Suspension question...again

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor
Model Year: 2011

Re: Suspension question...again

Post by DamageWagon » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:08 pm

Get that skid plate in yet? Hahaha

The truss seems a lot more necessary on the 14+ trucks than the earlier trucks. The earlier trucks go tube-diff-tube, and that’s pretty much all that’s going to bend unless you hit really hard and then you can bend the upper ‘C’ of the knuckle. On the new trucks it’s tube-CAD-tube-diff-tube. There’s more joints in there AND you have stiffer bump stops for some reason. The new trucks bend much easier.

yellowranger1
250_Posts
250_Posts
Model Year: 2014

Post by yellowranger1 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:37 pm

DamageWagon wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:08 pm
Get that skid plate in yet? Hahaha

The truss seems a lot more necessary on the 14+ trucks than the earlier trucks. The earlier trucks go tube-diff-tube, and that’s pretty much all that’s going to bend unless you hit really hard and then you can bend the upper ‘C’ of the knuckle. On the new trucks it’s tube-CAD-tube-diff-tube. There’s more joints in there AND you have stiffer bump stops for some reason. The new trucks bend much easier.
Yeah man! Even posted some pics to my story on IG, I love it! Good point about the added joints in the new front ends... More potential points for failure.

Chromolykid
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by Chromolykid » Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:25 am

TankerZak wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:24 pm
Post pic.

20171229_124519.jpg
Is this with Thuren rear coils as well?

I’m on 0.5” Thuren fronts and stock rears but feel it has a little too much rake. However, every 1.5” truck I see seems a little nose-high for my taste, especially with the weight of anything in the bed. So I’m considering Thuren rears just because I run around with a Rambox loaded with recovery gear anyways, and am hoping the softer rate will squat a little more. Has anybody compared Don’s rear coils to stock? I know his site says “little to no lift” but some feedback from people who have them would be much appreciated.
“Furiosa”
2016 Power Wagon
White Knuckle Sliders
Walker Evans Wheels in 35” BFG KM3’s
DOR Steering Brace
Thuren Stage 1 KING 2.5’s
Thuren Coils Front & Rear
Thuren Track Bars Front & Rear
Thuren King Steering Stabilizer
Dethloff Swaybar Spacers
Thuren Swaybar Links Front & Rear
AEV Procal
Carli Front Diff Guard/Purple Cranium Half Spider Rear
Putco LED Headlights & Foglights
Custom Fender Flares and Grill

ramv
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by ramv » Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:41 am

Super sharp truck. Especially with the upgrade. 2 beers -- 4 hours?? The math is off for me on that. Sounds like you like warm beer and being overly sober
2016 Laramie; 5.13s, Locker Bypass, WK sliders, 35" Toyo MT, 2Lo Kit, ProCal, Hemifever tune, Airbags/Cradles, Thuren 2.5" King w/ Boogie Bumps, Warn SDP6000

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor

Post by DamageWagon » Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:35 am

Chromolykid wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:25 am
TankerZak wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:24 pm
Post pic.

20171229_124519.jpg

I’m on 0.5” Thuren fronts and stock rears but feel it has a little too much rake. However, every 1.5” truck I see seems a little nose-high for my taste, especially with the weight of anything in the bed. So I’m considering Thuren rears just because I run around with a Rambox loaded with recovery gear anyways, and am hoping the softer rate will squat a little more. Has anybody compared Don’s rear coils to stock? I know his site says “little to no lift” but some feedback from people who have them would be much appreciated.
The Thuren fears are softer and taller than the stock rear PW coils. If you had a Thuren 2.75” front the tears with no load in the bed would put you level, so with the shorter front coils you’ll still have some rake but it will be a touch less and it will be much softer, so probably a nice upgrade! Let me know if you need Thuren parts.

olyelr
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2016

Post by olyelr » Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:07 am

DamageWagon wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:35 am

Let me know if you need Thuren parts.

:popcorn:
2016 Ram Power Wagon Laramie - Granite Crystal Metallic - Ramboxes - 35” AT3W - TazerRAM

:patriot:

OffroadTreks
Model Year: 2015

Post by OffroadTreks » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:45 am

Chromolykid wrote:

Go see my build thread, I just posted about this. I'm running Thuren's front and rear coils now. And did a bunch of measurements, with various weights in the bed, and posted pictures. I think Thuren's coils, even though they are softer, are a MUCH BETTER (improper English, don't care) ride overall, day to day even with some stuff in the bed of the vehicle.

:cheers:
2015 Power Wagon Laramie - "ROCKLANDER"
-------
[Build Thread] [Instagram] [Youtube]
------
Full-Size Off-Road Events & Overland Adventures

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor

Post by DamageWagon » Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:55 am

olyelr wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:07 am
DamageWagon wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:35 am

Let me know if you need Thuren parts.

:popcorn:
I am a dealer for Thuren suspension. I answer questions for a lot of people and have pushed his stuff for a while because I believe in it, and Don gave me the opportunity. If you need any Thuren parts I’m happy to get them for you.

olyelr
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by olyelr » Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:55 pm

DamageWagon wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:55 am

I am a dealer for Thuren suspension. I answer questions for a lot of people and have pushed his stuff for a while because I believe in it, and Don gave me the opportunity. If you need any Thuren parts I’m happy to get them for you.
:rockon: Now thats what Im talking about.

I may just be getting a hold of you this summer :cheers:
2016 Ram Power Wagon Laramie - Granite Crystal Metallic - Ramboxes - 35” AT3W - TazerRAM

Chromolykid
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by Chromolykid » Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:34 pm

MikeKey wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:45 am
Chromolykid wrote:

Go see my build thread, I just posted about this. I'm running Thuren's front and rear coils now. And did a bunch of measurements, with various weights in the bed, and posted pictures. I think Thuren's coils, even though they are softer, are a MUCH BETTER (improper English, don't care) ride overall, day to day even with some stuff in the bed of the vehicle.

:cheers:
Thanks, I did see your thread when I searched, good info there. I’m estimating I should expect similar results from Don’s rear coils on my truck, since you’re 1” taller front and rear (if you have the spacer installed, which I believe you do). Though I wish you had taken measurements on stock coils to compare to, I’ll be sure to post some when I swap mine.
“Furiosa”
2016 Power Wagon
White Knuckle Sliders
DOR Steering Brace
Dethloff Swaybar Spacers
AEV Procal

OffroadTreks

Post by OffroadTreks » Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:05 pm

Chromolykid wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:34 pm

Thanks, I did see your thread when I searched, good info there. I’m estimating I should expect similar results from Don’s rear coils on my truck, since you’re 1” taller front and rear (if you have the spacer installed, which I believe you do). Though I wish you had taken measurements on stock coils to compare to, I’ll be sure to post some when I swap mine.
I took measurements of the RTT and squat when we did that and what happened in the rear there. It's so close. Honestly, they are softer but you're talking about a few quarters difference in the squat between both.

Yes, 1-inch spacer, the attached however is without it. These are the first measurements, add one inch, and then compare >>
measurements.jpg
-------
------

Chromolykid
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by Chromolykid » Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:32 pm

MikeKey wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:05 pm

I took measurements of the RTT and squat when we did that and what happened in the rear there. It's so close. Honestly, they are softer but you're talking about a few quarters difference in the squat between both.

Yes, 1-inch spacer, the attached however is without it. These are the first measurements, add one inch, and then compare >>

measurements.jpg
Awesome, thank you. Just wanted to be sure the Thuren rears would not be taller than factory, that would be going in the wrong direction. You and Damagewagon have confirmed that. :cheers:
“Furiosa”
2016 Power Wagon
White Knuckle Sliders
DOR Steering Brace
Dethloff Swaybar Spacers
AEV Procal

OffroadTreks

Post by OffroadTreks » Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:15 pm

They're taller out of the truck, but not in the truck. Me and DamageWagon think that the softness concern is overblown. They're softer, but the squat isn't like 3 inches vs 1 inch.
-------
------

Chromolykid
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by Chromolykid » Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:05 pm

Opposite of the 0.5” fronts. Shorter out of the truck, taller in the truck haha.
“Furiosa”
2016 Power Wagon
White Knuckle Sliders
DOR Steering Brace
Dethloff Swaybar Spacers
AEV Procal

OffroadTreks

Post by OffroadTreks » Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:48 pm

I was talking about the rears. The rears are taller.

The front 1.5's are the same height, but taller when the truck weight is on them.
-------
------

Chromolykid
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by Chromolykid » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:01 pm

I follow you, I was saying the 0.5” fronts are opposite of the rears. Rears are taller coils but shorter once installed, fronts are shorter coils but taller once installed. Although we’re not talking much difference either way, most people don’t care about a quarter of an inch... Though I did know a girl like that once.
“Furiosa”
2016 Power Wagon
White Knuckle Sliders
DOR Steering Brace
Dethloff Swaybar Spacers
AEV Procal

TankerZak
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by TankerZak » Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:19 am

I'm running Thuren 1.5 PW springs in the front and stock springs in the rear. Shocks and front trackbar are stock. Rear trackbar is Thuren. I have Ramboxes that I keep loaded with recovery gear. Snow chains, 25 ft of drag chain, 2 big ass snatch blocks, shackles, air compressor, etc.

I was about a half inch low in the rear. I added a Traxada 1 inch rear spacer and I now have a small rake. Maybe a .5 to 1 inch rake and removes the nose up illusion. Looks really nice on 37s.

We can take measurements of mine vs Mike's if that'd help.

My next step is probably kings, thuren rear coils, and rear sway bar extensions but i want to ride in Mike's truck first... lol. We are using the same 1 inch rear spacer.

I would definitely put the 1 inch spacer back in on stock coils. When I go to Thuren rear coils, I'm not 100% positive yet.
2016 Granite Crystal Metallic Power Wagon Laramie, graphics delete, debadged, Thuren front and rear coils, Thuren rear swaybar links, Thuren front and rear trackbars, Traxada rear 1 inch spacers, King 3.0 (Stage 4) front and 2.5 (Stage 3) rear shocks, Boogie front bump stops, Cooper STT Pro 37x13.50R17 on XD Machette 17x9 +18 wheels, Centramatics, 5.13 gears, DOR steering brace, Thuren truss, Thuren King Steering Damper, Synergy Steering Kit, Thuren PW front bumper, Thuren rear bumper, White Knuckle rock sliders, Dethloff skid plate, Dethloff rear sway bar spacers, Purple Cranium Half Spider front and rear diff guards, Airlift 5000 Ultimate airbags with Daystar cradles, Bakflip Revolver X2 tonneau, Factor55 Ultrahook with 100ft 7/16 A.R.E. Spidersilk synthetic winch line, Zroadz Grill with slim 20 inch light bar, DDM Tuning LEDs/HIDs, Rigid Side Shooter ditch lights, KC rock lights, Rigid fog lights, Baja Designs rear lights, Magnaflow 19200 modified with upgraded resonator and after axle dump, tinted front windows 35%.

Reloaderguy
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by Reloaderguy » Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:01 pm

I'm running a 1" spacer too. "Level" looks a bit odd.

olyelr
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by olyelr » Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:23 pm

I agree. When the truck is perfectly level (by measurement), it has the illusion the front is high. My suspension is stock with a 1.5” spacer, which by measurement still has 3/4”-1”of rake in the front. Looks about perfect.

cb1987
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by cb1987 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:07 pm

yellowranger1 wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:34 am
MikeKey wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:16 pm
Time to truss that axle. :cheers:
Not yet! But it's definitely in the cards for it down the road. I don't plan to beat on it as hard as some of the DTX guys do (thats what my Ranger is for) but it's definitely hard to keep your foot out of it when you're in the dirt lol. The truss is cheap insurance though. Seems like some never need it, and others bend the front axles super easily. I guess its a good thing our front ends are a bit lighter than the Cummins guys!

olyelr » Thats exactly what I've done in the past, and its always worked out well! I love having a new set of tires under the truck when possible and knowing they're up to the task no matter what, and not worrying that they're getting cracked/low on tread/beat up etc., plus, I just like the smell of fresh tires! These tires will be on the truck exactly 1 yr in Feb. Lots of tread depth left, but they are starting to show some wear from being in the dirt/rocks. I'm going to try to keep them on a while longer and then go up to a real 37 soon as there's a good way to carry a full size spare available. :wink:

So I got home from work a bit early yesterday... I'd had a redbull and was feeling motivated. I got out the jack stands and started tearing down the front suspension. I took my time with tear down and install, cleaned up the frame and coil buckets a bit, and from start to finish it took me about 4hrs and 2 beers working solo in the driveway. The Carli 3" Hemi Coils are in, as are the Carli/King 2.5s, all that's left for the front end is to readjust the track bar and re-center the steering.

I think I got the pics sorted out...

was going to take out my front springs soon and wonder if I can ask a few questions. it looks like a straight forward procedure for the most part. I don't have any tall jack stands so ill just use some large wood blocks to support the frame. does the frame need to be jacked up alot higher than its normal ride height to allow enough axle downward travel to get the springs out ? was there any specific reason you only used one jackstand to lower the axle ? I was planning to use two jacks and lower/raise it evenly on both sides. not sure if this will make the job any easier or not. is there any chance I could get the springs back in wrong or do they only sit in the buckets one way ? last thing I need is to do the job twice because I installed something wrong. appears ill have to remove tires and shocks then disconnect cad wires and possibly the diff breather hose. sway bar doesn't look like ill have to touch it

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor

Post by DamageWagon » Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:34 pm

Jack the frame up a few inches and support it just behind the radius arms. Put a jack under the diff and pull the tires off, droop the axle until the shocks are at idle and pull the lower shock bolts. Disconnect the locker wire. Unclip the axle breather hose up top at the frame. Lower the axle with the jack and BE CAREFUL not to stress the brake lines. Grab the springs and put the new ones in! Pay attention to coil orientation, it will be in the instructions. Reverse the process, it’s easiest to install the shocks when they’re at full extension and you can just slip the bolt through the brackets and shock eye.