Winch rope

If it's about Power Wagons, all generations, this is where it'll go. This is the original PWR Forum Power Wagon Technical Discussion Section. And this includes everything that doesn’t fit in any one of the other categories related to the truck goes here!
Easttnrhino
250_Posts
250_Posts
Model Year: 2017

Winch rope

Post by Easttnrhino » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:35 am

This may have been answered already, sorry if it has but having trouble finding answer. Will 100' of 1/2" synthetic rope fit our winch spools? Has anyone tried it. Thanks
Enjoying beautiful east TN

Reloaderguy
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2016

Re: Winch rope

Post by Reloaderguy » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:21 pm

I have 100' of 7/16 and the drum is pretty full.

Idaho RC
Model Year: 2017

Post by Idaho RC » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:26 pm

I believe it comes with 85' of 7/16 wire rope. I have installed 100' of 7/16 synthetic so I also can confirm it does fit. Sorry I have no idea how much 1/2 will fit.

OffroadTreks
Model Year: 2015

Post by OffroadTreks » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:52 pm

Probably only around 80, with it being as full as 100 of 7/16th.

If you really wanted to go with the stronger rope, could do that and get an extension.
2015 Power Wagon Laramie - "ROCKLANDER"
-------
[Build Thread] [Instagram] [Youtube]
------
Full-Size Off-Road Events & Overland Adventures

Reloaderguy
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by Reloaderguy » Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:29 pm

If I had to do it over again I'd buy a 60' winch line and a 60' extension. 1/2" is completely overkill, the breaking strength of synthetic rope is not the main failure mode, it is abrasion.

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor
Model Year: 2011

Post by DamageWagon » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:36 pm

You guys mind fuck winch lines like bro’s mind fuck wheelzzz

TwinStick

Post by TwinStick » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:38 pm

Plus, you don't have to pull 80' off, to get a full power pull (the last wrap).

OffroadTreks

Post by OffroadTreks » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:20 am

According to DamageWagon wire is superior in every form to rope.
-------
------

KevinABQ
250_Posts
250_Posts
Model Year: 2018

Post by KevinABQ » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:30 am

Particularly superior in ability to kill you.
2018 White Rambox, Diamondback HD bed cover, White Knuckle sliders, Carli and Purple Cranium diff guards, masterpull 11mm superline, 37 Toyo MT.

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor

Post by DamageWagon » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:42 am

MikeKey wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:20 am
Most ways. I have better ways of blowing money when it’s burning a hole in my pocket haha

OffroadTreks

Post by OffroadTreks » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:45 am

DamageWagon wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:42 am
MikeKey wrote:
Most ways. I have better ways of blowing money when it’s burning a hole in my pocket haha
:rofl:

:popcorn:
-------
------

Reloaderguy
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by Reloaderguy » Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:49 pm

DamageWagon wrote:
MikeKey wrote:
I have a brand new wire rope in my garage if you want it. It's only a little rusty and the razor sharp wire frays don't look too bad.

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor

Post by DamageWagon » Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:55 pm

Reloaderguy wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:49 pm
DamageWagon wrote:
MikeKey wrote:
I have a brand new wire rope in my garage if you want it. It's only a little rusty and the razor sharp wire frays don't look too bad.
A little brake cleaner and a good rub against a rock should make it like new. I’ll leave it out in the sun to dry.

TwinStick

Post by TwinStick » Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:26 pm

I am still rockin' my wire rope too. I live in the rust belt, so......every single time i drive my truck in the winter, the synthetic rope would be covered in salt, sand & grit, GREATLY shortening it's lifespan. Wire rope don't care. Only 2 benefits to synthetic rope: weight savings & kinetic energy. 3-if you count the "cool factor". Both issues are usually overcome by most Power Wagon owners anyway, making them a non-issue.

A lift with diesel springs (to compensate for a heavy front bumper) cures the weight issue & most us us are pretty smart when using the winch, making the kinetic energy a non-issue. Most of us periodically inspect the truck for issues, why would you NOT inspect your winch line ?, especially knowing it can kill ? If it is frayed, it is like a flat tire with a large gaping hole in the sidewall---you would replace it, not reuse it.

:lol: Much a-do abouth nothing. Nothing to see here----keep it moving !!! :rofl:

OffroadTreks

Post by OffroadTreks » Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:30 pm

Every time I go to buy rope, I just think that I could be buying some other part I'll use more. 80ft of 7/16th plus a 50ft extension is like the price of something I need on Thurens website.
-------
------

Reloaderguy
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by Reloaderguy » Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:39 pm

TwinStick wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:26 pm

I am still rockin' my wire rope too. I live in the rust belt, so......every single time i drive my truck in the winter, the synthetic rope would be covered in salt, sand & grit, GREATLY shortening it's lifespan. Wire rope don't care. Only 2 benefits to synthetic rope: weight savings & kinetic energy. 3-if you count the "cool factor". Both issues are usually overcome by most Power Wagon owners anyway, making them a non-issue.

A lift with diesel springs (to compensate for a heavy front bumper) cures the weight issue & most us us are pretty smart when using the winch, making the kinetic energy a non-issue. Most of us periodically inspect the truck for issues, why would you NOT inspect your winch line ?, especially knowing it can kill ? If it is frayed, it is like a flat tire with a large gaping hole in the sidewall---you would replace it, not reuse it.

:lol: Much a-do abouth nothing. Nothing to see here----keep it moving !!! :rofl:
The largest factors degrading UHMPE and other Aramids is UV radiation. Most commonly found materials used in synthetic winch ropes do not react to salt, this is why they are also used in marine applications. One of the nice features of the PW is the bumper shields the rope from sunlight.

The weight difference between a 85' of 7/16" wire rope and 100' of 7/16" synthetic rope is only about 25lbs. Certainly not enough to feel in the front end.

I switched out the wire rope because I hate the way metal ropes handle; they're heavy all on their own and they have a memory. Synthetic ropes pull out cleanly into a pile and don't try to wind around your leg. If you actually have to use the entire cable you have to drag it 50', 60', 70', whatever, while it fights you the entire way.

Colibri
1000_Posts
1000_Posts
Model Year: 2009

Post by Colibri » Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:57 pm

I have wire and synthetic with hawse fairleads for each. When the truck is pulling farm and ranch duty it’s wire rope all day long. Holds up much better. I switch out to synthetic if I’m taking a big wheeling trip but most of the time it’s steel.
Central Texas and Houston area
2009 5.7 auto quadcab
Carli 3” coils deaver leafs 3” kings with 4 tube bypass rear and fr/rr hydro bumps
Howe steering pump and gear with hydraulic ram assist
Custom tube bumpers and white knuckle sliders
Creative fab trussed axle. rem polished and cryoed 5.13 gears with arb lockers fr/rr
Sharadon stage 2 545rfe with 3000 stall edge converter
Lots of other stuff lol

FordyceCreekTrail
500_Posts
500_Posts
Model Year: 2014

Post by FordyceCreekTrail » Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:40 pm

Synthetic is awesome if someone sinks a truck also, you just float the line down to them.....Oh ya, back way to Moab disaster for my 3rd and last time.....
2018 Flame Red, Moon Roof, Dual Alternators, Ram Boxes sadly Ram ran out of, Luxo Package with 8.4 UConnect, Enter and Go with remote start, Auto Wipers and Lights. Added missing skids and White Knuckle sliders. 35" BFG KM3s. Procal and Warn wireless remote for winch.

TwinStick

Post by TwinStick » Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:54 am

Reloaderguy wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:39 pm
TwinStick wrote:

The largest factors degrading UHMPE and other Aramids is UV radiation. Most commonly found materials used in synthetic winch ropes do not react to salt, this is why they are also used in marine applications. One of the nice features of the PW is the bumper shields the rope from sunlight.

The weight difference between a 85' of 7/16" wire rope and 100' of 7/16" synthetic rope is only about 25lbs. Certainly not enough to feel in the front end.

I switched out the wire rope because I hate the way metal ropes handle; they're heavy all on their own and they have a memory. Synthetic ropes pull out cleanly into a pile and don't try to wind around your leg. If you actually have to use the entire cable you have to drag it 50', 60', 70', whatever, while it fights you the entire way.
Yeah, I know. But the amount of grit & sand that would end up in mine would probably do major rope damage with just 1 pull. Too high maint for me & my area. Many people in the past have used weight savings as a justifiable excuse to get it. What ever works for them & makes em/or the wife sleep well. LOL

3rd Gens spec'ed 90' of 7/16" wire rope. Are they giving less with the new Gens ?

I tell people "the winch is for MY truck, if i spool it out for you, your gonna pay by the foot, both out & in !" I have not run across a stuck vehicle yet that i couldn't pull out. It may happen some day though. I saw a GREAT one just the other day ! :rockon: It was a brand spanking new blue 4 door ZR2 with a young kid driving. He hit a stretch of snow covered road & was going too fast. He went left, right & then it came around, he went off the edge of road, into a 6' deep ditch at an angle & d-side was about 6" from a telephone pole ! :rockon: I was on my way to the Dr. but i wouldn't have touched that one. Too new of a vehicle & too close to the t-pole, would not want to be accused of damage that he did. Been there-done that. :angry:

Low_Sky
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by Low_Sky » Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:44 am

TwinStick wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:54 am
Reloaderguy wrote:
TwinStick wrote:

Yeah, I know. But the amount of grit & sand that would end up in mine would probably do major rope damage with just 1 pull. Too high maint for me & my area. Many people in the past have used weight savings as a justifiable excuse to get it. What ever works for them & makes em/or the wife sleep well. LOL

3rd Gens spec'ed 90' of 7/16" wire rope. Are they giving less with the new Gens ?

I tell people "the winch is for MY truck, if i spool it out for you, your gonna pay by the foot, both out & in !" I have not run across a stuck vehicle yet that i couldn't pull out. It may happen some day though. I saw a GREAT one just the other day ! :rockon: It was a brand spanking new blue 4 door ZR2 with a young kid driving. He hit a stretch of snow covered road & was going too fast. He went left, right & then it came around, he went off the edge of road, into a 6' deep ditch at an angle & d-side was about 6" from a telephone pole ! :rockon: I was on my way to the Dr. but i wouldn't have touched that one. Too new of a vehicle & too close to the t-pole, would not want to be accused of damage that he did. Been there-done that. :angry:
I drove past a lady trying to get out of a ditch the other day. Her car had been there for three days, so I knew she wasn’t in dire need to get out. The way her car was high centered, I knew there would be damage if I pulled her out. I wouldn’t touch that one with a 10 foot pole.

A couple times a year I look at synthetic line, but haven’t felt justified to pull the trigger on it yet. My motivations are cold-related. Handling wire rope and metal hardware in the cold is no fun. I dream of a setup based on synthetic lines and soft shackles.
John
Alaska
2015 PW on 2.5" Thuren Kings
My build thread

Reloaderguy
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by Reloaderguy » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:45 am

TwinStick wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:54 am
Reloaderguy wrote:
TwinStick wrote:

Synthetic ropes are certainly less durable than steel, if you're rough handling your winch rope steel is probably a better fit. I don't use my winch very much so it's not a big deal. I like the way synthetic rope handles and it can be fixed if it gets cut. It's worth the trade off to me but it's not for everyone.

I'm pretty sure 3rd and 4th gen trucks have the same amount of cable so I could be wrong on the total length. Either way, I weighed the cable and it was only 25lb heavier than the synthetic rope. It's not heavy picking up the wire rope on its own, it's the handling and dragging when you feel the weight.

OffroadTreks

Post by OffroadTreks » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:28 am

Marcus always talks about dragging his rope over rocks and trees. I never get this argument. The winch isn't ground level, and when has anyone ever winched up a 90-degree angle over a sharp rock face? Could it happen? Sure. But let's be honest about the probability. And why is your winch line being dragged around a tree?

Honestly, the abrasion arguments seem overblown.

I almost feel like this is the fabled rear winch. Sounds amazeballs. How often are you going to actually use it?
-------
------

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor

Post by DamageWagon » Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:20 pm

MikeKey wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:28 am
Marcus always talks about dragging his rope over rocks and trees. I never get this argument. The winch isn't ground level, and when has anyone ever winched up a 90-degree angle over a sharp rock face? Could it happen? Sure. But let's be honest about the probability. And why is your winch line being dragged around a tree?

Honestly, the abrasion arguments seem overblown.

I almost feel like this is the fabled rear winch. Sounds amazeballs. How often are you going to actually use it?
Of the times I’ve used my winch, they’ve never been ideal. But yeah, spending money on a new ‘toy’ doesn’t make sense when it doesn’t give me anything. The perk I would get from synthetic is that it’s a little less likely to kill me if it snaps. That’s a big perk, but it’s the only one. I’m not going to spend a few hundred bucks in case, some day, when I just happen to be in 0-degree weather, and have to use my winch, it will be a little easier on my hands to move my cable. For how often I use it I’m willing to put up with some hassle.

OffroadTreks

Post by OffroadTreks » Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:03 pm

That is a good argument for the "how often"

I have only used my winch 3 times now. In two years. And one time I should of been using a strap. So... I'm still not sure if it's a worth while investment.

That being said, when I helped Mike pull his rope up to the other Mike last year in Moab, I almost fell over because I put to much weight into it and was really surprised how lite it was. It was nice not being over exerted when going up a hill.
Last edited by OffroadTreks on Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-------
------

Shaved Ice
50_Posts
50_Posts
Model Year: 2014

Post by Shaved Ice » Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:03 pm

I agree with DamageWagon. Also, my first criteria for almost everything I buy is durability. Cable is overall more durable than rope, so that is where I lose interest in the limited benefits of rope.
2017 Power Wagon
Laramie
Granite Crystal Metallic
Rambox
.188" DOM White Knuckle Rock Sliders

2007 Power Wagon (sold)