Big Time shudder at low speed/low pedal

If it's about Power Wagons, all generations, this is where it'll go. This is the original PWR Forum Power Wagon Technical Discussion Section. And this includes everything that doesn’t fit in any one of the other categories related to the truck goes here!
stooper
Model Year: 2010

Re: Big Time shudder at low speed/low pedal

Post by stooper » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:16 am

i use an impact hammer with chisel bit to turn the bolt head.
sounds like front shaft issue, i have seen many bad cardans.
must keep it lubed.

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor
Model Year: 2011

Post by DamageWagon » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:23 pm

hemihead2 wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:06 am
So I took another tranny guy for a ride and he really thinks it's the front drive shaft. Im in the process of pulling it but the. problem is one of the T40 bolts to the front axle flange is stripped....my luck isn't the best lately. Anyone have any ideas how to get it out? It was really on there tight before it stripped...I even heated it up with a torch and PB blaster!
Yep, torch and PB Blaster. Don’t fry the pinion seal! You can take the other bolts out and then remove the driveshaft, then that should expose what’s left of the bolt assuming it didn’t break at the bore. You can weld a nut on it or use an EZ Out.

I started a thread on DTX, I bought a big bag of Class 10.9 hex head bolts to replace those Torx fasteners from the front driveshaft because they break all the time. If you want a set PM me

hemihead2
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by hemihead2 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:54 pm

Ugh! So I torched two bolt heads off and removed the front driveshaft...the symptoms are the same if not worse!! I rordered (and prepaid) new bolts already before I read your offer Damage- sorry. I would have gladly bought yours instead.

I truly hope this doesn't happen to anyone else, it's beyond frustrating....So I talked to the second tranny guy and he said that a converter shudder is not my problem, that occurs at higher speeds than where mine is happening.... I'm back to square one again I guess

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor

Post by DamageWagon » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:21 pm

I don’t make money off em. $6 I’ll ship you a set of hex heads so you don’t have to screw with torx bolts that shear off again.

Bummer! Might be time to pull the transfer case and check the input bearings. If your symptoms are same or worse with front shaft off, it might be right at the breaking point. Probably best to park it and figure it out. If you’re savvy you can probably drop the transfer case and trans yourself and at least dig around. You don’t need to build it yourself but if you separate the two you should be able to start seeing things like output shaft and bearings.

hemihead2
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by hemihead2 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:47 am

Well, back to the shop today. Wish me luck. I pricing transfer cases just as a precaution. What would you do if needed? Rebuild the original one, buy remanned? Buy new? Thanks all.

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor

Post by DamageWagon » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:10 am

If it’s the transfer case you could even buy a junkyard one. They’re very stout cases, the same one is used up to the 5500 trucks and is shared with modifications by Ford. If that’s not cost-effective next to a remanned one or parts then it’s up to you which route to go, depending on how intimate you want to get with your truck. I like to see which part got fried so I lean towards rebuilding. There was a company in central California I believe that has these cases rebuilt. Just gotta make sure it’s the transfer case first.

Have you checked the fluid level? Are you using ATF or gear oil?

hemihead2
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by hemihead2 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:26 pm

HUMBLE PIE! We ran the truck with the rear wheels on a lift and still felt the shudder. After we lifted the whole truck up we discovered that the front u-joint on the rear drive shaft was indeed bad- but only in one orientation- otherwise it behaved like a normal joint. I can't believe that was all it was, but it certainly was the cheapest fix! Thanks guys for all your input.