checked the level, it was covering the third indicator and leaving the 4th hole empty as it did last night.
The owner of the shop is going to send a team member to pick up a Mopar filter kit in the morning and change it out again.
If it fixes the issue, lesson learned.
Thank you Rusty and Pit Slave for the information, I hope its as easy a solution as to stick with the Mopar brand kit.

JackSprat

Post by JackSprat » Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:13 pm

Thanks "DamageWagon", it kinda makes sense what yinz are describing as the possible issue. Seeing how three of you guys all lit up on the same "solve", it makes me feel pretty secure that this is what is happening (the timing of events helps point to this).
The shop used "CarQuest" product, so this very well could be the issue.
It'll be changed out tomorrow with a Mopar filter kit.
If I experience it again after this, I'll be back to bounce ideas off you guys again.

olyelr
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by olyelr » Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:07 pm

My '06 Dodge 2500 always did this. After it sat a few hours or more, as soon as I started it up I would have to wait 10-15 seconds before I put it in gear, otherwise it would just sit there like it was in neutral and then eventually slowly slide into gear. All the reading up I did on it lead me to the filter in the trans pan like the others have stated.
2016 Ram Power Wagon Laramie - Granite Crystal Metallic - Ramboxes - 35” AT3W - TazerRAM

:patriot:

Colibri
1000_Posts
1000_Posts
Model Year: 2009

Post by Colibri » Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:05 am

I’m late to the party, but with the same advice lol.
Central Texas and Houston area
2009 5.7 auto quadcab
Carli 3” coils deaver leafs 3” kings with 4 tube bypass rear and fr/rr hydro bumps
Howe steering pump and gear with hydraulic ram assist
Custom tube bumpers and white knuckle sliders
Creative fab trussed axle. rem polished and cryoed 5.13 gears with arb lockers fr/rr
Sharadon stage 2 545rfe with 3000 stall edge converter
Lots of other stuff lol

RustyPW
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by RustyPW » Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:22 am

JackSprat wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:13 pm
Thanks "DamageWagon", it kinda makes sense what yinz are describing as the possible issue. Seeing how three of you guys all lit up on the same "solve", it makes me feel pretty secure that this is what is happening (the timing of events helps point to this).
The shop used "CarQuest" product, so this very well could be the issue.
It'll be changed out tomorrow with a Mopar filter kit.
If I experience it again after this, I'll be back to bounce ideas off you guys again.
"Yinz". You from Pittsburgh? That is the only area that uses that word. :lol:

Years ago on the DodgeTalk forum. Around 2009 ~2010. Almost everyone who changed their tranny filters with aftermarket filters had problems. This was about the time when the 3G's had enough mileage on them to do a tranny service. It was a big deal then with people bitching.
PWOC #53
2008 POWER WAGON RC

My build thread. http://forum.powerwagonregistry.org/vie ... =13&t=2826 :cash: :cash:

Moab '09, '10, '12, '14.
Rausch Creek - Summer '10, Spring-Fall '11, Spring '12, Summer '13, Summer '14, Summer '15, Summer '16, Summer '17, Summer '18, Summer '20, Summer '22,
AOAA Summer '19.

Russ

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor
Model Year: 2011

Post by DamageWagon » Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:24 pm

Colibri wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:05 am
I’m late to the party, but with the same advice lol.
Showing up to a party with the same kind of beer isn’t unwelcome :chug: :chug:

Reloaderguy
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by Reloaderguy » Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:16 pm

You guys know how to party.

JackSprat

Post by JackSprat » Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:32 am

So the "swap" to a Mopar kit happened today (yea)!
If it happens again I'll know something is up.
The tech that performed the swap said the instruction in the Mopar kit were very explicit and described that the O-ring must be inserted first before the filter (no "stacking"). He thinks the last tech probably did not insert it in that fashion (although it was an aftermarket kit). Regardless, the proper kit and installation process was followed to a "T"!
Thanks for all the information, I feel pretty good this should nip it in the butt.

RustyPW ---> You got it! :rockon:

Party on :cheers:

RustyPW
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by RustyPW » Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:59 am

JackSprat wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:32 am
So the "swap" to a Mopar kit happened today (yea)!
If it happens again I'll know something is up.
The tech that performed the swap said the instruction in the Mopar kit were very explicit and described that the O-ring must be inserted first before the filter (no "stacking"). He thinks the last tech probably did not insert it in that fashion (although it was an aftermarket kit). Regardless, the proper kit and installation process was followed to a "T"!
Thanks for all the information, I feel pretty good this should nip it in the butt.

RustyPW ---> You got it! :rockon:

Party on :cheers:
Good to here.

Steelers fan?
PWOC #53
2008 POWER WAGON RC

Moab '09, '10, '12, '14.
AOAA Summer '19.

Russ