Recent Warranty Work

If it's about Power Wagons, all generations, this is where it'll go. This is the original PWR Forum Power Wagon Technical Discussion Section. And this includes everything that doesn’t fit in any one of the other categories related to the truck goes here!
TommyG
250_Posts
250_Posts
Model Year: 2012

Recent Warranty Work

Post by TommyG » Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:55 am

2012 with 64,XXX on the odometer

Noticed a slow fluid leak on the right side. Was sure I would find an axle seal leaking but it turned out to be a transmission cooling line running past the right side of the motor. Had to be replaced. Glad I noticed before it failed completely and left me sitting.

Driver's side seat belt has been sluggish and/or would not retract. They are replacing the entire assembly. It will be here this week.

Surprise, surprise - left side wheel bearing. Also replaced.

The left front started to growl when I threw it into 4 high to drive in the snow about a week ago. I figured U joint or wheel bearing and made an appointment. Then I thought better have them look at this stupid seat belt while it is there. Luckily found the leak the day before I dropped it off. It was dripping onto the top of the right side frame rail and finally accumulated enough there to drip onto the ground. The girl at the desk looked at me like I was crazy when I started rattling all that stuff off in one visit. No drama about taking care of any of it from them.
2012 Power Wagon
White Knuckle Sliders, myoung locker bypass, Thuren Track Bar, Thuren Control Arms, Toyo Open Country RT 37x12.50, Method Race Wheels

FordyceCreekTrail
500_Posts
500_Posts
Model Year: 2014

Re: Recent Warranty Work

Post by FordyceCreekTrail » Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:17 pm

That is a lot of work for a super low mileage truck. Its the kind of thing that worries me about my long term satisfaction with Ram. My drivers seat belt retract er is operating like my Japanese counterparts did at around 150K. That is really annoying. I may need to get mine looked at as well. Stupid to be slamming a the door on a seat belt in a brand new vehicle. Only at 4K miles right now.
2018 Flame Red, Moon Roof, Dual Alternators, Ram Boxes sadly Ram ran out of, Luxo Package with 8.4 UConnect, Enter and Go with remote start, Auto Wipers and Lights. Added missing skids and White Knuckle sliders. 35" BFG KM3s. Procal and Warn wireless remote for winch.

TommyG
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by TommyG » Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:35 pm

I know. I love this truck and don't mind it right now because I have the extended warranty but I wonder how I will feel when two or three things go at once when I have to foot the bill. I am hoping that most of the gremlins work their way out before I am out of warranty.

It happens though. I was a Toyota guy forever until I went through the frame rust recall on my Tundra. It was paid for and that was going to be a long term keeper until the frame issue.

Have them look at your belt. Mine was doing exactly the same thing. I am guessing that they are having issues with a lot of them. They had to order one from their national warehouse and it was a week wait to get it.
2012 Power Wagon
White Knuckle Sliders, myoung locker bypass, Thuren Track Bar, Thuren Control Arms, Toyo Open Country RT 37x12.50, Method Race Wheels

FordyceCreekTrail
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by FordyceCreekTrail » Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:20 am

Leaky hose I get, it happens. But you do have to wonder why after all these years they struggle with something like unit bearings. Time will tell, so far pretty impressed with how the truck feels. Not as smooth as the Titan in some ways, like engine idle, but that's probably MDS. Had some hard clunks starting out a few times, but that may have been the transmission breaking in. Seems better now. I got some extra warranty as well.

Got my owners manual yesterday that they forgot to give me. I just assumed it was all on the U-connect.
2018 Flame Red, Moon Roof, Dual Alternators, Ram Boxes sadly Ram ran out of, Luxo Package with 8.4 UConnect, Enter and Go with remote start, Auto Wipers and Lights. Added missing skids and White Knuckle sliders. 35" BFG KM3s. Procal and Warn wireless remote for winch.

TommyG
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by TommyG » Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:13 pm

I don't think they want to fix the unit bearing thing. They are too busy selling them.

Don't get too worried. They are great trucks. I have appreciated knowing what issues others have had so I try to post if I have an issue. It has only been in once before this one for the exhaust stud issue that the 5.7s have. I had many more recalls and TSBs sideline my Tundra than this truck.
2012 Power Wagon

FordyceCreekTrail
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by FordyceCreekTrail » Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:52 pm

That is the good news, we tend to know the problems. Front suspension, Unit bearings, smart bar.....Hopefully no more transmission non-sense.

coder
1000_Posts
1000_Posts
Model Year: 2007

Post by coder » Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:25 pm

Hello TommyG,

A 3/4 ton 4x4 that is six years old, those don't seem like unreasonable repairs especially if you 'go off road. If it was me I would replace the other hub they usually fail pairs Rockauto has good prices, SKF makes the Mopar hubs.
Vehicle: 2007 Power Wagon Quad Cab - Factory Options (Inferno Red, Premium Cloth Bench Seat, Light Group, Automatic Transmission, Leather Steering Wheel)
Suspension: Carli 3" Hemi Coils, Carli Control Arms, Carli King 2.5 Pin-Tops, Carli Stainless Steering Stabilizer, Carli Trackbar | Synergy 1" Rear Shackle
Performance: Magnaflow Muffler | Magnaflow Y-Pipe
Wheels/Tires: Yokohama X-A/T 35x12.5x17
Steering/Drivetrain/Axles: Carli Front Diff Guard | Dynatrac Ball Joints | Mopar HD Steering Gear
Miscellaneous: Line-X Bedliner | Locker Bypass Switch | Mopar Rock Rails | Odyssey Extreme 65-PC1750T | Performance Friction Brake Pads | Weathertech Digital Fit Mats | Winch Thermal Protection Bypass

FordyceCreekTrail
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by FordyceCreekTrail » Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:59 am

Maybe heavy duty trucks require more repairs? That seems counter intuitive. But you have to recognize where Japanese truck buyers come from. I would not expect repairs at all under say 125K. I beat the snot out of my 05 Titan( took it off-roading some, live off-road, got stuck fourhweeling towing an excavator in mud, recovered many heavy duty trucks while building house....Ripped off nerf bar in the Devils Punch Bowl) and only replaced shocks, pinon seals and brakes on the lower half of the truck, even in 250K miles. ( also things like AC, Radiator, exhaust manifolds, and couple of oil lines) Hell I did not even check the oil. I was talking with a neighbor that traded an old Dodge he bought used in on a Tundra during the game last night, he is 51 and I am 48. We both grew up when American trucks were so bad it was insanity to buy one. He is still scared to buy one, even though that Old Dodge beater did pretty good for a few years. I told him with the quality improvements and the fact Japanese truck makers are no longer innovating with trucks( they want us to just buy because they are reliable) I had to give FCA a chance. I think it would behoove US truck makers to understand just how large of a market there is of buyers in my age range that feel the same. No doubt they do. But one reason I struggled with my purchase was knowing Unit bearings and ball joints wont last...yet on my Titan nothing like that ever had to be replaced......And I wanted to make sure the decades of legendary transmissions issues were over. However the 60K oil change intervals don't inspire confidence....If its just Unit bearings and ball joints in 150-200K then it will equal or exceed my Titans reliability. And lots of people I work with are extremely happy with new Rams so....Thing is, if my truck is Reliable, and if FCA keeps innovating I am known to be brand loyal.

TommyG
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by TommyG » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:13 am

coder wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:25 pm
Hello TommyG,

A 3/4 ton 4x4 that is six years old, those don't seem like unreasonable repairs especially if you 'go off road. If it was me I would replace the other hub they usually fail pairs Rockauto has good prices, SKF makes the Mopar hubs.
I will probably do the other side once it warms up here.

I sort of expected to need thing like this when I bought the truck. I did my homework first, hence the extended warranty. Wasn't really upset about it just wanted to put up an FYI in case anyone else runs into the trans line or seat belt issue. I knew the bearings were going to come up and am going to look hard at a free spin kit once the warranty is up. Somehow it makes me feel better to read here and find out something that is going on with mine is a known issue or has at least cropped with someone else in the group.
2012 Power Wagon

olyelr
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2016

Post by olyelr » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:07 am

Speaking of ball joints, any of you new truck owners have wobbly uppers yet? When i rotated my tires for the first time with under 3000 miles there was already a little play in them. I figured they came that way from the assembly line.
2016 Ram Power Wagon Laramie - Granite Crystal Metallic - Ramboxes - 35” AT3W - TazerRAM

:patriot:

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor
Model Year: 2011

Post by DamageWagon » Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:36 pm

It is a little funny to me how the new truck owners find so many little faults with their trucks. Ten years ago guys had real problems with their trucks. Now, it’s down to almost nothing. These trucks are already at the point of reliability of the old import vehicles, and hugely more capable. Sure we have unit bearings that go out, ball joints that wear. There are already excellent aftermarket solutions for those problems. Any gripes with the new Rams seem to be caused because the owner doesn’t actually have something real to complain about haha.

My truck has its own tales of reliability. There is no platform that I know of, especially including a Toyota, that could work law enforcement on a reservation for 100,000 miles, crash off the road and wrap a fence around the driveshaft, then get Kings added to it and pound whoops in the desert, and still with 180,000 miles have only minor repairs including one wheel bearing and some exhaust bolts. The only major repair on my truck was after the front driveshaft blew up and took the transfer case with it, but that’s a lack of maintenance problem. The newer trucks refined things way more than my 2011 and are even more reliable.

olyelr
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by olyelr » Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:32 pm

Yea my guess is the more problematic areas on the new trucks are gonna be electrical related issues more than anything. That alone made me swing for the lifetime warranty. Sure a lift and tires may void any drivetrain related issues but i will be damned if they claim it made a zillion dollar radio nav setup quite working.
2016 Ram Power Wagon Laramie - Granite Crystal Metallic - Ramboxes - 35” AT3W - TazerRAM

FordyceCreekTrail
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by FordyceCreekTrail » Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:44 pm

I really don't think so. Electrical Gremlin seem pretty rare on Rams. And things like Sat Nav are really solid. That being said my Garage door has un-programed 2 times and I am going to try to figure that out now. Anyone else have that issue?

olyelr
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by olyelr » Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:48 pm

No, not yet.

TommyG
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by TommyG » Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:35 pm

DamageWagon wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:36 pm
It is a little funny to me how the new truck owners find so many little faults with their trucks. Ten years ago guys had real problems with their trucks. Now, it’s down to almost nothing. These trucks are already at the point of reliability of the old import vehicles, and hugely more capable. Sure we have unit bearings that go out, ball joints that wear. There are already excellent aftermarket solutions for those problems. Any gripes with the new Rams seem to be caused because the owner doesn’t actually have something real to complain about haha.

My truck has its own tales of reliability. There is no platform that I know of, especially including a Toyota, that could work law enforcement on a reservation for 100,000 miles, crash off the road and wrap a fence around the driveshaft, then get Kings added to it and pound whoops in the desert, and still with 180,000 miles have only minor repairs including one wheel bearing and some exhaust bolts. The only major repair on my truck was after the front driveshaft blew up and took the transfer case with it, but that’s a lack of maintenance problem. The newer trucks refined things way more than my 2011 and are even more reliable.
You hit it. I thought at different times that my Tacoma and then my Tundra would be "the keeper". When I drive my Wagon I can't believe that I thought either of them was enough truck. I still get a huge grin when I walk out and see the Wagon the driveway. It would have to seriously be a basket case over and over again to make me want to part with it. I love that I can wheel the stuffing out of it then latch on to our 30 foot camper and cruise home at the end of the weekend in comfort.
2012 Power Wagon

DocPaulo
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by DocPaulo » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:54 pm

olyelr wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:07 am
Speaking of ball joints, any of you new truck owners have wobbly uppers yet? When i rotated my tires for the first time with under 3000 miles there was already a little play in them. I figured they came that way from the assembly line.
My uppers were tight but replaced it anyway. 42kmiles on them. Went emf
14 Laramie PowerWagon Desert Brown
Black 17 PW wheels with Falken AT3W 315/70/17
DIABLOSPORT T1000 canned tunes
Auxbeam 42 curved lightbar
Firestone airbags with daystar cradles
Maghytec transmission pan, carli front diff armor, rock crusher rear diff cover
Diamondback tonneau with crossbin
RANCHO 9000XL suspension
EMF ball joints
WhiteKnuckle sliders (on order)

TommyG
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by TommyG » Wed May 02, 2018 8:34 am

In this episode of I Love My Extended Warranty we replaced upper and lower ball joints on both sides, complete tie rod assembly, front pinion seal and a starter or ignition computer module (turn the key and get 12 to everything but it would not turn the starter over).
2012 Power Wagon

adeluca73
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by adeluca73 » Wed May 02, 2018 9:15 am

coder wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:25 pm
Hello TommyG,

Coder--an infinite well of knowledge about cost effective replacement parts, impressive.
2014 Ram PW SLT: 1st year of the Best Gen
<Build Thread>

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor
Model Year: 2011

Post by DamageWagon » Wed May 02, 2018 11:59 am

SKF hubs are the ticket!! Timkens suck on these trucks. SKF is also the Napa house brand for our trucks and comes with a lifetime warranty...