Anyone have any experience with this bypass lit
https://www.kinnettickreations.com/prod ... ker-bypass

blindsquirrel33
50_Posts
50_Posts
Model Year: 2011

Re: Locker bypass kit

Post by blindsquirrel33 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:25 pm

$200.00 for a harness? I'd like to see a photo of the harness not installed, in order to see what the entire assembly consists of before buying.

Reloaderguy
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2016

Post by Reloaderguy » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:37 pm

You could probably make the kit yourself for $20. $200 just to ride around with poor transmission mapping is laughable.

jlilnc14
Model Year: 2014

Post by jlilnc14 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:39 pm

I had pre-ordered this bypass kit but then heard he was going to make one that uses the factory switch and won't have shifting problems. So I had him not ship me this one and just put the $200 towards the better one. I think he said it might be a few months to make them.
2017 Ram Power Wagon - Bright Silver

olyelr
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by olyelr » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:04 pm

jlilnc14 wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:39 pm
I had pre-ordered this bypass kit but then heard he was going to make one that uses the factory switch and won't have shifting problems. So I had him not ship me this one and just put the $200 towards the better one. I think he said it might be a few months to make them.
I will get in line right behind you for this. I tried the prior route and didnt like the odd shift mapping along with the slightly escalated idle.
2016 Ram Power Wagon Laramie - Granite Crystal Metallic - Ramboxes - 35” AT3W - TazerRAM

:patriot:

RustyPW
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2008

Post by RustyPW » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:19 pm

I paid $45.00 for mine way back when. :lol:
PWOC #53
2008 POWER WAGON RC

My build thread. http://forum.powerwagonregistry.org/vie ... =13&t=2826 :cash: :cash:

Moab '09, '10, '12, '14.
Rausch Creek - Summer '10, Spring-Fall '11, Spring '12, Summer '13, Summer '14, Summer '15, Summer '16, Summer '17, Summer '18, Summer '20, Summer '22,
AOAA Summer '19.

Russ
NRA - Benefactor, Golden Eagle. :lockedandloaded:

Easttnrhino
250_Posts
250_Posts
Model Year: 2017

Post by Easttnrhino » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:20 am

Keep us posted on the bypass that may seem high but I cannot engineer it or wire from scratch if it's plug and play that cool.
Enjoying beautiful east TN

Kinnettic

Post by Kinnettic » Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:58 pm

Here's updated pics of the kit in question. Unfortunately for this one, to make it plug-and-play, I needed to manufacture the male connectors that connected to the factory connector that goes to the sensor. The female ones are readily available and I already had the terminals in stock for them along with the male terminals, but per the manufacturer of that connector, they never made a male for it. It's only use is to plug into devices, nothing inline. So while it's found in several vehicles over the years for this and coils, it was never used with wires on the other side. Otherwise it would be a much less expensive setup. It is what it is with that, I have quite a bit of money and even more time into being able to manufacture the males.

I am working on a plug and play solution that uses the knob and doesn't care about what position you have the transfer case in, hopefully have the modules designed soon and a few prototypes in my hand by the end of the month. But for now, this is the only solution on the market at all to allow you to use the locking axles in any gear without hacking into your harness. Sure you can run a set of switches to the lockers, anybody can hack in a set of switches to turn them on!
Attachments
IMG_20180111_125651.jpg
IMG_20180111_125705.jpg
IMG_20180111_125713.jpg
IMG_20180111_125718.jpg
IMG_20180111_125835.jpg

ToddKaz
Model Year: 2014

Post by ToddKaz » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:51 pm

I am ready to buy when you have a system available. I changed to 4.88 gears and somehow that has totally messed with my ability to lock my front. With diff cover off and power to the actuator everything is fine.....try to lock through the factory switch doesn't work. Anyway I am looking forward to trying something new and also have the ability to lock when I want in the snow....high or low.
Thank you!!
2014 Laramie 3500 CTD - AEV Dual Sport - AEV Diff Covers - AEV Bumper 15k Warn - AEV Salta's - 37" Pro Comp MT2 - 4.10 ARB front/rear - HNC rear winch bumper
2016 Laramie 2500 Power Wagon - 4.88 - Leveling Kit - 37" STT Pro - Mopar Step - Transfer Flow Bed Tank
2016 Rubicon - 40" MT2 - 5.13 - Currie 60 Rear - Teraflex 44 Front - 10k Warn - Teraflex 6" long arm - MetalCloak fender system - PSC steer - ATX beadlocks - Reid Racing Knuckles

Reloaderguy
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by Reloaderguy » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:41 pm

Kinnettic wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:58 pm
Here's updated pics of the kit in question. Unfortunately for this one, to make it plug-and-play, I needed to manufacture the male connectors that connected to the factory connector that goes to the sensor. The female ones are readily available and I already had the terminals in stock for them along with the male terminals, but per the manufacturer of that connector, they never made a male for it. It's only use is to plug into devices, nothing inline. So while it's found in several vehicles over the years for this and coils, it was never used with wires on the other side. Otherwise it would be a much less expensive setup. It is what it is with that, I have quite a bit of money and even more time into being able to manufacture the males.

I am working on a plug and play solution that uses the knob and doesn't care about what position you have the transfer case in, hopefully have the modules designed soon and a few prototypes in my hand by the end of the month. But for now, this is the only solution on the market at all to allow you to use the locking axles in any gear without hacking into your harness. Sure you can run a set of switches to the lockers, anybody can hack in a set of switches to turn them on!
The problem with the 4Lo hack is the truck drives like it is in 4Lo when it isn't. The performance would be better if you made a T-harness with diodes and used two switches in the plate above the e-brake. There is nothing "hack" about that approach, in fact, it would work better than your $200 option. There are a bunch of locker bypass kits in use, why don't you copy that design? I works fine.

Kinnettic

Post by Kinnettic » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:22 am

Double post
Last edited by Kinnettic on Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kinnettic

Post by Kinnettic » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:23 am

Reloaderguy wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:41 pm
Kinnettic wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:58 pm

The problem with the 4Lo hack is the truck drives like it is in 4Lo when it isn't. The performance would be better if you made a T-harness with diodes and used two switches in the plate above the e-brake. There is nothing "hack" about that approach, in fact, it would work better than your $200 option. There are a bunch of locker bypass kits in use, why don't you copy that design? I works fine.
I'm aware of the downfalls of the first kit, I don't have a PW. I was approached by an owner of one and developed the kit in a few weeks since people wanted to use the knob. I'm working on a better solution. As for copying other kits, no thanks. I don't copy stuff. Hell I was already threatened with an attorney over this kit because it is apparently someone else's design! Nothing ever came of it though, not that I was surprised. I doubt anybody else ever manufactured the male connectors anyways.

I'll be working on the circuit board design tonight anyways. I have the code written and made a breadboard back on Thanksgiving that functioned with LEDs using a Neon TPS instead of the actual knobs just for proof of concept. I have since ordered one of each knob to use to test the setup once I get some more pieces in my hand that should be here tomorrow. It'll work off the stock knob and plug into the stock harness with a T-harness, fuse, ground, and plug right into the front and rear lockers. I can get all those connectors easily, I've already looked over a 2016 PW and almost had them in stock already from another product. Just wrong pin count.

Here's a crude phone video of the LEDs lighting up as I rotate the TPS. The module will see the knob output and control the lockers based on that.

https://www.facebook.com/jacob.kinnett. ... 217205575/

olyelr
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by olyelr » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:59 pm

Sounds good! Cant wait!

Will that new design have a main disable switch for it, by chance? Like a small toggle switch (that can be discretely hidden) so people (my wife!) don't accidentally turn the lockers on while cranking down the highway.
2016 Ram Power Wagon Laramie - Granite Crystal Metallic - Ramboxes - 35” AT3W - TazerRAM

Kinnettic

Post by Kinnettic » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:25 pm

olyelr wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:59 pm
Sounds good! Cant wait!

Will that new design have a main disable switch for it, by chance? Like a small toggle switch (that can be discretely hidden) so people (my wife!) don't accidentally turn the lockers on while cranking down the highway.
I can easily put one under the hood next to the box, or you could just pull the fuse in the kit that feeds the module. Nobody asked anything like that yet! Your wife likes to turn the knob while driving?

olyelr
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by olyelr » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:40 pm

Kinnettic wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:25 pm
olyelr wrote:
Sounds good! Cant wait!

I can easily put one under the hood next to the box, or you could just pull the fuse in the kit that feeds the module. Nobody asked anything like that yet! Your wife likes to turn the knob while driving?

Ha, I doubt it. But I would just like a failsafe type setup. I had a very simular setup to your prior setup that tricks the truck into thinking its in 4-lo. Could engage it by one of the overhead door buttons... guess who drove to town and back one morning with it in "4-lo" :roll: ... as I am hungover in bed missing texts and calls from my wife wondering why my damn truck is shifting all screwy and showing its in 4-lo. (I did not mention anything about the "button" to her previous to it, so my fault I guess).

My JKUR I installed a kit that turned the lockers on and off anytime I wanted, but there was a "main" switch which could disable everything. If I was adding switches for the lockers in this truck I guess I wouldnt be quite so concerned (I could hide them), but if it is utilizing the factory knob, I would really prefer a second switch (again, that I could hide) which disables the entire thing. Is that doable?

Kinnettic

Post by Kinnettic » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:42 pm

olyelr wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:40 pm
Kinnettic wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:25 pm
olyelr wrote:
Sounds good! Cant wait!

Ha, I doubt it. But I would just like a failsafe type setup. I had a very simular setup to your prior setup that tricks the truck into thinking its in 4-lo. Could engage it by one of the overhead door buttons... guess who drove to town and back one morning with it in "4-lo" :roll: ... as I am hungover in bed missing texts and calls from my wife wondering why my damn truck is shifting all screwy and showing its in 4-lo. (I did not mention anything about the "button" to her previous to it, so my fault I guess).

My JKUR I installed a kit that turned the lockers on and off anytime I wanted, but there was a "main" switch which could disable everything. If I was adding switches for the lockers in this truck I guess I wouldnt be quite so concerned (I could hide them), but if it is utilizing the factory knob, I would really prefer a second switch (again, that I could hide) which disables the entire thing. Is that doable?
Of course it's doable, I can put an optional switch in the kit that shuts down the whole setup so turning the knob does nothing at all.

olyelr
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by olyelr » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:34 pm

Kinnettic wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:42 pm

Of course it's doable, I can put an optional switch in the kit that shuts down the whole setup so turning the knob does nothing at all.
Now we're talkin'.

It might not be that important to some people. And honestly it is not extremely important to me (my wife and I are the only two souls that have driven my truck yet... and she takes directions well :D ). But, it seems like a very worthwhile addition to the kit, just for the stupidity safety factor.

Kinnettic

Post by Kinnettic » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:41 am

True, I hadn't thought of it but I guess I have too much faith in the general public to think of all that stuff!

Idaho RC
Model Year: 2017

Post by Idaho RC » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:30 pm

I wold like one of the kits you are working on.

Retired BLM Rig
1000_Posts
1000_Posts
Model Year: 2008

Post by Retired BLM Rig » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:04 am

Welcome to the forum Kinnettic,
Will your next kit work on 2005-2009 3rd gen. trucks or just 4th gen. and newer?

Also, reading your instruction sheet in the photo you attached, based on past experience, the 210 Ω resistance was used from 2005-2011, as long as the New Process #271 transfer case was used. In early 2012 Ram began using the Borg Warner transfer case and the resistance changed to 60 Ω and is still the current spec as of 2017.

Good luck with your next project, there's a huge amount of interest in what you're working on.
And after you're done with that, feel free to work on a kill switch to turn off the ABS, ESC, and traction control nannies. Some of the young whipper snappers on this forum want to engage in donut shenanigans at the flip of a switch. :lol: :popcorn:

olyelr
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by olyelr » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:56 am

Retired BLM Rig wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:04 am
Will your next kit work on 2005-2009 3rd gen. trucks or just 4th gen. and newer?

Also, reading your instruction sheet in the photo you attached, based on past experience, the 210 Ω resistance was used from 2005-2011, as long as the New Process #271 transfer case was used. In early 2012 Ram began using the Borg Warner transfer case and the resistance changed to 60 Ω and is still the current spec as of 2017.

Good luck with your next project, there's a huge amount of interest in what you're working on.
And after you're done with that, feel free to work on a kill switch to turn off the ABS, ESC, and traction control nannies. Some of the young whipper snappers on this forum want to engage in donut shenanigans at the flip of a switch. :lol: :popcorn:

Well I certainly dont feel as young as I thought I was :lol:

Yes, Kinnettic, BLM has a great point here. Please work on a shut off switch for the electronic nannies also. The truck is so much more enjoyable to drive off road without that crap. Im sorry, but pushing the button and putting it in 4lo does not shut it all off. And rather than popping the hood and pulling a fuse every time, I would much rather just flip a discretely hidden switch. Then, if I do JUST HAPPEN to want to drift the truck sideways around my culd de sac without pulling a fuse, I CAN.

Kinnettic

Post by Kinnettic » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:57 pm

Retired BLM Rig wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:04 am

Yes, the kit will work in all the trucks. I have all 3 versions of the knob to test that aspect, and the only thing the transfer case sensor will be used for in the new kit is to unlock the swaybar, which I can't easily get around without doing the 4LO trick. But the lockers will work without the 4LO trick since the module will directly control them. It'll see input from the knob, and turn on the appropriate locker solenoids based on that alone.

As for the rest of the stuff, I'll have to see. I don't have easy access to an actual PW like I do the Neons my business is focused on. I can get those for $200 all day, but not PW's. If it's as simple as pulling a fuse, I can look into something that can do the same thing with a switch and relay. But no idea on an ETA for something like that. Hopefully I can get the v2 locker bypass kit done in the next 2 months.

As for the 210 ohm resistance, I was given some bad info on those where it was 45 ohms for the 2005-2011 trucks, but after some troubleshooting over the phone in a Radio Shack parking lot with a guy that had a 2005, we came up with the 210 ohm resistor. I put them all in the kit for now but may just put in the 210 and 60 if that's what the two options are.

ramv
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by ramv » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:59 pm

Just signing up for a 2016 locker bypass kit when available.
2016 Laramie; 5.13s, Locker Bypass, WK sliders, 35" Toyo MT, 2Lo Kit, ProCal, Hemifever tune, Airbags/Cradles, Thuren 2.5" King w/ Boogie Bumps, Warn SDP6000

Jmarklowitz

Post by Jmarklowitz » Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:11 pm

Please add me to the list. I'll buy one. I would buy the nanny switch too if you ever build something like that. Great job!
2016 Laramie PW

olyelr
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by olyelr » Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:01 pm

ramv wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:59 pm
Just signing up for a 2016 locker bypass kit when available.
Jmarklowitz wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:11 pm
Please add me to the list. I'll buy one. I would buy the nanny switch too if you ever build something like that. Great job!

D D D D D D D D DITTO.