3g transmission advice

stamm20
50_Posts
50_Posts
Model Year: 2007

3g transmission advice

Post by stamm20 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:45 am

So the tranny is about shot in the ole girl don't have 4th or 5th and shifts pretty hard the rest of the time. I was looking some opinions on either a rebuild kit or if I'm better off buying a new transmission. I've done some research on it but there's not a whole lot out there for us 545rfe guys. Any opinions or adice would be great appreciated!!

:winchmob:
07 Brilliant Black Power Wagon
Current Mods: 35x12.50x17 Kelly Fierce Attitude M/T, DiabloSport Predator tuner, 3in Super 40 with 3in dump, TPS bypass, Pioneer touch screen Nav System with ipod hookup, Carli front diff gaurd, Fox adjustable steering stabilizer, Mopar steering box upgrade weathertec floor mats, Fox 2.0 performance shocks, hardwired lockers, evo swaybar disconnect

Yea Though I wheel through the valley of the shadow of death,
I will fear no evil: For thou lockers are with me;
Thy lift and thy tires, they comfort me.
Thou preparest a spotter before me in the presence of mine obstacles

RustyPW
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2008

Re: 3g transmission advice

Post by RustyPW » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:49 am

Think it's ATS that has a bad rap against them. PitSlave had one that was a POS. If you search thread threads. You might be able to find it.
PWOC #53
2008 POWER WAGON RC

My build thread. http://forum.powerwagonregistry.org/vie ... =13&t=2826 :cash: :cash:

Moab '09, '10, '12, '14.
Rausch Creek - Summer '10, Spring-Fall '11, Spring '12, Summer '13, Summer '14, Summer '15, Summer '16, Summer '17, Summer '18, Summer '20, Summer '22,
AOAA Summer '19.

Russ
NRA - Benefactor, Golden Eagle. :lockedandloaded:

stamm20
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by stamm20 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:03 am

Yeah I've heard some bad things about ats lately too
Current Mods: 35x12.50x17 Kelly Fierce Attitude M/T, DiabloSport Predator tuner, 3in Super 40 with 3in dump, TPS bypass, Pioneer touch screen Nav System with ipod hookup, Carli front diff gaurd, Fox adjustable steering stabilizer, Mopar steering box upgrade weathertec floor mats, Fox 2.0 performance shocks, hardwired lockers, evo swaybar disconnect

Colibri
1000_Posts
1000_Posts
Model Year: 2009

Post by Colibri » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:05 am

Sharadon makes a good performance 545rfe with tunes to back it up. ATS is garbage steer clear. If you don’t want or need “performance” then a stock rebuild will get the job done just fine. Maybe throw a transgo shift kit in it though. It’s a wash on price, you can rebuild what you have cheapest if you can do the work, but if you have to pay someone then rebuild/new oem/Sharadon are pretty much the same price. You’re going to spend around 2-3k. Whatever route you end up taking get a decent torque converter! The oem unit is lame, even if you’re not interested in performance get an aftermarket converter. It’ll be stronger and more durable and you WILL get better mpg and have less heat build up in the trans. Also get a 1ton oem transmission cooler. It’s huge and will keep your trans cool and happy for not much money
Central Texas and Houston area
2009 5.7 auto quadcab
Carli 3” coils deaver leafs 3” kings with 4 tube bypass rear and fr/rr hydro bumps
Howe steering pump and gear with hydraulic ram assist
Custom tube bumpers and white knuckle sliders
Creative fab trussed axle. rem polished and cryoed 5.13 gears with arb lockers fr/rr
Sharadon stage 2 545rfe with 3000 stall edge converter
Lots of other stuff lol

stamm20
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by stamm20 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:47 am

I'll look into the sharadon ones I plan on doing the rebuild myself if I got that route just unsure about it I don't have much help round here lol. What are some good torque converter options?

Colibri
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by Colibri » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:46 am

http://www.edgeracingconverters.com/545 ... fe-c-7_20/

http://www.circledspecialties.com/chrysler

I have an edge in my truck, huge improvement over stock. It’s like a different animal since the converter.

Circle D is more geared towards the higher end of the price spectrum but you really get what you pay for here. I have a circle d in my one ton baja van, it’s an absolute beast for towing and very efficient.

Also an option is a worked over valvebody from Sharadon and a stock rebuild. If you don’t tow heavy or really abuse it offroad or racing then you don’t really need the extra frictions and steels that he machines the case and baskets to accept. Go stage 2 on valvebody for firmer faster shifts. Stage 3 is for racing and would be harsh and annoying in a daily driver
2009 5.7 auto quadcab
Carli 3” coils deaver leafs 3” kings with 4 tube bypass rear and fr/rr hydro bumps
Creative fab trussed axle. rem polished and cryoed 5.13 gears with arb lockers fr/rr
Lots of other stuff lol

Pit Slave
Vendor
Vendor
Location: Sandy, Utah.. Moab, Jersey, Space Station, Baja.....

Post by Pit Slave » Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:20 pm

Randy's Transmissions is the way to go and I only say that because it has been great to work with them. They took my P.O.S. ATS and actually built it unlike ATS did. ATS has been known to use less then stock quality or the cheapest components they can find and over advertise it as top shelf performance as in my case. In laymen's scam people out of their money. So enough about ATS, lets talk about Randy's.

Randy's is great to work with and will only build what you need or what you want. They can also help make suggestions if you're not sure what you want and help come up with a solution that meets your needs. Randy's was able to rebuild my billet torque convertor and upgrade my over drive in the trans. When it came time to do the relearn on my truck, Jack, one of the managers, came to my house with the scan tool on his own time. There is a catch though, he just happed to be a 5 min drive from my house, lol.

A side note, Randy trusts his builds enough to do an abuse test on any trans after an install and guarantee it.
Nothing's more dead than a horse in a glue bottle.Image

There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation.
One is by the sword. The other is by debt.
John Adams - 1826

I guess you could say I'm a bit off center.....:D

stamm20
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by stamm20 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:42 pm

Hmmmm ok I'll look into all thanks guys!

TwinStick

Post by TwinStick » Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:00 am

Pit Slave wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:20 pm
Randy's Transmissions is the way to go and I only say that because it has been great to work with them. They took my P.O.S. ATS and actually built it unlike ATS did. ATS has been known to use less then stock quality or the cheapest components they can find and over advertise it as top shelf performance as in my case. In laymen's scam people out of their money. So enough about ATS, lets talk about Randy's.

Randy's is great to work with and will only build what you need or what you want. They can also help make suggestions if you're not sure what you want and help come up with a solution that meets your needs. Randy's was able to rebuild my billet torque convertor and upgrade my over drive in the trans. When it came time to do the relearn on my truck, Jack, one of the managers, came to my house with the scan tool on his own time. There is a catch though, he just happed to be a 5 min drive from my house, lol.

A side note, Randy trusts his builds enough to do an abuse test on any trans after an install and guarantee it.

:notworthy: This is MOST impressive !!!

You may want to check out this place as well: https://www.powertrainproducts.net/
They supposedly fix the known issues on their units before sending them out. If your stock unit lasted this long........this may last longer ???

coder
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by coder » Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:18 pm

I would take it to a reputable local transmission shop, with good reviews, etc. and have them rebuild yours that way they are nearby if there are any issues. Having to pull the transmission and ship it back an out of town company when there a issue is a major pain and expense.

I have checked into this in my area and its runs about $3000 out the door.

Having a rebuilt Mopar transmission put in at the dealer is a good option but not the cheapest.
Vehicle: 2007 Power Wagon Quad Cab - Factory Options (Inferno Red, Premium Cloth Bench Seat, Light Group, Automatic Transmission, Leather Steering Wheel)
Suspension: Carli 3" Hemi Coils, Carli Control Arms, Carli King 2.5 Pin-Tops, Carli Stainless Steering Stabilizer, Carli Trackbar | Synergy 1" Rear Shackle
Performance: Magnaflow Muffler | Magnaflow Y-Pipe
Wheels/Tires: Yokohama X-A/T 35x12.5x17
Steering/Drivetrain/Axles: Carli Front Diff Guard | Dynatrac Ball Joints | Mopar HD Steering Gear
Miscellaneous: Line-X Bedliner | Locker Bypass Switch | Mopar Rock Rails | Odyssey Extreme 65-PC1750T | Performance Friction Brake Pads | Weathertech Digital Fit Mats | Winch Thermal Protection Bypass

Colibri
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by Colibri » Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:39 pm

Shit, if you’re going to spend 3k you can get a factory new transmission

http://www.wholesalemopar.com/parts_catalog.html
2009 5.7 auto quadcab
Lots of other stuff lol

stamm20
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by stamm20 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:22 am

Yeah I was going to take it somewhere but there's no shops around me I would trust to work on bicycle even haha

coder
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by coder » Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:54 pm

Colibri wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:39 pm
Shit, if you’re going to spend 3k you can get a factory new transmission

http://www.wholesalemopar.com/parts_catalog.html
Out the door you'd be looking at about $5500 for a dealer to do the swap so that's almost double.
Vehicle: 2007 Power Wagon Quad Cab - Factory Options (Inferno Red, Premium Cloth Bench Seat, Light Group, Automatic Transmission, Leather Steering Wheel)
Suspension: Carli 3" Hemi Coils, Carli Control Arms, Carli King 2.5 Pin-Tops, Carli Stainless Steering Stabilizer, Carli Trackbar | Synergy 1" Rear Shackle
Steering/Drivetrain/Axles: Carli Front Diff Guard | Dynatrac Ball Joints | Mopar HD Steering Gear
Miscellaneous: Line-X Bedliner | Locker Bypass Switch | Mopar Rock Rails | Odyssey Extreme 65-PC1750T | Performance Friction Brake Pads | Weathertech Digital Fit Mats | Winch Thermal Protection Bypass

Colibri
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by Colibri » Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:45 pm

I was under the impression he was doing the work himself. Otherwise yes, dealer install would be very cost prohibitive and not worth it in my opinion.
2009 5.7 auto quadcab
Lots of other stuff lol

stamm20
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by stamm20 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:21 pm

Yeah I plan on doing it doing myself either way

TwinStick

Post by TwinStick » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:37 pm

Any updates ?

:popcorn:

stamm20
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by stamm20 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:24 pm

Not yet haven't had any chance to call around I have been working a lot lately.

nts007
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2008

Post by nts007 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:27 pm

Stamm I have a 09 tranny sitting here collecting dust. It only had 55k km on it. So 30k is miles. I was asking $1500 usd if that would be an option. I'm going to be in Moab end of April. It's just a thought.
08 ctd--mini max--thuren 3" coils and LT Leaves--4.56 gears and lockers in pw axles--some lights--afe intake system--bd super b turbo--Banks w/m Injection--Dynatrac Balljoints--king 2.5"s--37" Hankook Dynapro MT--DOR Long arms--Custom emf track bar--Manual T-case swap--Full PW Under armor--PSC Hydro Assist and so much more

stamm20
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by stamm20 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:48 pm

Well got in touch with sharadon and they don't build the 545rfe anymore due to issues with tuners.

Pit Slave
Vendor
Vendor

Post by Pit Slave » Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:47 pm

Randy's is still my vote. My second choice would be a capable local transmission shop.

John Adams - 1826

stamm20
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by stamm20 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:52 pm

I'll give Randy's a shout I wish there was a capable shop I put a request in at the dealership to see how much they would charge to rebuild it if I supplied all the parts

Pit Slave
Vendor
Vendor

Post by Pit Slave » Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:59 pm

Ask for Jack, one of the managers. Tell him Chris with the white creeper van sent you. 😁 AKA the neighbor with the red power wagon.

John Adams - 1826

coder
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by coder » Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:34 pm

stamm20 wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:52 pm
I'll give Randy's a shout I wish there was a capable shop I put a request in at the dealership to see how much they would charge to rebuild it if I supplied all the parts
Doesn't hurt to ask the dealer but they usually only do a swap with an already rebuilt factory unit and send yours back as a core. They haven't done actual rebuilds onsite for years...