First Recovery

If it's about Power Wagons, all generations, this is where it'll go. This is the original PWR Forum Power Wagon Technical Discussion Section. And this includes everything that doesn’t fit in any one of the other categories related to the truck goes here!
FordyceCreekTrail
500_Posts
500_Posts
Model Year: 2014

First Recovery

Post by FordyceCreekTrail » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:58 pm

Last night actually. Left for an out of town job yesterday morning, get down the highway and I get the dreaded call....Wife forgot that our home is in 4x4 only zone these days and an employee got stuck in her van coming for some forms. She got her out and down the hill. Employee took a running start and floored it up the hill, and could not make it. Wife hooked up to her with the Four runner and even with rear diff lock on the van slid into a tree.(nasty tail gate dent) Wife went and got the Titan, had to jump start it. Brought it back up the hill for the employee to take to a job, got out and......shut it off. Walked home to get the Four Runner to come back and jump start the Titan.

I got home at 6:00PM, winched her part way up out of trouble but with the snow and ice she could not do a thing, so I slowly backed up the mountain(around a nasty bend so a long winching would have been a pain involving a snatch block), even locked up I had to jerk her one time a bit to get going again, dragged to top of mountain. Take Titan home, bring back her to go home in van. Geesh, as bad as spending all day on Thompson Hill.

Lessons learned; Never leave home, No 2wd on my snowy hill, Winch is handy,( easier then a strap if all else fails), Back up camera is nice in a situation like this, however confusing in snow and dark.
2018 Flame Red, Moon Roof, Dual Alternators, Ram Boxes sadly Ram ran out of, Luxo Package with 8.4 UConnect, Enter and Go with remote start, Auto Wipers and Lights. Added missing skids and White Knuckle sliders. 35" BFG KM3s. Procal and Warn wireless remote for winch.

ramv
500_Posts
500_Posts

Re: First Recovery

Post by ramv » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:31 pm

Also with winch, I have seen front axle components break during recoveries in reverse. Winch is much safer/reliable.
2016 Laramie; 5.13s, Locker Bypass, WK sliders, 35" Toyo MT, 2Lo Kit, ProCal, Hemifever tune, Airbags/Cradles, Thuren 2.5" King w/ Boogie Bumps, Warn SDP6000

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor
Model Year: 2011

Post by DamageWagon » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:43 pm

ramv wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:31 pm
Also with winch, I have seen front axle components break during recoveries in reverse. Winch is much safer/reliable.
Yes. Factually. Ring gears are enormously weaker on their ‘coast’ side. It is very easy to break the teeth off entirely on the ring gear by loading the truck in reverse. Winch and service brakes are your friend, your axle will thank you.

13BlkPowerWagon
50_Posts
50_Posts
Model Year: 2013

Post by 13BlkPowerWagon » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:50 am

Don't know how you were setup, but pulling out of a ditch is always difficult as like you said, the car wants to stay down there... If it's possible, hook a chain, strap, whatever to the back of that vehicle to an anchor on the high side of the ditch, perpendicular(ish) to how you'll pull them out. This will give you a point on the side that as you pull, will help pull the back end of the vehicle up the hill/ditch as well.

FordyceCreekTrail
500_Posts
500_Posts
Model Year: 2014

Post by FordyceCreekTrail » Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:34 pm

Never had trouble pulling in reverse before, but I have heard that. I think a light weight mini van would be ok though. Its crazy too, you can practically leave it in neutral to winch its so heavy :lol:
2018 Flame Red, Moon Roof, Dual Alternators, Ram Boxes sadly Ram ran out of, Luxo Package with 8.4 UConnect, Enter and Go with remote start, Auto Wipers and Lights. Added missing skids and White Knuckle sliders. 35" BFG KM3s. Procal and Warn wireless remote for winch.

Colibri
1000_Posts
1000_Posts
Model Year: 2009

Post by Colibri » Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:56 pm

2wagons blew up his front ring gear doing a snatch recovery on a f350 in reverse.
Central Texas and Houston area
2009 5.7 auto quadcab
Carli 3” coils deaver leafs 3” kings with 4 tube bypass rear and fr/rr hydro bumps
Howe steering pump and gear with hydraulic ram assist
Custom tube bumpers and white knuckle sliders
Creative fab trussed axle. rem polished and cryoed 5.13 gears with arb lockers fr/rr
Sharadon stage 2 545rfe with 3000 stall edge converter
Lots of other stuff lol

KevinABQ
250_Posts
250_Posts
Model Year: 2018

Post by KevinABQ » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:49 pm

Yikes!
2018 White Rambox, Diamondback HD bed cover, White Knuckle sliders, Carli and Purple Cranium diff guards, masterpull 11mm superline, 37 Toyo MT.