Aev snorkel and S&B Intake

If it's about Power Wagons, all generations, this is where it'll go. This is the original PWR Forum Power Wagon Technical Discussion Section. And this includes everything that doesn’t fit in any one of the other categories related to the truck goes here!
PWJouster
250_Posts
250_Posts
Model Year: 2018

Aev snorkel and S&B Intake

Post by PWJouster » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:43 am

anyone running the two together?

as far as i know, the s&B utilizes the same intake path as OEM, i would assume the AEV also utilizes the OEM intake design and the two should work together without any additional modification necessary?

there is a non powerwagon around here that is driving me crazy as i pass him everyday on the way to work and he just cruises down the street ready to take on any water crossing that forms in this low lying state.

the aev snorkel looks increadible but i need to get the S&B on there as well.
2018 Powerwagon-6.4 Hemi
Nanny kill switch and Locker Bypasses
Thuren Tuned King 3.0 & 2.5 Pintop Stage 3/2
17 Method NV-Toyo RT 37
Evo On-Demand Air Swaybar Disconnect
S&B Intake-Mufflex-Magnaflow/resonator delete
SPOD Bantam
On-Board air ARB CKMTA12
Baja design and Rigid Industries
Purple Cranium Spider dif guards
Pedal Commander

OffroadTreks
Model Year: 2015

Re: Aev snorkel and S&B Intake

Post by OffroadTreks » Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:00 am

They work together. We had this discussion on the FB Group.
2015 Power Wagon Laramie - "ROCKLANDER"
-------
[Build Thread] [Instagram] [Youtube]
------
Full-Size Off-Road Events & Overland Adventures

PWJouster
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by PWJouster » Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:08 pm

wow...i guess i need to start up a facebook addiction again....

im a member but dont utilize it... whats the best way to locate the discussion
2018 Powerwagon-6.4 Hemi
17 Method NV-Toyo RT 37
SPOD Bantam
On-Board air ARB CKMTA12
Pedal Commander

OffroadTreks

Post by OffroadTreks » Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:44 pm

A forum is a useful tool. But there is more "noise" on the facebook group. But a bunch of us are more active on those pages. Helping n00bs or making fun of the stupid that abounds.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/860573913997932/

&

https://www.facebook.com/groups/offroadpowerwagon/

&

https://www.facebook.com/groups/PowerWagonRegistry/

The little inlet into the airbox gets chucked anyways. AEV completely replaces the part going into your fender.
-------
------

DocPaulo
50_Posts
50_Posts
Model Year: 2014

Post by DocPaulo » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:27 am

Anybody have pics of the sb and aev intake installed together
14 Laramie PowerWagon Desert Brown
Black 17 PW wheels with Falken AT3W 315/70/17
DIABLOSPORT T1000 canned tunes
Auxbeam 42 curved lightbar
Firestone airbags with daystar cradles
Maghytec transmission pan, carli front diff armor, rock crusher rear diff cover
Diamondback tonneau with crossbin
RANCHO 9000XL suspension
EMF ball joints
WhiteKnuckle sliders (on order)

OffroadTreks

Post by OffroadTreks » Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:41 pm

DocPaulo wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:27 am
Anybody have pics of the sb and aev intake installed together
It's not going to show you anything. I have the K&N and AEV and if I went out there and took a picture, you wouldn't be able to tell anything. The inlet is buried in the bottom and hard to see, all that crap in the engine bay on that side.
-------
------

Reloaderguy
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2016

Post by Reloaderguy » Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:48 pm

Why do even want the S&B? Any flow gains (LOL) are lost hooking up the extra 4' plastic tubing.

PWJouster
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by PWJouster » Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:05 pm

the stock flat filter has to be a restriction. any cone that size is going to flow better...

Aev reduces flow, S&B equalizes it....i guess...
i love the waterproofness of the snorkel, along with dirt filtration and cooler air, and the clear top of the S and B allows me to inspect without removal of the top
2018 Powerwagon-6.4 Hemi
17 Method NV-Toyo RT 37
SPOD Bantam
On-Board air ARB CKMTA12
Pedal Commander

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor
Model Year: 2011

Post by DamageWagon » Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:11 pm

It’s a gas engine. Air restriction does not really seem to be an issue. You’re already taking a huge hit putting that snorkel on and I really like the WIX stock filters.

I’m kicking around the idea of plumbing a Donaldson PowerCore filter that’s old surplus from an MRAP, they’re about $100 on eBay including the filter and they have a cyclone built into the filter with a drain at the base so it acts similarly to the big pre-filter unit you can buy for the AEV snorkel. It’s a really big filter unit but I think t should fit fine where the stock filter goes

Colibri
1000_Posts
1000_Posts
Model Year: 2009

Post by Colibri » Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:38 pm

DamageWagon wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:11 pm
It’s a gas engine. Air restriction does not really seem to be an issue. You’re already taking a huge hit putting that snorkel on and I really like the WIX stock filters.

I’m kicking around the idea of plumbing a Donaldson PowerCore filter that’s old surplus from an MRAP, they’re about $100 on eBay including the filter and they have a cyclone built into the filter with a drain at the base so it acts similarly to the big pre-filter unit you can buy for the AEV snorkel. It’s a really big filter unit but I think t should fit fine where the stock filter goes
I’ve been thinking of that same damn thing! I think it would work great if it could fit with aftermarket shock towers
Central Texas and Houston area
2009 5.7 auto quadcab
Carli 3” coils deaver leafs 3” kings with 4 tube bypass rear and fr/rr hydro bumps
Howe steering pump and gear with hydraulic ram assist
Custom tube bumpers and white knuckle sliders
Creative fab trussed axle. rem polished and cryoed 5.13 gears with arb lockers fr/rr
Sharadon stage 2 545rfe with 3000 stall edge converter
Lots of other stuff lol

Reloaderguy
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by Reloaderguy » Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:56 pm

PWJouster wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:05 pm
the stock flat filter has to be a restriction. any cone that size is going to flow better...

i love the waterproofness of the snorkel, along with dirt filtration and cooler air, and the clear top of the S and B allows me to inspect without removal of the top
"Has to be"? Change the filter element then. Any system that retains the stock inlet port doesn't flow any better than stock.

NovA ProspekT
50_Posts
50_Posts
Model Year: 2007

Post by NovA ProspekT » Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:19 pm

Reloaderguy wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:56 pm
PWJouster wrote:

"Has to be"? Change the filter element then. Any system that retains the stock inlet port doesn't flow any better than stock.
Has anyone proven that the factory Hemi air-intake is actually a restriction? I'm sure the engineers at FCA sized the intake properly. Unless the engine has been modified to the point that it requires more air and/or you're engine is running at 5,000+ RPM on a regular basis, save your money.
2007 DODGE POWER WAGON: 5.7L Hemi V8/Auto, Quad Cab, Flame Red
- Spintech Super Pro Street 9000 Muffler, Electronic Exhaust Cutout, Transgo Shift-Kit
- COOPER S/T MAXX(37x12.5R17), Carli High Clearance Control Arms, Carli HD Ball-joints
- Aluminess Front Bumper, Back Rack w/ Side-rails, Truxedo LoPro QT Tonneau Cover
- JW Speaker TS4000 Driving Lights, Grote 30" LED Off-road Light Bar, Bosch Compact 100 Fog Lights
2004 JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE OVERLAND: 4.7L High Output PowerTech V8, Quadra-Drive, Inferno Red
- OME HD 1.5" Lift Coil Springs, Bilstein 5100 Shocks, JKS HD Trackbar, Core4x4 Tier4 Control Arms
- Nokian Hakkapeliitta 9 SUV(245/70R17) Winter Tires, 3" Exhaust w/ Magnaflow Cats/Y-Pipe & Muffler
- JW Speaker TS4000 Driving Lights, Hella 350 LED Wide Beam Light Bar
1998 JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE 5.9 LIMITED: 5.9L Magnum R/T V8, Quadra-Trac, Deep Slate Black
- H&R Sport Progressive Springs w/spacers(Stock height), Bilstein 4600 Shocks, OEM Euro Headlamps
- Doug Thorley Tri-Y Long-tube headers, MOPAR M1 Intake, BBK Power Plus twin 52mm Throttle Body
[My Flickr] - [Power Wagon Build Thread]
“The death-knell of the republic had rung as soon as the active power became lodged in the hands of those who sought, not to do justice to all citizens, rich and poor alike, but to stand for one special class and for its interests as opposed to the interests of others.” ~ Theodore Roosevelt

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor

Post by DamageWagon » Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:31 pm

The inlet tube from filter to engine is huge for a gas engine. There will be restriction from any filter element. I don’t worry about restriction between my filter and the outside air because I have a gaping hole in my air box. In fact my engine breathes King Shock air so it goes faster.

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor

Post by DamageWagon » Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:32 pm

Colibri wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:38 pm
DamageWagon wrote:

I’ve been thinking of that same damn thing! I think it would work great if it could fit with aftermarket shock towers
Heck yeah dude! I think there’s a ton of room between the tower and the hood, you can go up quite a bit. Can also go onboard closer to the engine. Part of the perk is that those PowerCore filters are amazing, the air flow of that unit is massive

DocPaulo
50_Posts
50_Posts
Model Year: 2014

Post by DocPaulo » Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:44 am

Reloaderguy wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:48 pm
Why do even want the S&B? Any flow gains (LOL) are lost hooking up the extra 4' plastic tubing.
Good point
14 Laramie PowerWagon Desert Brown
Black 17 PW wheels with Falken AT3W 315/70/17
DIABLOSPORT T1000 canned tunes
Auxbeam 42 curved lightbar
Firestone airbags with daystar cradles
Maghytec transmission pan, carli front diff armor, rock crusher rear diff cover
Diamondback tonneau with crossbin
RANCHO 9000XL suspension
EMF ball joints
WhiteKnuckle sliders (on order)

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor

Post by DamageWagon » Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:12 am

PowerCore or bust! Unless you already have a snorkel because that shit is kind of cool

olyelr
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by olyelr » Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:04 am

Reloaderguy wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:48 pm
Well wouldnt that bebetter than just flow loss?
2016 Ram Power Wagon Laramie - Granite Crystal Metallic - Ramboxes - 35” AT3W - TazerRAM

:patriot:

PWJouster
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by PWJouster » Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:15 am

DamageWagon wrote:

on my previous jeep, i was going to fab a powercore or similir filter unit with a topspin to match a NON Aev snorkel. never transpired, but i am going to try the prefilter cyclone unit for the AEV. completely watertight with a cone filter.
Tons of rain in fl and most trails/gravel high grade can dry up quickly and be extremely dusty in groups.

you mean to tell me..... if i open up the exhaust, its not worth opening up the flow for the intake? (i really just want to hear it more)
the S&B unit looks well designed. the clear top cover is perfect in use with a snorkel when taking water ingestion risks often when your traversing bogged out south florida. the secondary air access removable panel is cool too.
axle breathers and electrical watertightness are going to be addressed. i do differential fluid swaps every 10k miles if ive been spending every weekend under water.

i do plan on doing whatever tuning i can as soon as its out and proven.
2018 Powerwagon-6.4 Hemi
17 Method NV-Toyo RT 37
SPOD Bantam
On-Board air ARB CKMTA12
Pedal Commander

PWJouster
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by PWJouster » Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:21 am

Reloaderguy wrote:
PWJouster wrote:

stock inlet or not. on the track, i saw improvements with a velocity stack alone added to a cone filter in a previous car.
the corrugated intake tube on the stock intake must create turbulence and inefficiency. ive never been formally educated in this area, but i have read many many documents. everything points at a closed cone filter with higher CFM and less turbulence as beneficial, even if minor, when used with further tuning and exhaust improvements.
2018 Powerwagon-6.4 Hemi
17 Method NV-Toyo RT 37
SPOD Bantam
On-Board air ARB CKMTA12
Pedal Commander

PWJouster
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by PWJouster » Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:24 am

NovA ProspekT wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:19 pm
Reloaderguy wrote:
PWJouster wrote:

Has anyone proven that the factory Hemi air-intake is actually a restriction? I'm sure the engineers at FCA sized the intake properly. Unless the engine has been modified to the point that it requires more air and/or you're engine is running at 5,000+ RPM on a regular basis, save your money.
i drive like an ass.....i spend more time then most in that range on the road, and mudbogging in SFL in 4 lo to keep moving is great but i end up revving high for extended periods.
2018 Powerwagon-6.4 Hemi
17 Method NV-Toyo RT 37
SPOD Bantam
On-Board air ARB CKMTA12
Pedal Commander