Pennzoil Ultra Platinum rebate (for guys with the 6.4l)

If it's about Power Wagons, all generations, this is where it'll go. This is the original PWR Forum Power Wagon Technical Discussion Section. And this includes everything that doesn’t fit in any one of the other categories related to the truck goes here!
TwinStick

Re: Pennzoil Ultra Platinum rebate (for guys with the 6.4l)

Post by TwinStick » Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:10 pm

No, it was NOT from a long time ago. 3 yrs ago to be exact. He got his new truck just before I retired.

OffroadTreks
Model Year: 2015

Post by OffroadTreks » Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:12 pm

TwinStick wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:10 pm
No, it was NOT from a long time ago. 3 yrs ago to be exact. He got his new truck just before I retired.
Like I said, GM. :thppt:
2015 Power Wagon Laramie - "ROCKLANDER"
-------
[Build Thread] [Instagram] [Youtube]
------
Full-Size Off-Road Events & Overland Adventures

TwinStick

Post by TwinStick » Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:19 pm

:idea: What a novel idea ! Put in an inferior part that they KNOW with react badly with modern synthetics, blame the customers oil & say you should have "used our special-top secret oil" @ a stupid price......when all it is is cheap ass (in a monetary way-compared to full syn oil price) dino oil !!! :idea: Yes sir, some people call that good business practice, others, a Corporate Strategy. :secret: I call it "Losing". Cause' that's what they are doing. Losing customers, losing business & losing customer loyalty.

scoutpappa
50_Posts
50_Posts
Model Year: 2017

Post by scoutpappa » Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:31 pm

So I'll try again. No brand loyalty here. I'm used to flat tappet engines so have had ever decreasing options when it comes to zinc content so Rotella for my IH SV engines. I see people are using Amsoil, no Royal Purple, no Swepco, no BR Industries, some Penzoil, some Mobil, and still when you bring your truck to a oil change place they are drawing out of a big barrel of (place name of manufacturer here) that they swear by (insert best cost per barrel). I'm looking at running something that the shop can get local, that I can get local so I can carry a spare quart. I'll give the engine 10k and as it stands I'm only half a quart low at 5k (and I didn't check the first two weeks) so not thinking oil loss just break in.

OffroadTreks
Model Year: 2015

Post by OffroadTreks » Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:43 pm

TwinStick wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:19 pm
:idea: What a novel idea ! Put in an inferior part that they KNOW with react badly with modern synthetics, blame the customers oil & say you should have "used our special-top secret oil" @ a stupid price......when all it is is cheap ass (in a monetary way-compared to full syn oil price) dino oil !!! :idea: Yes sir, some people call that good business practice, others, a Corporate Strategy. :secret: I call it "Losing". Cause' that's what they are doing. Losing customers, losing business & losing customer loyalty.
You know what's worse about that with them, is you've got the same block in a few of the vehicles with different seals. Truck, Camaro, Corvette, and the first two will leak but they put a better one in the Corvette.

GM is the gold leader in how do we slowly ruin the brand with brilliant ideas like badge engineering. :lol:
2015 Power Wagon Laramie - "ROCKLANDER"
-------
[Build Thread] [Instagram] [Youtube]
------
Full-Size Off-Road Events & Overland Adventures

S3Rc51

Post by S3Rc51 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:30 pm

Is there really that many people with obnoxious lifter noise?? Luckily that hasn't crossed my radar yet, no issues with Mopar or the Pennzoil that's been in since the original post.

And hats off to Scoutpapa....as much I love an IH V8 (pretty much the diesel of the gas engine world), I didn't know you could get one WITHOUT a tick 🤣🤣. Then again, I never owned a fresh one.

I hope somebody got some use out of this. Or not. Maybe it DID just turn into another bickering "this vs that" oil thread hahahhaha. Oh well, I tried.
2017 Power Wagon, Delivered 2/6/17
2005 Neon SRT-4 ACR
2005 Honda RC51
1978 International Scout Traveler
1973 International Scout II
2010 Hyundai Genesis Sedan Ultimate for the wife

HeavyDuty
50_Posts
50_Posts
Model Year: 2014

Post by HeavyDuty » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:16 pm

So I went to the local napa today to get a price on the amsoil signature series 0w-40

The price
Was
$22 a fn litre.........

Sorry. Too rich for my blood. However Mobil 1 was on sale for $33 for a 4.4l jug.

That amsoil is fn rediculous
ONE SHOT, ONE KILL, NO EXCEPTIONS
“ROCKY MOUNTAIN” TESTED

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor
Model Year: 2011

Post by DamageWagon » Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:29 pm

Well don’t buy Amsoil from napa haha. I can hook you up with a dealer if you want, I think it was $12-13 a quart when I bought

olyelr
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2016

Post by olyelr » Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:48 pm

Yea its definitely not cheap. I get the oil and filter from a mechanic buddy of mine in trade for a $100 bill.
2016 Ram Power Wagon Laramie - Granite Crystal Metallic - Ramboxes - 35” AT3W - TazerRAM

:patriot:

HeavyDuty
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by HeavyDuty » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:35 am

I’m up here in Canada so that could be why the price is higher. But still a rediculous jump
“ROCKY MOUNTAIN” TESTED

waldo
250_Posts
250_Posts
Model Year: 2019

Post by waldo » Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:55 pm

I run the PUP in the 16 because I can buy it at the dealer cheaper with my discount. Comes to $8.20 a qt.

I don't get any lifter noise or tics. But one thing I notice is when that oil gets some miles on it the truck starts to stink of old oil, like from back when cars had open breathers. Goes away when you change it.
2007 and 2019 Power Wagons

HeavyDuty
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by HeavyDuty » Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:29 am

Found a dealer in Canada that sells wholesale for just over $11 a quart. Gonna buy two cases then I’m good for three years. Yessss
“ROCKY MOUNTAIN” TESTED

scoutpappa
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by scoutpappa » Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:39 pm

S3Rc51 wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:30 pm
Is there really that many people with obnoxious lifter noise?? Luckily that hasn't crossed my radar yet, no issues with Mopar or the Pennzoil that's been in since the original post.

And hats off to Scoutpapa....as much I love an IH V8 (pretty much the diesel of the gas engine world), I didn't know you could get one WITHOUT a tick 🤣🤣. Then again, I never owned a fresh one.

I hope somebody got some use out of this. Or not. Maybe it DID just turn into another bickering "this vs that" oil thread hahahhaha. Oh well, I tried.
So up to 10K and had one morning start up with a tick. Here is Houston we are at the part of the year where it can be 85 one day, 40 that night, freeze the next 4 days and then be 80 for the next week.

As for the scouts, no tick with ZDDP additive or with diesel oil...not even after a longer sleep in the garage (see above).

TwinStick

Post by TwinStick » Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:04 pm

Not exactly sure of how this could happen, but on a bottle of Lucas ZDDP TB-ZINC-Plus, I bought for lawn mower & snowblower, it says right on the directions "may cause damage to catalytic converters". "For these engines try Lucas Heavy Duty Oil Stabilizer. (part # 10001)

What would cause it to harm the catalytic converters ? If it leaked past the rings ? Is it so slippery that it could/would leak past the piston rings ?

My new front y pipe cost me :jawdrop: $1500, so I ain't gonna be the guinea pig on this.

FordyceCreekTrail
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by FordyceCreekTrail » Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:01 pm

Most modern transmissions blow if you don't use the exact oil. However its 100-125K oil changes which is bitchen. However on my 05 Xterra the metal in the cooling tubes inside the radiator were vulnerable to erosion from the transmission fluid and every one failed letting water into the transmission. Guys were on the forums BEGGING people to disconnect the coolers and add a remote one(which I did) and every day more deniers lost 7K transmissions. Fluid and materials DO matter that's for sure! Years later Nissan finally copped to it and paid for repairs.
2018 Flame Red, Moon Roof, Dual Alternators, Ram Boxes sadly Ram ran out of, Luxo Package with 8.4 UConnect, Enter and Go with remote start, Auto Wipers and Lights. Added missing skids and White Knuckle sliders. 35" BFG KM3s. Procal and Warn wireless remote for winch.

scoutpappa
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by scoutpappa » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:22 pm

TwinStick wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:04 pm
Not exactly sure of how this could happen, but on a bottle of Lucas ZDDP TB-ZINC-Plus, I bought for lawn mower & snowblower, it says right on the directions "may cause damage to catalytic converters". "For these engines try Lucas Heavy Duty Oil Stabilizer. (part # 10001)

What would cause it to harm the catalytic converters ? If it leaked past the rings ? Is it so slippery that it could/would leak past the piston rings ?

My new front y pipe cost me :jawdrop: $1500, so I ain't gonna be the guinea pig on this.
Added zinc is for flat tappet engines. Not applicable for us. Very necessary for old cast iron blocks though. Catalytic convertors have catalyst in them which react with certain chemicals so when you add something that they are not compatible with they will absolutely break down (think little BB that turns into mush) which is why we say they are plugged.